“Be realistic and open minded....”

Tidewater Beach Resort
Tennessee
“Be realistic and open minded....”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

After reading several reviews from this resort, we were a little nervous about our trip. I am a very critical person when it comes to our vacations. First of all, if you plan on checking in on Saturday, it will be busy! There were several waiting to check in but the staff was very polite and helpful. Finding a luggage cart and elevator took a while, but this can be expected with a resort of this size. We stayed on the 17th floor in 1717. The condo was very nice, well furnished, clean, and roomy with a great view. We even saw dolphins from our large balcony. After getting settled on our first night, the elevator was not an issue. Guests should realize that there will be a wait time for an elevator in a large resort. Beach chair service begins at 8:30. Guests line up early to get the best chairs. I had read previous reviews that beach service was rude. This was not our experience at all. The security staff was cordial as well. The two outdoor pools were clean and nice restrooms were located nearby. It's unrealistic to expect an instant elevator.... The resort has 31 floors! It is a holiday week. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
white hall
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed in Unit 511, which was a very nice unit. Lucky that we were on 5th floor, so that stairs could be used most of the time. Elevators were very slow! It took over 25 minutes to get from 5th Floor to ground level using elevator on Sunday, June 29. Every elevator going down was packed and could not get on with luggage. Ended up taking an elevator up, riding to 30th Floor and stopping at every floor coming back down, just to be able to get on an elevator. Yes, this elevator was packed.

Would not recommend this Resort to anyone, simply because of elevators.

Room Tip: Lower floors highly recommended.
1 Thank kpennington

Travelers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

Indian Springs, Alabama
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have been looking at purchasing a unit for a rental program in this property. These issues MUST be addressed and changed before we will consider going any further. I for one agree that service with a SMILE is critical and the umbrella system must be curved to be the same for all whether paid for by the owner or direct buy. Those positions in front of the hotel are by bid. These issues must be addressed by the home owners association. They all must be advised of the problems that effect the value of their properties for rental or resale. I would ask that you directly write a note to the home owners association. Hopefully they are paying attention to the reviews. I for one have been on several properties we are considering and this was a big help. The way a property is managed is critical to the investment . The whole system must run like a well oiled machine, or the engine will lock up!
Thanks,
D Thornton

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TheThorntonFamily
Central City, Kentucky
Reviewed July 2, 2014

First off when you arrive at the check in time they have not got the rooms ready, for $300+ nightly that along is sad. The security out front is very rude. Some people are allowed to unload there but most are told to go across the street to garage to unload, I guess if you slip the security guard a $50 you don't have to unload elsewhere. Then there are but a few carts to unload with, so best bet is help someone with a cart unload and follow them to there room and retrieve that cart, but that will take at least an hour or 2 because of the elevators. We ended up getting only our bags to our room with out a cart. I got up early the next morning and final got the other stuff. This is the 1st time I have ever had so much trouble getting checked in and unloaded at anywhere I have stayed.
If you rent though Wyndams you get 2 Beach Chairs and umbrella with your stay, but you have to wait in line every morning to get one, there are 240 sets of them and they won't give you one for the length of your stay, I do not come on vacation to pay $300+ to wait in lines. I know they are paid for this service by owners, but if you go down and pay there normal fee they will give you a front row chair for the length of you stay or you can slip the guys a $50. These are the most rude Beach service people I have every seen anywhere. Did I also mention the wait for an elevator to get to the line in the first place, we are on the 29th floor, walking up and down is not an option.
The room we were in was nice, I have not complaints about that, one little issue, some one had unhooked the Infinity cable box from TV in living room, which caused us to only get a few channels, not a big issue because we watch very little TV on vacation. I reported to a very nice young lady at the front desk and it was fixed when we came in that night, they had to reboot the box is what note said, I had hook it back up myself but would say not an authorized box.
Personally I will never stay here again nor will any I have talked to this week. It might be ok to stay at when it is the off season, not so busy. As I said early my condo was in good shape. The view from the 29th floor was awesome. I read a review that said this was an excellent place to stay, but he was on the first floor, I guess that would be awesome. lol
Bottom line is wait all year for this week, pay for a premium product and get stuck in a living nightmare here at Tidewater Resort.
I do not write a lot of reviews but thought this one was necessary. I ready the reviews before booking here and some are good, like the ones on the lower floors, I tend to think people expect way to much and I go into all condo stays opened minded and to be able to understand everything won't be perfect, but this was bad!

Room Tip: Stay on the first 3 floors of an off season period.
3 Thank Terry D
Vancleave, Mississippi
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The room was nice. I have one room complaint...the television. My wife picked this particular condo (unit 2916) specifically because it had upgrades. It had a 42" flat screen, granite, stainless, travertine, etc. I was nicely equipped.

However, we checked in on Sunday. I turned the tv on almost immediately and noticed no sound. I troubleshot a little bit (I'm an electrical engineer so I'm pretty tech savvy) and concluded that the tv was in fact bad and this was not operator error. There was just enough volume to hear the tv from across the room but not enough volume to hear what was being said. And if there was a conversation going on in the room, forget about it. So early that day (still Sunday) we made our way back down (after a 15-20 minute wait for the elevator) and I notified the front desk that my tv had no sound. Monday went by and Tuesday went by with NO contact at all from the desk or maintenance. Wednesday morning I made my way back down and inquired and I was told that there was no ticket (but I saw the girl write up the ticket so it apparently never got input into their electronic system). That same day maintenance was sent directly up and they played with the remotes for ten minutes concluding the same thing that I had concluded 4 days earlier....the tv was bad. They said "we had another tv do this and we got a soundbar". I said, "Ok, that'll work for me. When can you get one?" He said "I don't know, the tv's are owned by the owners, you need to contact the owner." Really? I need to contact the owner because their/your tv is broken? Really? So I again went to the front desk......let me add here that the phones had been out since we arrived Sunday so there was no calling the front desk, you had to wait the 15-30 minutes for an elevator EVERY time you needed to go downstairs....So I went back down to the desk and they said, "No, you rented through Wyndham so we will take care of it. The next day I had a soundbar but the tv picture was also going out and they knew that but it was up to the owner to get a new tv and that apparently doesn't happen very quickly. So I now had sound but I pity the person who has to go in there and try to figure out that Vizio sound bar with the Samsung tv. (See attached pic to see what the tv picture looks like. This video problem was intermittent. Sometimes it was there and sometimes it wasn't.)

My next kinda/sorta gripe is the chair rentals. You have to be downstairs at 8:30 to rent your chair for the day. There will be a line of 50+ people at 8:15 and half of the chairs will STILL be empty all day. People rent the chairs just in case and then never use them. AND....the chair police will walk by all day verifying that you have the right chair. They ask you your name and room just to make sure that you aren't sitting in somebody else's empty chair.

Now the biggest complaint which I've already briefly mentioned is the elevator situation. It IS as bad as everyone says it is. There are way too many people and floors for the 7 elevators. Particularly at checkin/checkout times, you will seriously spend 20 minutes or more EASILY waiting for the elevator to get to you. And then, when it gets there, IT'S FULL! Because the lazy round people on the first ten floors would rather ride up to 30 and back down then take the stairs down 10 flights. So if you are like us and stuck on the 29th floor, you wait for an elevator and then when it finally gets to you, it's full of people from the bottom floors who are just riding. And yes, just as others have said, when you finally do get on it, it WILL stop at almost every floor and when the doors open....(crickets chirping)....there's nobody there. People will push two sets of elevator buttons (which are 50' from each other) and get on the first elevator to get there which then ties up the other elevator because it's still being called to that floor.

Bottom line, if you have a choice, particularly at a condo with less floors, pick the other one. This condo is doable but if you have blood pressure problems, you'll spend the week with a red face.

Room Tip: Stay on a low floor because of the elevator problems.
4 Thank Shawn R
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I've never considered jumping off of a building, until I stayed on the 16th floor of the Tidewater. It took my family nearly two hours to get a luggage cart and get from the parking deck to our room.

I timed each elevator trip after that one, many of which stopped ON EVERY FREAKING FLOOR going down.

Room was mediocre at best.. dirty dishes, hair on bed.

After I took my luggage from my room to the car upon checkout, which took 1 hour 6 minutes, I saw a real estate agent showing the property to potential buyers. "Is the elevator always this slow?" She said "No, it's normally quick..."
God will punish her.

In the meantime, I plan to sell fast passes to the elevator like Disney does their rides... it's the new retirement plan I came up with on one of my many elevator rides...

• Stayed June 2014
8 Thank HonestBill
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Horrible experience. Although our 16th floor unit is very nice I cannot recommend the place due to high density bldg and a mgmt company that can't handle the demand. The elevator situation is abominable"""". We are here now staying thru July 4th week. Check in was yesterday and rooms weren't ready for most. The elevators aren't equipped to handle even a 50% occupancy. Our DVD player doesn't work and can't get anyone to help. I paid very good money for our unit and I want a darn DVD player that works. Another occupant rushed to an elevator that we were finally able to get on, and she was ready to explode because the room keys were deactivated well before the allotted check out time. She was furious and had to wait. 30 to get the rest of her bags in the unit. I feel like I'm caged in my unit because I don't want to deal with delays and likelihood of climbing
16 flights up a non air conditioned stair well because every elevator is packed full. Totally classless situation. I will never return. July 4th week I know would be crowded but this is beyond every single persons expectations. Every person in the elevator slams this place. Do not go!!!

5 Thank cindyhuckleberry