“Lousy Customer Service - They Suck!!”

Capt. Anderson's Marina - Fishing & Cruising Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: There are so many fun things to do here at Capt. Anderson's Marina that we don't know where to begin! With almost 60 years as North Florida's premier water excursion facility in Panama City Beach, we are the marina "where the fish are always biting and the kids are always smiling"! Capt. Anderson's Marina, located on the Historic Grand Lagoon within minutes of scenic St. Andrews Bay and the bountiful Gulf of Mexico, is open year' round and a must-do on your vacation list - we can help you put the fun stuff in your trip~! FISHING: We offer 5 HR, 6 HR, 8 HR, 10 HR, 12 HR, half-day and all-day Deep Sea Fishing trips on 5 large head boats (party boats) as well as private sport fishing on over 25 smaller charter boats. Come spend the day on the newest boat in the fleet, the Capt. Anderson 10 HR Deep-Sea Fishing boat and experience salt water fishing at its best! We also have a conveniently located Fish Market here at the dock to clean and pack your fish for travel. Just imagine how you will be eating fresh fish for dinner that night! DOLPHINS: The Capt. Anderson III is our double decker boat taking visitors on narrated Dolphin Sightseeing Cruises loaded with fun and adventure! Join us during the day for the 3-1/2 HR cruise which includes a visit to pristine Shell Island, an Eco-Tour (watch a trawl net pulled up to check out the cool sea life of St. Andrews Bay!) and of course go see the Dolphins frolic and play! Or, choose serenity and sunsets with the 1-1/2 HR evening cruise that is the perfect way to get out on the water, listen to music and relax while viewing the Dolphins and the beautiful sunsets that Panama City Beach is famous for! SHELL ISLAND: Our large, comfortable PCB Shell Island Express Ferry will take your family from the Grand Lagoon through St. Andrew's Bay over to the dock at legendary Spanish Shanty Cove on Shell Island where you can spend just a couple hours or the whole day! We have the easiest way to get to Shell Island with a large dockside parking lot (FREE parking!) where you can off-load all your beach equipment right at the shuttle departure area. Upon arriving at Shell Island, it is only a very short boardwalk to get to the pristine clean white sands! Go exploring, swimming, shelling, or just relaxing on a stretch of the sugar sands that is like your own private beach with no condos behind you! The shuttle also offers Paddle Board rentals so you can check out the oyster beds, sea grass, and diverse ecosystem of Spanish Shanty and St. Andrews Bay!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Booked a 5 hour afternoon deep sea fishing trip for my son and I. It would have been his first deep sea trip. We were staying 1.5 hours from Panama City. When we booked the trip, we were asked by Captain Anderson's people for our phone number in case something happened so that they could call us. I gave them my cell phone. I had no interuption in cell service. We drove the 1.5 hours to make our trip and when we arrived, we were told that they had cancelled the trip. The man at the ticket booth said they tried to call us. I told them I was sure they had not. He then looked at the lady next to him and asked her if she had tried to call customers and she said she had been too busy. He then looked at me and said well they were going to call me but they were too busy. Really, Captain Anderson's can't call customers to let them know a trip has been cancelled! Too busy doing what? The day was cancelled. Other people arrived with the same news given to them. Nobody that I could tell had gotten the call. The trip had supposedly been cancelled due to high seas but I asked several other Captain's who were on much smaller boats coming into the dock if it was that bad and they stated that it was not bad enough to cancell their afternoon trips. Customers on small boats said that it was not bad at all. The other smaller boats were all booked and we could not get our trip in. It was our last day in Florida so we will have to try again another year. Too bad for my son. It is hard to explain something like that to a boy who had been so excited about a trip like this.

From what I could see from the morning Captain Anderson's trip, I probably saved us some time and money anyway. Looked like about half of the folks on the boat didn't get anything. The other half had one to three fish on most stringers with nothing remarkable on any.

One last note, the folks at the ticket office were matter of fact about the cancellation. No "I'm Sorry We Didn't Call", etc. Obviously they have more money than they need since it is obvious they are not in the customer service business. Hopefully this will save some poor sap looking for a charter some trouble in the future.

7  Thank J F
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

JF,
First and Foremost; I can assure you that we are VERY sorry that your fishing
trip was cancelled. We would much rather have all our trips go all the time.
We are doubly sorry that you came away from your first time to our marina with
such an unfavorable feeling. When our reservationists have to be the "bearer of
the bad news", they usually go out of their way to apologize for any
inconvenience caused. Please accept our apology now if that wasn't relayed
while you were here.

Next, after many years of experience on the water, and as much as
we have tried in the past, we STILL can't predict the weather. Our trips
continue to go out rain or shine, but with high seas in the Gulf such as was
experienced that day we have to cancel trips. We would hope to always err on the cautious side rather than have a boatful of seasick families not having fun.

The day of your scheduled afternoon trip had wind constantly shifting direction
and boat captains with their ear glued to the "marine" forecast, exchanging
information through out the morning. The 12 HR trip turned around and came back
to dock mid-morning with weary and rain soaked passengers - everybody received a
full refund. The 5 HR morning trip almost circumvented the storm, but got hit
as well and ended up coming back a bit early and without much to show for their
efforts (as you saw).

SO, while that boat was still on the way back to the pier, the captain
proactively cancelled the afternoon trip and we started contacting customers
right away to alert them. Your reservation had been made the night before so
there were 17 others before yours that we were in the process of calling. You
arrived at the marina while we were at the tail end of all the refunding,
cancelling and transferring of these trips; we reached the last customer within
10 minutes after you left.

Lastly, we would love to have the opportunity to make it up to you and your son
as fishing in the Gulf of Mexico is an exciting experience for all ages to
enjoy. This is our 55th Year anniversary here in PCB and we're seeing the 3rd
generation of kids coming to fish with their parents at the same place their
grandparents brought their kids.

Hopefully you will give us another try next time you are in PCB and plan on
eating some fresh "Florida Gulf Safe" fish for dinner~!

Reviewed June 15, 2012

This was a great experience for my cousins...i have been every year since i was little and have never had a bad experience...shell island is beautiful and the boat trip was amazing...we saw 7 dolphins and we love to feed the seagulls on the way out...amazing time and great price...

1  Thank Amber A
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I had booked a fishing trip with Captain Anderson's back in February for the week of spring break 2012. About three weeks before my son's decided to go so I added him to my reservation. I went the day before the trip just to make sure everything was okay. Well the woman at the ticket counter was VERY rude and informed me I had not picked a spot for my son's friend. She told us the boat was full and there was no place for him even though they had taken the $60 fee. She then said he could be a rider. I got a full refund for all for passengers. I can understand a mistake made but the rudeness of the person is inexcusable. Of course no one at Captain Anderson's has called with any type of apology. I will never book with them again. We did go right around the corner the Treasure Island and they were super nice and my family had a blast on the fishing trip with them.

10  Thank Cathy W
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Capt. Anderson's Shell Island and Dolphin cruise LEFT two over 60 year old ladies on Shell Island. This island is not habited. When we got back to the dock (yes, we were 5 minutes late), the boat had sailed without us. The crew had a head count of passengers and we made the crew aware that we did not have a watch. We asked if they could alert us by blowing the boat horn, but they said "no". There were other people on the beach that day, so we gauged our time by the number of people still on the beach. The crews' lack of concern for their patrons is appalling!! Our tickets were numbered and our name and phone number were computerize, matched and printed on the tickets. They also took a boarding picture of us. The "what if's" and liabilities are endless. We never received a call later checking on us to see if we were okay or any call from the company. Shame on this boat captain and crew.

6  Thank kenh5909
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Only saw 2 dolphins from a distance but not for lack of trying the captain kept moving us to different locations to look for them but no luck. I think the rocky waves had a lot to do with that. Tropical storm lee was coming in so the water was very wild. Loved feeding cheetos to the seagulls and just being on the water, good experience:)