“Blue dolphin tours”

Shell Island Blue Dolphin Tours
Ranked #15 of 102 Tours in Panama City Beach
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

This was absolutely the best part of the trip we made contact with four dolphins and we swam above a ship wreck during our time out with Captain Brent who had to have been the best tour guide, we had two children with autism with us and he constantly asked us how they would do in the water and if anything would scare them during the trip. He made us all feel welcome and even let one of the boys sit with him and help "steer" the ship. He was perfect when it came to them, an easy touch and very cautious about animals and made sure that we all were safe throughout showing us where all of the vests and such were before we left. Thank you Captain Brent! I would recommend this for every one of my friends when visiting Panama City and especially for families who have children with disabilities.

All reviews
"fun afternoon"
"highlight of our trip"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 4, 2017 via mobile

Four hour private trip: We had heard that the water in the bay was very discolored from rain to the north over the last few weeks. We called and asked if we should reschedule for later in the week but they assured us everything would be ok. The snorkeling part of our trip was fun, so don't think this is totally negative, but it was like looking through iced tea. Might as well get all the negatives out of the way at the beginning... the boat broke down about two hours in. Took about 45 minutes to unsuccessfully try to fix the boat and then get another boat out to us to switch out and finish our trip. They did refund an hour worth of cost after we called and asked for it to be made right. Because of this delay we did not get any time on Shell Island.
Ok, now onto the better parts. "Chasing" dolphins with the intent to jump in and catch a glimpse of them is pretty darn fun. We had several opportunities but most of the dolphins were not interested in hanging around. One opportunity was amazing though... the dolphin swam past us about 3 feet away. Pretty cool to see them in the wild like that.
Snorkeling was ok, but we went to a secondary sight because there were too many people at the one they normally go to. As mentioned before, the color of the water was a difficulty and made visibility pretty bad. We enjoyed the time snorkeling because there were a lot of fish near an old pier, several sea urchins, a few live scallops, and lots of shells.

Reviewed July 2, 2017

This was our favorite activity during our trip! I had no idea we wanted to do this so I booked last minute and they accommodated us. I surprised my 12 and 17 year old, and they were hesitant at first (maybe they knew I was super nervous). Roseanne was our guide and she was phenomenal! She was really informative and put us at ease with her knowledge and mannerisms and I quickly knew I was with the right person to guide our experience. The dolphins we saw were very friendly and we were in the water within inches of them while they swam around us. We went snorkeling for the first time and Roseanne was so patient and helpful! She answered all of our questions with ease and knew the area extremely well. Before this experience, I had a huge fear of the ocean and this has changed my views. Thank you so much, Roseanne! It was calming, relaxing, and very exciting. The kids absolutely loved it and I loved that we were experiencing things for the first time together in a private, personalized setting. It's been a couple of weeks since our trip and we are still talking about it daily. When friends and family ask what we did on our trip, this is what they hear about and they love it! This made the almost 1,000 mile drive worth it!

1  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed July 1, 2017 via mobile

Loved the tour. Jim was our guide. Very informative and funny. He was good with kids and very interactive. This was the best part of our trip overall. They take you to see dolphins and then find sand dollars and shells by shell island. The boat was relaxing and cleaned after each group. The owner, whose name we cannot remember, was on the dock, and he was very nice and sociable. He interacted with each group and made sure everyone was comfortable. Would definitely recommend to any age group.

1  Thank Dreamer698312
See more reviews
Reviewed June 27, 2017

My Mother in law was kind enough to book a dolphin swim/snorkeling tour with Shell Island Blue Dolphin Tours for my wife and I and our two kids while were visiting Panama City Beach for a few nights all the way from Rhode Island. Captain Brent took the 6 (max of 6 per boat which is great) of us out through the channel and a hundred yards or so off the beach on Shell Island. He explained to us that we'd have to first find any dolphins in the area and then get about 60 feet or so in front of them and then we'd be able to get in the water with them. After spotting a pod of four dolphins, we all put our life jackets and snorkel gear on and quickly slipped into the water. The dolphins came within feet of us so we were able to see them swim by us or under us. After they passed, we would get back in the boat and do the process again for about an hour. Before the tour I didn't know what to expect but this was a really amazing experience for our family. My children are 5 and 8 years old and my niece is 9 and they got right in the water without any fear. To be clear, we were not expecting to interact with the dolphins, which you might be able to do at some aquarium type establishment for ridiculous amounts of money, but to be able to be in the Gulf that close to wild dolphins was an incredible experience for all of us. After swimming with the dolphins, Captain Brent took us into the bay to a quiet spot where we anchored off the beach and all went snorkeling to look at the sea life and for shells. After about an hour of seeing fish, sea urchins, finding sand dollars, etc we headed back and the tour was over. I highly recommend Shell Island Blue Dolphin Tours for anyone especially families with children looking for a safe and fun adventure. I have to say that Captain Brent was very friendly, laid back and was great with our kids. We all had an amazing time and are looking forward to doing the tour again in the future!