“Hey ya'll...eat here.”

Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Seafood restaurants are a dime a dozen in PCB. We happened upon Salty Sue's based on my parent's recommendation. Are they big foodies? No. Do they dine out every Friday night? Yes. So, they have been to their fair share of restaurants. We arrived a little before 6 pm on a Friday evening. There were 9 in our party so we did have to wait about 15 minutes. The place is not huge, which I like. It's decor is awesome and I loved it's vibe. Beachy yet a little sophistication. They also had to seat us at two separate tables that were side by side, which didn't bother me at all.

Our server was friendly but a little forgetful. I don't hold that against him. We all have our moments. I would rather have someone forget my extra napkins than be rude and unfriendly.
The food was tasty. This isn't gourmet. It's backyard BBQ and fried seafood. The prices were average and the meals came out fairly quick. I ordered the surf and turf. 5 oz petite New York strip cooked perfectly and 6 blackened shrimp. Delish. My dad was kind enough to share his fried oysters and they freakin rocked! Nice size and the breading was awesome. Such great flavor.
Now, let's talk about the sides. The cheese grits made me smile. The broccoli was fresh and cooked perfectly. The sweet potato was served with a side of sauce that was like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Brown sugar and buddah. Lips are smackin' as I am typin'. I didn't have room for dessert but my sister didn't leave a crumb of key lime pie. Next time I'm in PCB, I'm coming back.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We went here with our daughter, son and law, and 3 grandchildren ages 4, 6, and 8. Two pulled pork dinners for 16.95, draft beer $1.50. Great cheese grits; even brought my grandson an extra bowl for free. Nice kids meals for $5.00. Not far from the beach.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

A welcome reprieve from the overpriced, frozen food offered at many "beach" restaurants. We were seated promptly and enjoyed the hot wings and fried pickles (hot wings were on special for happy hour). Our family of five spent about $60 with tip! We were very happy with all aspects of the meal. The smoked hot wings were outstanding and the bbq pork was exceptional. Bbq sauces were not fantastic but certainly edible. But I'm a bit picky, having grown up in Memphis.

The staff was even helpful enough to change one of the tvs so we could watch a baseball game.

I'm looking forward to going back here soon. It's not waterfront, but the food and prices were just right.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I live 1.5 hours north of Panama City Beach, so I'm there pretty often. On every single trip I would have some Salty Sues if I had my way...so I may be a little biased.
It was built on the site of a BBQ restaurant (Dan's BBQ) that burned down several years back - I'd guess 5-7 years. Dan's had incredible BBQ and smoked meats. It's my understanding that the recipes for all this were sold to the Salty Sues owners along with the land. So even though the restaurant has changed the BBQ, ribs, smoked chicken & turkey, and smoked wings continue to be awesome. These are the only things I've ever tried; I pretty much get the BBQ plate every time I go. I know it will be great, there will be more than I can eat, and the price is fair. Plus they have one of the best spicy, mustard based BBQ sauces I've had (they have a couple other sauces also for you non-mustard based fans).
I would say the side items and seafood based entrees are a little more hit & miss. All the BBQ type entrees come with 2 sides, so I'm basing my evaluation of the sides on experience. My evalution of the seafood entrees is based on the comments from my wife & others that we have eaten with. On the positive side, last time we were there a person in our party had the fried shrimp plate & loved it. Time before my wife had some type of fish sandwich & just thought it was OK.
This place is popular with locals & tourists alike. If you go at 6:30 or 7:30 during busy seasons, you're most likely going to have a wait. There is a bar so the restaurant, especially the bar side, is usually a little louder than I would prefer. Try to sit on the left (east) side if you want a better environment for conversation. If its crowded, the service can be a little slow at times; otherwise the service has always been pretty fast for us.
They do offer take out - we go this route a lot during the busier times of year.
Finally prices all around are reasonable. Entrees & plates generally run from $12-$20 I believe.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had a great lunch of gumbo, club sandwich and pulled pork. Everything was delicious, especially, the gumbo which I would have to rate in the top 5 of anywhere in the Emerald Coast. Plenty of shrimp, sausage and "stuff" in a rue that definitely took some time to make. The staff was very friendly and attentive and the atmosphere was busy. Nice sports bar attached whose patrons seemed to have a penchant for their BBQ dishes.