Message from TripAdvisor:

“Have mixed emotions on this hotel...”

Laketown Wharf Resort
Reviewed July 20, 2011

First let me say the actual condo was great. We had a one bedroom with a bunk. Perfect for us. The kitchen was well stocked and everything was very clean and modern.

Now the other side... yes, you are going to walk alot. Hauling groceries and suitcases from parking garage was not the greatest. We were lucky to get a 10th floor condo so we parked on 9th floor of parking garage and came in through 10th floor pool. We didn't use elevators that much so there were no problems there.

They advertise "a pristine lake" sits behind hotel. Not one thing pristine about the lake. It was actually pretty gross. There was trash in it and it was murky and swamplike. There was an alligator in it so that was kinda cool. There is no light show due to low water levels.

They also advertise a meditation garden. I had to laugh at that one. It is an outside patio with a water fountain that had no water in it! Plus it was right over the first floor pool where the DJ blasted music for hours. No surprise to not see anyone meditating in there.

My husband did use the gym everyday and he was satisfied with it.

We didn't really care for the main pool on the ground floor. Like I said the DJ blasted music all day and it sits right next to the road so you hear every car, truck, motorcycle that passes by. Plus they are doing road construction so you hear that also. We stuck to the 10th floor pool.

I think we would prefer to be beachfront. Hauling beach bags down the elevator, across the street, down the walkway and out to the beach was a chore. We only went to the beach one time because of this.

Overall, I don't think we would visit this hotel again.

1  Thank lskanes

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We stayed at Laketown during fourth of July week. To say the least traffic was crazy. The condo is across the street and not a long walk at all. If I stayed with young kids I probably would not choose this condo just because of the stuff you have to drag back and forth with small ones. We had six in our party, 2-parents, 2-20 year olds, and 2- 17 year olds. So it was fine for us. The room was awesome plenty of room for the 6 of us and we had people come over for a visit. They stock the bath and kitchen area with sample items so it gets you started. The cabinets and pans looked so clean it was so nice. Traffic is hectic.... did I mention that?? There are places to eat really close and we would walk to walmart, buy our groceries and then get everyone to meet us in walmart parking lot and walk over. No driving and that worked out really well. The condo check in and check out was great. The pools were nice but kids were having accidents in them and each day one would be closed(yuck) We did alot of snorkeling in the gulf and St. Andrews state park is close and has a wonderful place to snorkel without feeling like your going to feed a shark. All and all our visit to Laketown was great. It would probably not be my first choice again for the simple reason is living an hour from Gulf Shores Alabama, we are use to staying on the beach side and I like to hear the waves roll in and not the cars/trucks going by. Oh, do the Grand Maze too but be careful it's tough to find your way out!!!

Reviewed July 11, 2011

My husband and I brought our 2 kids here for a 7 night stay. The location is perfect, it isnt right on the beach, but it is close enough. We arrived at 12:30 and they already had our room ready. The check in time took less than 5 minutes, long enough for the bags to be unloaded. We were given lots of helpful information as well as a $20 voucher and free kids drinks voucher for the cabana and grill. The room was on the top floor, 21st, which might I say is awesome! The view is incredible and the decks are huge. The room itself was so clean you would have thought we were the first guests. Everything is fully stocked down to little rubbermaid bowls to carry fruit to the beach in. The pools are wonderful, there are 5 of them, one being a kiddie pol that my 2 year old didnt want to leave. The guys at the bar make the best drinks ever, you have to get the miami vice its fabulous, plus it comes with a cup you can keep. Also they have a dj there all day playing great music. The elevators are a little slow, but we felt it was a small issue. The security is just fine, in fact I think they were very attentive. We visited friends at another resort that costs more, and let me tell you, we were glad we didnt pay the bigger money, because Laketown had them beat by far. We actually ended up staying an extra night we liked it so much. I am usually a very picky and critical person, but this place will not dissapoint you, promise!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We usually stay at another condo, but it was booked very early with everyone returning after the oil spill. Since we were a very large group, not many places could accommodate us so we quickly grabbed this one with its 2 bedrooms, bunk room and full kitchen. When we got there, we were surprised by how large it was but found it to be very impressive. In the first few moments of checking in, I lost my 3 year old on the elevator (he got in front of us and got on before we saw him). As other people have stated, these elevators take forever to come back down, but nothing as bad as when you're waiting for your baby to come back down! The front desk called security, they asked for a photo which I had just taken an hour before, and they were off to search for him, but thankfully he came back down with a nice lady.

The rooms were so nice and clean. Kitchen was stocked with everything that you needed. Do wish that there was a DVD player in the second bedroom, but there was one in the living room and master bedroom. The balcony was awesome because it was large and great view (minus the buildings in front of it). I swear the place was soundproof because I could never hear any of the outside noises. Hopefully no one could hear my loud kids.

We went to 3 of the pools and everyone loved them. The main pool was the best with how it is designed where you just walk in and it gradually goes down to about 2 1/2 feet with the deepest part at 5 feet. The gym is 2 floors and looks out toward the beach and has weight machines, treadmills, elliptical machines and other things.

The downsides: 1) construction, but I live in Atlanta so I'm used to that and it's not like it's the hotels fault. Hoping with all that work someone is putting some sidewalks in. 2) congestion in front of the hotel because of the construction and it was July 4th weekend 3) the main elevators, but there is a second elevator that you can use. Because we were two families together, we would turn it into a race and try to make it fun by seeing which elevator system would be faster. Gotta entertain the kids some way so why not with a race? 4) trying to cross the street to get to the beach. Most drivers were very courteous and would stop to let you cross. Or you can drive down the street a little ways (or even walk because it's not far at all) and park where there is public parking, which actually opened up to a bit of beach that was a bit nicer and quieter because it was away from the main stretch and all the hotel lounge chairs. 5) the water show that they advertise wasn't available because of low water levels, which I understand, but I was looking forward to it :(

2  Thank GaMomTy
Reviewed July 7, 2011

the unit was nice with plenty of room for my family. there were a couple of problems. one has been mentioned already that is the elevator situation. awful!!! but the major problem we had was my husbands window was broken out the first night. what a way to start a vacation. it was parked on the 2nd level on north parking garage. my daughter in laws wallet (which was accidentally left in it) was stolen. and of course the culprits used it. when my husband discovered it he immediately reported it to security and they called the police to do a report. that is all the help we were offered. we are out 210.00 deductible. anyway beware there are no cameras and security is a joke. all they do is walk around in circles in the pool area.

Room Tip: they don't let you pick the room you want so........
1  Thank jackandtydothan
Reviewed July 7, 2011

They have 5 swimming pools so the pools were never crowded. The grounds were so pretty and very well maintained. You will feel very safe here, you see security all the time. The parking decks were great because your vehicle was never hot when you got into it. The condos were very clean and everything worked in it, nothing broken. We will defintely stay at the Laketown Wharf whenever we go to Panama City Beach.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

First, I would say I havent been to panama city beach in a while I just returned from laketown Wharf and I stayed 4 nights, When We arrived we were 1 hour early for check-in, but they let us have our room the staff was very friendly and answered all questions that we had, looking at the condo it was beautiful very large room, looks just like the pictures, did not have one problem out of the room,
did have alot pools but everyone gathered at the main pool due to the cabana and music very packed, it was a LONG walk from the room to the pool, very hard to navigate the hotel with parking on one side and room on the other, elevators were HORRIBLE waited a very long every time we had to get out it didnt matter what time it was.
another problem Construction everyday at 6am, no one told us that at the desk, also getting a to the beach was horrible had to walk through broken concrete to get to the road and then walk a path to the ocean
overall nice hotel not worth going back

Room Tip: call ahead and ask about construction
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family