“Very nice, but a little scary”

Laketown Wharf Resort
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The rooms were very nice, clean, and spacious. The view was breathtaking. It was breathtaking for the few in our group that thought the view was beautiful, and breathtaking for the majority who were terrified at the view. Most in my family, including me, are afraid of heights, so the view, coupled with the narrow walkways, was a little scary for most. So we just walked quickly to our rooms. The price was good and the staff were friendly and helpful. Overall, it was outstanding. The only negatives were that one set of elevators were slow, (the others were the speed one would expect with 21 floors) and the parking garage was not connected to the buildings so you had to go to the Ground level, then go up to the level you wanted, which was a little time consuming. Also, if you are afraid of heights, I would recommend asking for a lower floor. Great vacation!

Room Tip: Try to get a room near elevators, since walkways are long. If you are afraid of heights, get a low...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I spent our 5 year anniversary here, with a few other couples. We had an awesome time!! We rented two, two bedroom Condos, which were nice. Very modern, clean, and spacious. The amenities were nice, cool bar/restaurant, pools always clean (I wish they stayed opened a little later). Seriously, no complaints about anything, except the elevator. Actually, I would have given this resort a 5 star review if the elevators were better. I will be honest, we didn’t have any of the horrible experiences listed from other reviewers, but it wasn’t a great experience either. There is no air in the elevators, and there are so many floors in the resort, till there was like a 5 min lag between entering your floor number and an elevator arriving. Thankfully, I did see several signs noting there will be some work done to them, so I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Nonetheless, I will always come back here!

The cons I would like to mention are:
- No housekeeping –No biggie for us, but to some this may be a deal breaker.
- Not on the beach- However, it is directly across the street from the beach.
- The resort has a 10p.m to 8a.m. quite time rule-Though I understand their rule, it can be a little inconvenient, seeing that it’s vacation. I think at least 1 pool could remain open. At least, one, please 

Room Tip: I think all rooms are good rooms. Maybe don't go to the top floors, so the stairs are an option...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in a three bedroom that had enough room for all 8 of us. We used all 5 pools which fit the different age group of kids. The beach is a short walk. The only problem was the elevators which sometimes you had to wait awhile for.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We just returned from our third vacation stay at Laketown. Our extended family makes this trip each year and we all stay in the same condo. The spacious condos accommodate all 8 of us comfortably. We also book through Bookit.com and utilize Royal American as the rental agency. Therefore we really do not have to use the front desk for Laketown for anything other than arm bands for the amenities and parking passes. What little contact I've had with the front desk at Laketown has always been pleasant. This is a family environment / resort and great for kids. Probably not ideal for a romantic vacation as a couple, not because of the resort specs themselves, but more so because of the amount children playing and occupying the amenities. My girls made friends every day and they love staying here. The resort is massive and yes, you're going to do a little walking, but its nothing that should exert a crazy amount of energy. I never once had an issue with parking. There are 2 decks and each time, I never had to park above the second level. Zero traffic issues getting in and out of the resort. Sure there's construction taking place, but we were notified of this prior to booking and it never interfered with anything we wanted to do. The upgrades being made are going to make this resort even more desirable and almost give it a boutique hotel feel. Sure the elevators are a little slow. With that said, I noticed a great improvement between last years visit and this years visit when it comes down to the wait times. I wait just as long for the elevators at work, so maybe i'm not as phased by it. When I'm on vacation, I'm in no rush to get anywhere and I'm not on a scheduled or working with an agenda, so the fact that we may have had to wait for a few minutes to catch a ride up to our condo each day, didn't matter a bit. The location for this resort is great. walking distance to food, shopping, stores etc. Will be great when they can get more retail shops and restaurants to occupy the spaces. Would love to have a coffee shop or Starbucks. Ive visited PCB since I was a child and have stayed in many of the condos- this is by far the best place, IMO. We will stay here again next year and years to come.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Laketown Wharf is one of the Sterling Resorts family of properties, which portray themselves as upscale vacation destinations. Unfortunately, this was simply not the case. To be fair, the condo which my family rented was very nice. I found it to be spatious, very clean, and appealing to the eye. However, this property has significant deficiencies which made my familys overall experience a negative one. First and foremost is the issue with the elevators. There was always a significant wait - always. Waits of more than twenty minutes. Outside in the summer heat. With no breeze. With sweat dripping from every part of my body. Right after taking a shower and dressing in clean clothes to go out on the town. Not my idea of vacation fun. In fact I frequently found myself becoming angry and frustrated with the elevator issue - these are the kinds of emotions I hoped to leave behind when I went on vacation. Another issue is the inadequate parking, in a detacted parking deck which forces the vacationer to walk outside in whatever elements may be present to get to the main building. No effort was made to control who parked on the property, and I was certain that many vehicles belonged to those who walked across the street to a very popular beach restaurant/bar. The websites claim that reserved parking would be assigned upon check-in was a lie - it was park wherever I was lucky enough to find an open spot. The bed in the master bedroom was the worst I had ever slept on in all my years of traveling. The mattress was literally shaped like a letter "U" it sagged so badly in the middle and I awoke each morning to various aches and pains. The resort was also quite noisy until late at night, with nightly sounds of motorcycle burnouts and loud voices from the parking lot. Check-in was a madhouse, as the entire bottom floor is undergoing construction of what I beleive will eventually become retail shops. Access to the lobby and the adjacent parking lot was blocked by heavy construction equipment. Again, the condo itself was quite nice, it's such a shame that all of the negatives ruined my vacation experience. I cannot stress enough the significance of the issues with the elevators - horror of horrors! - my advice is to avoid staying at this resort. The entire experience left me with a tarnished image of Sterling Resorts.

10  Thank Ron623
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I love Panama City Beach...the condo at Lake town Wharf Resort are excellent.
The elevators are horrible, I have read the reviews about the elevators and I could not believe how bad they were. I would say only two are working my family and I were there July 16 to 21st. My advise to anyone is to book a room on floors 1 - 4. One has to wait about 15 minutes for a elevator and they are all full. Otherwise my experience was good, Pineapple Willie's is across from the hotel and the beach walking distance.
Just crappy elevators. ***no housekeeping....and if one needs extra towels they are $5.00 for a set.

Room Tip: Stay on floors 1-4 whereas one could walk down the stairs..elevators are horrible.
5  Thank lovehappy l
Reviewed July 23, 2013

It is too hot and too humid to wait outdoors for an elevator every time you wish leave or return to your room. A resident gave us the scoop on the problem. In addition to the elevators being too small and having too few too far between, the reason they are so often broken down is that these are interior elevators built into an exterior shaft. There are no cargo elevators and no elevators for the cleaning staff. So, one must take the first elevator with space available (be prepared to split up your party) going up or down and work up a good sweat in the process as there is no air conditioning and you're likely to stop at several floors. Then, there is the long trek to your room or vehicle and another elevator to take in the parking garage. Lack of parking is another frustration. Check-in was a hassle. No room service. Never again.

Room Tip: This hotel is not on the beach as it appears in some pictures. There is another hotel and a street...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family