“Thirty Years of PCDC”

Panama City Dive Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Experienced Full Service Dive Shop with Panama City's most knowledgeable, helpful & fun loving staff... Boat Charters, Scuba Classes, Equipment Sales, Rentals & Maintenance.... We've done it all for 30+ years!
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Roll back to 1983. I had just finished my PADI Open Water Diver Course in North Ga., and headed to PCB with the local shop for Certification Dives. Went out with PCDC (I think it was the first year they opened) on an old boat called the "Kelly Lynn" to the "Long Beach Barge". Vis was bad, and about 4' of seas....I Panicked about 5' down the line. I was on my way back to the boat when someone popped up behind me and stopped me. He calmed me down, got my breathing under control, and personally escorted me back down the line to finish my Certification Dives. He dove with me the next day, and I wish he had been my Certifying Instructor.....This was Panama City Dive Center's owner, Mr. Mike Gomez.
Fast forward to today - I am a PADI Master SCUBA Diver Trainer, was a NASDS Open Water Instructor (before SSI bought them out) , and am one of the Staff Instructors for the Ga. State Patrol Public Safety Dive Team. I CANNOT Brag on my own accomplishments, as many are far better divers than me, but had it not been for PCDC and Mr. Mike Gomez, my diving career would have ended that day in August of 1983.
Over the years, I have used PCDC many. many times. Many "normal" SCUBA classes, training new Public Safety Divers for the Ga. State Patrol, as well as for fun myself. Without exception, the staff has always gone above and beyond with regards to safety, customer service and making sure it was a fun trip,regardless of conditions. And I doubt there is anyone that knows more about diving the Gulf than Mr. Mike Gomez.
There are a number of great dive operators in PCDC, but none better than PCDC. Especially if you have large groups.

3  Thank Tommy D
There are newer reviews for Panama City Dive Center

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Visited Panama City recently with friends, once we got there I wanted to go diving and my friends wanted to go snorkeling so we found Panama City Dive Center on the curve of Thomas Drive and popped in to see if they had any trips available.

The staff at the shop was helpful and accommodating we decided to do a 4 hour dive trip and they just happened to have 4 new divers getting certified so one of the dives would be in slow water. So my friends got to snorkel and I got to dive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Boat Captain and staff were exceptional in making the whole trip stress free and enjoyable for everyone. Thanks PCDC! I'll be back.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

So this was a very different experience for us - we usually dive Cozumel/Caribbean and this was a different style but we loved it! Water is definitely different but it was a great experience and we had a lot of fun on our dives - wrecks, bridge spans.

Pros
1. Excellent, professional (but very funny) staff. We were a group with two very experienced, one pretty experienced and two completely novice (as in, first ocean dives ever) divers and they accommodated all of us. They helped with figuring out weights with the new folks and even lent us a few small pieces of equipment to try out when stuff we'd brought didn't work as it should have.
2. GREAT boats. Nice, spacious, clean and again, great deckhands and captains.
3. Very impressive owner/instructor. I overheard him teaching an OWD student on the boat one day and was highly impressed with his quality of instruction, his attention to detail (while still having fun). Great guy and I would love to dive more with him and learn from him (we're on the way to becoming instructor and he's one of those 'I want to be like him someday' type of guys).

Cons (very few, and these are really being nitpicky so take with a grain of salt)
1. No snacks on board - we're used to that so I guess we're spoiled. However, if we'd known, we would have brought food (we did so on our next days diving so all was well).
2. This was the -one star issue. We had told the office guy on Wednesday morning we would have 5 divers for Thursday and he said no problem. We showed up Thursday morning and the other office guy (Joe) had no record of this and as much as they tried, they weren't able to get us on a trip so we missed out on our last day's diving which was BEYOND a bummer.

We will always check with this dive shop in the future for trips - they took really good care of us and we enjoyed the diving immensely. Thanks Mike, Joe, Ricky, Zach, and the rest of the crew (I'm forgetting names). And please let the really nice captain know that we PROMISE to send him pics and video - I got GREAT video of the bull shark (thanks, Zach!) and jellyfish.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

I chose PCDC because they offered the best rate for both a morning and an evening dive. My overall assessment: great dive and a great company.

Most of my dives have been in Hawaii so this was a new experience and diving culture. In Hawaii, a dive master dives on every dive for safety. No one went down with us. That did concern me, but everything worked out.

On my dive, we went to the Red Sea (wreck) and different spans of a bridge. The visibility was poor (25-30 ft). But, there were many shells for collecting and cool fish to see.

At the shop, they were professional in having my gear ready and helped me onto the boat with all of my gear. Their boat was comfortable for the long ride to the dive site.

I was a little discouraged by the few snacks that they offered on the dive but they did cut up a pineapple after our last dive.

If I were to return to Panama City I would consider them again.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Had 2 nice dives, helpful crew. The actual store is dull and could use some more retail items. I would dive again with them.