“Great Breakfast and Homemade Lunch”

Mike's Cafe and Oyster Bar
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Went several times for breakfast and thought it was very tasty. Meat/Gravy on toast was just like in the mess hall according to my husband. I substituted hash browns for grits and thought they were nicely browned and delicious. Pancakes were fine, but rather thick. For lunch you can order an entree and two homemade sides. Very good food for $8.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Small portions and not very hot. Great waitress Got their seafood plater and was surprised to see how little was on it and not the least bit hot.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Went to Mike's for oysters and wasn't disappointed. Tried Dusty's in PCB too and wanted to compare Mike's. Mike's has nothing on Dusty's in terms of oyster bar atmosphere but the food was as good if not better. Service was good and so was the value.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We walked across from the Landmark twice -- first for happy hour and raw oysters and then came back for dinner the following night. The wait staff were great. Happy hour was all liquor 50% off from 2-6 pm. Oysters were yummy. Four of us had four different dinners and we enjoyed them all. I will definately return!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This is my second visit to Mike's. I was here in October 2012 and was delighted to find it.

I was equally delighted to find that my first visit wasn't a fluke. I have found it amazing that in tourist destination cities that it is almost impossible to find decent food. After growing up along the Gulf Coast, I can't recount the times I've been disappointed in the quality of simple Gulf Coast fare. Food that I grew up with that seemed so effortlessly made suddenly seemed to be a far-out-of-reach dream. Wow, even I can fry shrimp and not make it greasy.

Thank you for suffering through my monologue.....

So, I was delighted when I found Mike's It's the type of place I remember from my childhood. They are honest about their food. The menu is not 5 pages long. You will not find anything containing micro greens. You will find simply good food prepared with care.

Before with a friend I sat at a table. This trip, I sat at the bar with friends. The place was busy, but the staff seemed to pay attention to the needs of each patron.

While I was enjoying my steamed crab claws, one of the cooks came out to the bar and motioned for the waiter to immediately come back with a bowl of oyster stew. In short, it wasn't to the cooks standard and he wanted to send another bowl. The earnestness of the scene was what I found appealing. I can't remember the number of times I've been in a tourist town when the cooks behind the counter could care less if you enjoyed your meal. Here I had a cook who not only cared, but was willing to run-down a waiter to stop a less-than-standard-dish from reaching a table. Now that's service.

Maybe because it was Winter and the town is slow that I had a good experience. Maybe I hit them on a good night -- Sunday. Maybe....I don't think so. Both Mike and his wife were working that night and they both seemed to care a lot about what went out of the kitchen.

Needless to say....I'll be back at Mike's.