“Average”

Landmark Holiday Beach Resort
Iowa
“Average”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We loved the gorgeous view provided from our room, and were happy with the spaciousness of the condo. Our unit was very clean, and the staff was friendly. I could tell the office staff tried to keep "the spirit" of the place positive and welcoming. The beds were very comfortable; kudos to the pillow top cushions, what a nice touch! The indoor pool is what our kids used the most, and it's a really good one.
Request a condo which is not adjacent to the elevators; they are noisy and you do hear them regularly. Also, they are a bit slow, and at one point (for 1/2 hour one morning), non-functional. We never heard noise from any of the other visitors, which was so nice.
It's time to get wireless here. Crazy that people need to flock to the front office to use laptops!!
This is just an average place; no frills, but gives you the necessities. I would recommend some work on the sliding doors; when it rained, we had to put a towel on the carpet in front of them to keep the carpet from getting soaked.
Again, come into it with the expectation that it has great views, a super comfy bed, and meets your basic needs, and you'll really like it!

Room Tip: Avoid a condo by the elevators.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank love2goIowa

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Phenix City, Alabama
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed here before and I now notice a slow decline in value. The WiFi is intermittent on the 14th floor. The staff seems to be on the job but not on the ball. Maybe be the last visit there for me.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Stephen W
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed two nights as part of a LivingSocial deal. The staff was extremely helpful -- to get the nights we wanted, we had to change to a different unit after the first night, and they made this as stress-free as possible. This also gave me an opportunity to check out two different units, and I was very happy with both.
I know that other reviewers have given this resort low marks on needing updating, and indeed you can tell that it is an older property, but I just didn't see any issues. The units were exquisitely clean and made up with good quality linens (and bath sheets, thank you!). The balconies were large and equipped with several fabric slingback chairs and a chaise longue instead of the typical plastic chairs. The kitchen was large and fully equipped with full-size microwave, washer & dryer, full oven, dishwasher, icemaker, and a good starter supply of cleaners & coffee. Hair dryers, iron, ironing board, and toiletries were all provided.
Another complaint I saw was that the pool and spa are indoor. True it is nice to have a pool open to the sky, but it's also nice to have a heated place away from the wind. This pool has a row of glass facing the beach and also a mostly glass ceiling, so I found it a good compromise.
There were stains on the living room chair & the carpet, but I have seen similar on any beachside property I have been to -- they are impossible to keep pristine. The TVs are small and will disappoint those used to huge flat-screen models. But otherwise I would find it very hard to find fault. And you can walk to Pier Park & the city pier. I would not hesitate to come back for another stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront, but I like the 3-5th floor as you have a closer view of the water and the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Parramorefamily
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I give two grades for beach resorts - location and resort quality.

Lets start with the easy one - location. you walk off the elevator onto the beach. Oyster bars within walking distance. Pier Park mall 1 mile down the road. On a scale of 10 it gets a 10

Resort Quality. The resort is showing its age on the outside but the staff has done a great job maintaining the quality of this place. units are very clean with comfortable furnishings. sliding glass doors in living room and master bdrm lead to giant balcony overlooking the gulf. Gorgeous. Ammenities include indoor pool, hot tub, sauna, sun deck, outdoor beach showers, BBQ grills, free wifi, scheduled activities. All are excellent.

As for the things that need improvement: tube televisions - Come on folks, flatscreens have been out for 12 years now. fitness center consists of ten subpar fitness machines stuffed into a room the size of a walk in closet.

all in all I give the resort quality an 8 on a scale of 10 and that's a real salute to mgmt. Most places this old Are not this nice.

Room Tip: Bottom floor allows you to walk directly from your room onto the beach ...but you sacrifice privacy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank pjstroh123
Houston
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just spent a week at the Landmark during a family reunion. We booked a 3 bedroom and a 2 bedroom unit for 13 of us. The Landmark is right on the beach and just a wonderful location. This resort's only issue is that it is old and in need of major rennovation. They have upgraded the TV's to flat screens but that is about it. The insides such as bathrooms, kitchens, furniture, and just about everything else needs to be replaced. The bathrooms have fixtures that are falling apart. The staff at Landmark handled everything from check in to check out very professionally. We had one small problem with a tub drain clogging and a shoer knob falling off and they were up in minutes to fix everything. This vacation was only the first week of September but all the resort's activities, if they have any, had stopped. We did love the more uncrowded beach, traffic, etc., so I am not complaining.

Room Tip: Rooms are all about the same. All have ocean view, balcony, and are about the same as far as what i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Glenn G
Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We are Blue Green owners, and unfortunately have been disappointed once again. The Landmark, while in a lovely beach location on Panama City Beach, is in drastic need of remodeling and updating, plus a thorough cleaning with mold removal. Our two bedroom, two bath condo on the 12th floor was beach front with a gorgeous view. Unfortunately, that's the best I can say regarding the resort itself.

Outdated decor, stained upholstered furniture, worn out carpet, scratched, worn dinnerware, and a moldy bathroom with a torn shower curtain greeted us for our week long stay. Because of some prior issues with Blue Green properties, my spouse called in advance to specifically request a decent, up to date condo. He was assured that all units were the same and would be meet our expectations. Our condo most certainly did not.

We still enjoyed our week by spending little time in the condo. The Panama City Beach area is great for golf, restaurants, bars, and beach activities. Everything is easily accessible with a short drive. The beach is gorgeous with rental chairs and umbrellas available for rent. The Landmark has an indoor pool (who puts in an indoor pool in Florida?). All neighboring resorts had lovely outdoor pools. The Landmark's hot tub area (also indoors) is fenced and walled off in glass. It is not an attractive pool area and we did not use it.

Ultimately, we had a fun week because of our traveling companions and our activities. I cannot comfortably recommend the Landmark and will not return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kathy P

Travelers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My sister & her family checked in Saturday 8/4/12 - air conditioning not working properly...we arrived Sunday 8/5/12 - went to the front desk to complain - sent someone - told that compressor was out...put a "window unit" in kitchen - unfortunately didn't help bedrooms especially the one with NO ceiling fan - a/c people came next day - told it was not compressor - "fixed" it but it never cooled properly the whole week - hot tub out the whole week (part ordered) cook-out cancelled - ice cream social cancelled because event coordinator was ill - outdoor movie was held upstairs rather than outdoor like the condos two doors down...upon checkout...because I only turned in 3 rather than 4 keys...I had to pay $25....oh yea...Tiki Hut not working until Wednesday....was told by management "these things were out of our control" well it wasn't out of your control to take my $25 + the $5 a day that I paid for having an extra car.....We will NEVER stay at Landmark again and I will be sure and spread the news of how we were treated.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family