“Great value for the money”
Review of Legacy By The Sea

Legacy By The Sea
Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Panama City Beach
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great value for the money”
Reviewed September 1, 2009

Upon arriving at Legacy by the Sea, we were greeted by Karen, who works at the front desk. She was very cheerful and accommodating. She told us about our room and gave us directions on parking.

We went up to our room (on the 14th floor) and it had everything you would need. A king size bed, a kitchenette and a bathroom. Past the kitchenette was the living room with a couch and a gliding chair. There's also a balcony with two chairs and the view was absolutely incredible. All the rooms at Legacy by the Sea have gulf views, which is a big plus. Everything was nice and clean and the AC worked REALLY WELL.

Even though Legacy was probably at 80 percent capacity, it was actually very quiet. I never noticed much noise, even during the day. The staff was incredibly nice, especially Karen, who went out of her way to make sure everything we needed was taken care of.

I didn't get a chance to eat at Barefoot Beach Club which is located next door. This is also where I parked, due to my schedule and all the parking spaces being taken when I arrived back at my room at night. The walk from Barefoot to the Legacy is maybe 50-100 feet. Not much of a walk at all if you've ever stayed at a large hotel.

Overall, I'd give it 4.5 stars out of 5. It's a great value for the money.

On a personal note, I wish the hotel was smoke-free. Nothing like going out on the balcony for some fresh air, only to have it invaded by a continuous chimney of nicotine obnoxiousness one floor down.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Snoop23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Louisiana
Reviewed August 27, 2009

This hotel was great for our trip. Beautiful view of the beach. Our room was clean and roomy. We stayed for a week, and honestly, this placed definately helped us feel more at home. The only, I guess, "negative" things I have to say is that the breakfast isn't very great, but we brought food to cook in our room anyway. The parking isn't all that bad, but I could see that during the peak of summer that it could present a problem. Just drive around a little while, or go around the block, and you'll find a spot. Upon check-in, the lady at the front desk was very courteous and willing to help us with whatever we needed. It did not take us long to check-in, nor did it take long to check-out. We had a great time, and when we do decide to go back to Panama City Beach, we will be staying at The Legacy. Also, I recommend eating at Hunt's Oyster Bar. It may look like a hole in the wall, but trust me, the food is GREAT!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank apollocy22
Dadeville, Alabama
Reviewed August 24, 2009

The Legacy is centrally located and provides comfortable accomodations in a family friendly atmosphere. There is easy access to the beach with a beautiful view from the rooms. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome and make sure you are comfortable. It is near Pier Park with a host of excellent restaurants and other amusements. The Barefoot Beach Club is right next door and provides reiaxed beach side dining with tasty food and beverages. Our trip to the Legacy is an annual family favorite.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank shareflyn
Chatsworth, Georgia
Reviewed August 20, 2009

My family consists of myself, my husband and two children ages 7 and 9. We just completed our first stay at Legacy by the Sea and couldn't have been more pleased for the price we paid.

Upon checking in I came in contact with another guest at the check in desk. She identified herself as a repeat visitor and asked if I had stayed there before. When I answered 'no' she replied; "Once you've stayed here you won't want to stay anywhere else." True to her word, as a traveller who has visited Panama City more than 15 times, I do believe I have found my new 'home away from home' in Panama City Beach at the Legacy.

ROOM: Our room was the standard room with two double beds. It was more than enough room for our family. The room consisted of the two beds in the bedroom on the street side, a small kitchen and a bathroom in the middle and a living room on the beach side with a fold out bed. Yes, the room can easily accomodate 6 people. Both the living room and the bedroom had a television.....saving the remote wars between dad and the kids at night, and freeing mom up to soak in the bath or chill on the patio with a good read. My husband and I decided to relent the bedroom to the kids and enjoy the fold out sofa for our bed. Not a problem at all....one of the more comfortable fold out beds I had ever slept on.

No problems at all to speak of with the cleanliness or funtionality of the room. I've seen some interesting past reviews where people complain about the least little thing (a crack in the floor tile......a little space between the door frame and the door that a bug can't even get through.....really folks? For the price being charged, the stuff isn't even worth mentioning!). Okay, if you are one of these sensitive people....there was some rust around the door on the outside of the balcony...that's it. I'll gladly pay 60% less than I would be charged for a gleeming condo and deal with the rust.

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST: Was so so, but face it, it's free! And out of all the places I've stayed in Panama, this is the only one I've stayed in that offered FREE breakfast. It was a little more than I expected from past reviews. The entire spread consisted of two kinds of muffins, yogurt, two kinds of bagels, apples, fruit loops, and another cereal that I believe was raisin bran, as well as apple and orange juices and coffee.

INTERNET: Only available in the lobby. They have one desk with a computer that guests can use for complimentary access, but you can also connect via wi-fi. Bring your laptop!

JACUZZI: Extra hot and could probable accomidate 10 people. Very nice in cooler weather or at night, but you want to avoid it in hot days.

POOL: A little small, I believe, for a hotel this size, but while we were there it was never overcrowded....might be in more poplutated times such as 4th of July.

PARKING: Before you relent to parking behind the gas station across the street, be sure to check the what seemed to be often forgotten garage behind the pool area. We often returned to find the front full, but ample parking in the basement garage.

BEACH: Beautiful just as it is in front of every other PCB hotel/condo.

PERKS: Barefood Beach Club, a restaurant owned by the hotel, is right next door and kids eat free. We did not try it this time, but it seemed to have a great menu and we certainly would have given it a try if we had the time and the money. Also, Pier Park is simply a stroll down the beach away! There is also a convienence store directly across the street.

SUMMARY: The Legacy will probably see us as repeat customers if rates remain fantastic. If you are even thinking about staying there, be sure to check their website before you purchase a room from any of the popular booking agents. I found the room cheaper by booking direct....they even have a guarantee that if you find a cheaper rate somewhere else, they will meet and beat it!

On the way home I asked my kids that when we came back to Panama, if they would rather stay at the Legacy or at an old favorite, Holiday Inn Sunspree. (Assuming they would choose Holiday Inn for the great kids activities....we just couldn't affort the rates this vacation). To my delight, they also said they preferred the Legacy. They liked having more space to spread out in the hotel room!

1 Thank ngachick
alabama
Reviewed August 14, 2009

This was not a good place to stay unless you mind nasty food left in the furniture from previous guests, foul smelling carpet in room which was reminiscent of dirty feet, and parking behind a gas station across from the hotel in a place where you cannot monitor the safety of your vehicle. I wish I had listened to the reviews about the total lack of parking. Housekeeping was poor Check in was lengthy and unprofessional. You can stay in a better place cheaper. Fitness center/spa is a joke.

2 Thank jmreid
L.A./Lower Alabama
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I booked my trip to PCB and the Legacy after extensive research so that I wouldn't have to exchange my timeshare week! The value for what I paid was superb. This was a "end of summer vacation" for my 9 yr. old and her friend who returned to school this week! Neither of us wanted to leave. The room was clean, the staff was professional and knowledgeable--even the beach attendants were very accomodating. The restaurant next door was a plus but the hotel was also within walking distance of Pier Park. Gulf World was right across the street!!!!! The free passes to the Rockit Lanes family recreation center were a plus as well as the discounts at numerous eateries (Planet Wings was the girls favorite). This was an exceptional vacation which truly rivels other more expensive resort visits. Thanks Legacy--job well done!!!!!!

2 Thank ccmacandthegirlz
Lanett, Alabama
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Our family enjoyed our stay at Legacy and will make it our choice always! The staff was excellant and friendly, housekeeping was honest and pleasant always seeing to our endless needs of towels. It was quiet and well maintained and staff was always friendly and quick to answer the numerous questions we had. Legacy keeps it very family oriented and that is a plus! Will come again and highly recommend staying.
Donna Short , Auburn, Alabama