Message from TripAdvisor:

“Said it Before, Saying it Again...Excellent Stay”

Laketown Wharf Resort
Alabama
“Said it Before, Saying it Again...Excellent Stay”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is our second (and not last) stay at Laketown Wharf. It was even better this time around. I say that because last July the nightly water show was cancelled because of a drought in the area. This time, no drought! My family loved the show...we watched it just about every night!
On this trip we used the Fitness Center. It left A LOT to be desired! My hubby and I work out at least 3-4 times a week and have used our share of fitness centers, the machines here felt like they were about to fall apart. but hey! Most people aren't there for the workouts!
We had the opportunity to visit more than the main pool this time. Kiddie pool is great for tots! my 10 year old even had a great time playing with his little sis in the kiddie pool. The pool/hot tub on the 10th floor was really nice also. Definitely not for young kids, as I believe the shallowest depth of this pool is 4 ft. There was construction on the 3rd floor pool and it blew a lot of debris and yucky stuff into the family pool on the main level. That was a bummer considering that the entire time we were there, we never saw anyone working on the pool. It would have been nice if they would have covered up the construction so the debris wouldn't blow.
Clean rooms as usual. Dishes could have been a little cleaner (rinse spots and smudges)...but nothing a quick run through the dishwasher couldn't fix.
Staff was great!
Check in was easy...but they got me (not really, it was my fault). The property didn't have any available rooms when I called, but I was able to find one through BookIt. Well, if you go through a 3rd party (BI, Expedia,etc.), LTW charges you a $45 surcharge upon check in. Uh, really? For what? Not sure, but it was clearly stated on my reservation sheet...so my fault. I'm mentioning it, so that readers will book directly with the property instead of with BI - especially when the rates are the same. Also, when you book with the property, let them know you're a returning guests and they'll give you an additional discount.
We'll be back again! This is our new favorite place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LTWPCB, Front Office Manager at Laketown Wharf Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank You for staying with us! Im so happy to hear that this is one of your new favorite places to stay. Thank You for your feedback, it really does help. The $45 fee is on every reservation, not just third party bookings. It's basically insurance to cover any minor damages to the unit during your stay. We do this so our guests will not have to put down a large refundable damage deposit during their stay as to not tie up your vacation and traveling funds. We look forward to having you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Montgomery, AL

Came here for a girls weekend with 7 of my friends. Here is what I have to say:

Cons: The parking situation is horrible. With this being such a huge property and there only being two parking decks (one on either side), there should be walkways connected to the hotel. The front desk people don't tell you which parking deck you should park in based on where your room is situated. We ended up parking in the North Deck and had a horrendous walk to the other end to get to our room.

The elevators are ridiculously slow and there are certainly not enough luggage racks for the amount of people that stay on this property.

There is only one hot tub and that's on the roof of the complex. With this being such a huge property, there should be more than one hot tub.

Pros: The pools are great! The entertainment down by the main big pool was awesome. There is also a bar & grill where you can get food and drinks which is always good.

Pineapple Willy's is right across the street.

Our room was clean and we had a great view and everything we needed.

Our icemaker wasn't working so we called front desk and they got someone very quickly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank You for being Our Guests! I am happy to hear You all enjoyed your Girls Weekend Getaway. we do appreciate the feedback and will continue to work at keeping our guests happy. Can't wait to have you back.
Clanton, Alabama
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a five star hotel across from the beach. The hotel is excellent but is party central and the pools are surrounded by karaoke, cocktails, and food which makes for LOTS of people, and some overcrowding. The upside is that this hotel is close to everything you need. It has two nightly water shows (like the Belagio) where the lake water will dance to the music, you can walk to souvenir shops, Wal-mart, restuarants, Ripley's museum, Waterworks entertainment park, and MANY MANY more. Overall- I would stay here again.

Room Tip: I would prefer (lakeside) in the middle of the hotel- that way you aren't squinting to see the o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AtlantaGA
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'm currently writing this review from our room because I wanted to make sure I did not forget any details. We have been coming to PBC since moving to the South 8 years ago and I am quite disappointed with this place. I always read the reviews and I should have known better this time around....You will see duplicate complaints from other travelers and I will add a few but I will also try to be fair.
1. Checkin process was slow but the staff was courteous and friendly.
2. We never bothered using the luggage carts because the wait was too long and wound up carrying all of our stuff. Yes, you have to leave your license and yes - the walk is very looong if you are in the South Tower.
3. The elevators are super slow and sometimes they don't even work.
4. The property is big, beautiful, entertaining - the kids loved it and the pools are great.
5. The Room...ugh! the location is great...the view is gorgeous and its very roomy but the rugs need to be pulled out and replaced with tile. I wouldn't dare walk barefoot on the rugs - its nasty, dirty, filthy, etc. (you get my drift)
6. The cooking pans and utencils were horrible. The pans were scratched, poorly maintained, and overall cheap. The other hotels at PBC have always kept decent cooking ware in the rooms. The utensils were worn and had food melted onto it from previous travelers. We had to get our own pan.
7. The shower heads are cheap and the spickets were pouring out everwhere because its probably really old.
8. It was very noisy from the younger travelers but It calmed down after about 2 in the am.
Would I come back ! absolutely not and I will never ever ever recommend this place - and matter of fact I'm going to let everyone know not to bother staying here - there are other places to stay. The Wyndham is great and I can't believe I cheated on them :o) Good Luck! Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Room Tip: bring socks if you want to stay here and your own cookingware and utensils. Walking shoes are a mus...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WhoaNellyNell
LTWPCB, Front Office Manager at Laketown Wharf Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank You for your feedback on your stay. We will use it to continue to make Laketown Wharf a great place to stay.
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had a two/three bedroom, overall it was clean and very modern and up to date. The unit was very spacious. The only two small things that caught my eye were the carpet and the walls. The carpet needed to be cleaned and the walls needed cleaning and a fresh coat of paint. We had an issue with the cable and we called to the front desk and someone was there to help us in less than 30 mins. I read a lot of reviews before our trip that complained about the elevator, it wasn't an issue for us, I think we had a long wait once and it wasn't unbearably long. I would recommend Laketown Wharf to anyone. On our next trip to Panama City, we will be staying here.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank cnholman
LTWPCB, Front Office Manager at Laketown Wharf Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thank You for being Our Guest. We really appreciate the feedback and will address it immediately. We look forward to having You back next time.
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Read through other lesser rated reviews and really didn't see any of those issues. I am in the military and was able to get a 6 night stay for just $400, so could not pass that up..always weary I was ready to expect sub par or just par facilities but the 1 bedroom plus bunk room and 2 bathrooms is huge..over 1k sq feet with a great size living room and kitchen. Brand new carpeting, great artwork and just a well set up condo with a fantastic view of the water and area.

Two things that knocked it down to a 4 was the a/c unit is directly across from the bunk beds and is rather loud. They need to make one of their 5 pools an adults only pool. they have the main pool and island pool, a kiddy pool on the south side, a family pool on the north side and a 5th general pool..I love kids as much as the next person, but when you are looking for quiet and relaxing and every pool has yelling kids having fun...just saying that the family pool should be made to an adults only (it has the only hot tub) and the island pool the family pool.

No issues with the staff as didnt have any interaction with them other than checking in and out, which had no issues. As its a condo, we knew we would have to do the upkeep and with washer and dryers in the unit, that made packing easy. Walmart is right across the street so grocery shopping saved a lot of the food costs. Parking is real easy and they have plenty of elevators, so other than the walk from your floor to your room, its pretty easy to get around.

Definitely would look to coming back if I can get a great deal again as the airline price is quite steep to fly into.

Room Tip: We were on the 19th floor, so it was pretty quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
We are always happy to hear that our Guests enjoyed their stay. We look forward to having you back and I will pass along your feedback for an adult pool to the HOA. Thank You for staying with us.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Rented a 2BR/2Bath w Bunk for the entire week. As other pointed out the elevators take forever at times...especially the main elevators outside the lobby. Best advice is to check in a early as possible and/or use the other elevator at the other end of the complex. Our rental was huge...14th floor...great view of the beach and coastline. TV in the living room didnt work but other than that the room was great. Plenty of space and clean. Excellent proximity to the beach and restaurants. If you dont want to go to the beach then they have several pools to choose from and even a jacuzzi on the 10th floor...also our room came with a step in shower and a jacuzzi itself. We did run into a little issue with towels and were informed by the front desk there was a shortage and would have to rewash the ones we had. Step into the back area of the complex and there is a huge pond ....filled with fish and turtles...evenan alligator has called it home. SIf stand by the railing, he will pop up and hope you throw it some food. Kids went crazy about the aliigator lol. There is also a cool light show at night as well. I had a great time at Laketown and I hope you do as well if you decide to stay there

Room Tip: The higher you go, the better the view. Stay on the easter end of complex...quicker elevators that s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JGFree
Thank You for being Our Guest. I am so Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you back.