“Hell on Earth”

Tidewater Beach Resort
Atlanta
“Hell on Earth”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Don't think about staying here if you are looking for a relaxing getaway. I never thought a trip to the beach could be so arduous and painful.

First, I travel frequently and have stayed at just about every type of hotel under the sun. I've never had an experience like this before. I'm not even sure how to describe the beds here. They aren't just a little uncomfortable; they are deeply painful. The sheets are like sandpaper and don't expect someone to come change your linens or provide fresh towels... they don't do that here.

Second is the beach service. They wont give you a chair and umbrella in the first row facing the beach for some reason I was never able to ascertain. They kick you out of your beach chair at or around 4:30 P.M. while there is still hours and hours of sunlight remaining.

There is no beachside bar, despite what they describe on their website.

The elevators alone are enough to warrant a rating of "Terrible" for the whole property. They routinely get stuck, you have to wait on average 6 - 8 minutes for one, and they are not air conditioned. This might seem petty, but just try getting into one with 10 sweaty shirtless beach goers and 5 screaming children.

Once you come to realize how fruitless your attempt to enjoy the beach is, you might be tempted to go visit one of the two outdoor pools at this "resort". I hope you enjoy laying on the deck of the pool because you aren't going to find a lounge chair, they simply don't have enough and they are generally taken by early morning.

The one positive think I will say about the place is it's location. It's not close to the hustle and bustle of Thomas Drive. It's away from the primary area of the PCB debauchery.

Oh, I almost forgot, you have to wear a "wristband" every where you go otherwise the cop wannabe security guards will descend upon you. That's right, for upwards of $200 a night, you have to wear a wristband like you are staying at the Holiday Inn during spring break.

Needless to say, I wont ever stay here again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Harper150
RQPCB, General Manager at Tidewater Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2010
Thank you for your review of the Tidewater Beach Resort. Whenever I receive a comment that is almost soley negative I wonder whether a guest just became so frustrated during their stay that they were only able to focus on what was wrong and not see all the great amenities and offerings that we have. For your experience I am very sorry. I understand when traveling with family it is important for things to go smoothly. I hope that you will reconsider Tidewater as Hell on Earth. I like to call it My little Paradise!

Now to address your specific comments. We use 250 threadcount sheets in all units managed by ResortQuest. The beach service assigns chairs on a first come first serve basis. Cushions are picked-up and secured each afternoon. However guests are welcome to sit in the chairs without cushions once beach service closes. We do have a Tiki Bar, it is located at the East pool deck and is open 11-3pm weather permitting (seasonally). The elevators are certainly one of our biggest challenges however most days there is only a short wait. Check-in and check-out days are when the extended delays have happened. Pool decks, beaches, elevators, parking decks all are pushed to their max capacity in June and July. Wristbands are in place for the safety of all guests. Wristbands identify you as a guest of the resort. We do not require that you wear them only that you keep them with you while on property. Again thank you for you comments and I hope you will consider us in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Tidewater is a really nice condo complex. The complex is very large, but then again so are the units. Unit 400 is a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit. It was stocked full of towels, laundry detergent, dish soap, toliet paper, shampoo, shower gel, paper towels and dish detergent. All the necessary kitchen items are in the unit, but we didn't cook while we were there. We really enjoyed our stay. The balcony is really only big enough for two people but it was perfect for my and my husband. I would come back again. it was clean and everything we expected and more---

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jimcatdivers
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Weekend getaway with spouse, our teenage granddaughter, her friend and our 6 yr old grandson. Overall would rate 4 stars out of 5. Great view of the Beach from our 2nd story unit. The folks that ran the snack bar were very friendly and the food was very good with the cost very reasonable. The property is a high rise (30 floors). The only negative was that the large screen HD tv in the living room did not have a remote control and the onsite management is from 9:00am-5:00pm. So if you check in after 5:00pm it could be a bit confusing or if you require something after hours it might be the next morning before the management company might be able to respond. But overall it was fine and price was "very reasonable" for a 2-bd condo.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nolesman
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed April 23, 2010

My family and I stayed in unit 2618 at the Tidewater Beach Resort in PCB, FL. Right from the start working with the owners Kathy & Scott were a pleasure to deal with, we originally saw they're condo on www.tidewater2618.com. We called and booked it. The condo is on the 26th floor, which is a penthouse floor, it's right on the beach with amazing views from all the windows in the condo. Two huge floor to ceiling windows in the living room allow you to see all the way down the coast right from the sofa. Condo was clean, stylishly decorated and reasonably priced. Escpecially being a penthouse/corner unit. We can't wait to come back to Tidewater next year. Lot's of great amenities - two pools with ample deck space for chaise loungers. Fitness center and movie theatre right on the premises. We give it a thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank RUReady4Sun
alexander city,alabama
Reviewed April 13, 2010

We stayed in condo 2016 at the Tidewater and let me tell you,it was wonderful.The view was great.We were higher that most of the parasails that came by.I will return.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel R
CinCity
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Place is really nice with lots of stuff to do . Has pretty nice work out center with a hot tub, and individual steam and sauna rooms in the locker areas.
A nice thing is the small resturant / pub on sight that has pretty healthy choices as well as the usual although the alcoholic beverage is expensive at $4.50 a can of light beer. They have specials throughout day and music on weekends. The building also has a movie theater but is only showing movies twice weeky and you better get there early and expect the doors to close and lock promptly. Close to most all of the West end beach activity with the new peir park about 1/2 mile down for shopping and eating at the chains like margaritaville and other the like. athe Pier is just down the beach about the same distance and its open all night. Farter west 20 minutes is Silver Sands Factory outlet in Destin and ten minutes from the Dog track. The new airport should open in May and will be about 15 mile or less straight up Rt 79. The chairs are $20.00 daily on the beach and you gotta get there early for front row. Worst thing is the elevator wait and don't rent over 4th floor unless you want to just see the ocean and not the beach while sitting in the condo.
Do consider looking for private owner rental as they are about 25% cheaper and they seem to keep up the condos better. The staff is nice and desk personell friendly Especially when I left my lights on and ran the battery down in my ,the staff came to the garage and juiced my battery. The security is pretty much worthless and I had seen them frequently on computer or reading magazines in office rather than walking. West end seems to be better for families rather than east end 4-6 miles down the way. East end was all spring breaker parties and alot of police out stopping drivers. The fishing charters are over on the east end and the St Andrews State Park is all the way eas on Thomas Dr. Exellent for famillies when warmer than March early april.
I would recomend visiting the east end for the local flair as well as going over the hathaway bridge to the old town for local flair. summer friday street parties happen in the old town but wern't going yet while we were there this time.
We stayed with a private condo owner this time. They have another one at the east end as well which is even better floor plan and all glass on the ocean. We'll hit that next time.
I guess I'll put in a plug for them since they had made effort for our visit to be pleasant. Their sight for one of the condos is ( interoz.com/sun_sand_sea ) I can't remember if its the tidewater or Long Beach Resort photos though. Anyway... cool place.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank zeek_aldredge
AL.
Reviewed March 9, 2010

When we stayed inTidewater we absolutely loved the place. We had a 2 bd room with king beds,with each room had their own bathroom, a hall bathroom, hall twin bunks, full kitchen,sofa bed,big screen and the view was amazing. Last year we went to another one up the street and I say hands down Tidewater have them, we loved them best. This year back at Tidewater in a few month. You have to try them everyone has their own picks.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple