“Terrible Tidewater”

Tidewater Beach Resort
Leesburg, Georgia
“Terrible Tidewater”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

The stay at the tidewater was very unpleasant. The carts disappear at check in time, and you have to go searching for them. The elevators are a nightmare. The waits are very long, sometimes up to 30 minutes, and then you're crammed in like sardines because no one wants to wait another 30 minutes. There is at least one if not two elevators out of order everyday. Our shower door was leaning against the bathroom closet when we arrived in our room. The couch was stained, and needed to be disposed of. The tub was stopped up, lights needed to be replaced that were out, and dishwasher didn't work. I had to call security for people running up and down walkways in front of our room at 3am. The place is very loud. There were people spitting off the balcony as well.I reported this to resort quest and they investigated and said they hope my overall vacation was enjoyable and that on my next visit to contact them personally so they can assist. That will never happen. My advice is to steer clear of this place. Everyone I talked to was very disappointed and said they'd never stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on first two floor and avoid the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank culbreth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Fleming Island, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Our Condo was very nice. But the wait for elevators is not worth a "nice condo" This place needs a visit from the fire dept. on a Saturday. People cram into the elevators after a 30 minute wait. The elevator is way over there maximum pound allowance. While there for 1 week we heard stories of elevators breaking down and people having to be rescued. Run, run from this huge condo complex.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Debbie F

Travelers are raving about these Panama City Beach hotels

Huntington, WV
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

The prior reviews regarding the horrible elevator situation are absolutlely truthful. Our family of 8 including my 75 year old mother who has had two knees replaced spent a week there the third week of July. I actually did not even feel safe in the event of a fire or disaster of some sort. We were on the 18th floor and have no idea how we would have gotten my mother out if there were a problem. You spend your vacation waiting for the working elevators. One of the garage elevators malfunctioned and would not open if the doors closed on someone. They very nearly smashed my 3 year old niece. This one was then shut down for the remaining 3 days of our stay. The beach chairs situation is as described previously with chairs on the entire beachfront. Not to mention that people with their own chairs are allowed by the lifeguards to set up their personal chairs at the waterline in front of the condo chairs that people pay to rent. This place was poorly designed and I would never stay at Tidewater again!!! Learned a valuable lesson I will not ever stay in a highrise beach hotel that is more than 6 floors in which I cannot climb stairs if I need to.

2 Thank jbxl3210
Panama City Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

As stated in other reviews, the elevator situation is absurd. The wait is 30 minutes on a weekend. At least one of the elevators is out of order every day. It's much quicker to take the stairs (6 flights). If you're going to build a 30-story building, have enough functioning elevators to accommodate the traffic.

There are hundreds (yes I counted them) of beach chairs located directly in front of the building, so that section of beach is pretty much unusable.

The parking garage is great in theory, not so much in reality. First you have to get to the second floor walk through which can take forever depending on the elevator. Then it's a pretty good walk across, then another elevator to whatever floor you parked on. If you need a luggage cart, plan to walk the halls in search of one - they're scarce. And huge. Definitely won't fit in your condo and they take up most of the elevator. You can park in front of the resort to unload but that's no help without a luggage cart.

Be sure your unit isn't located close to an elevator. I should have asked, because ours is directly across from the elevator. The bedroom is located on the interior side and faces the hallway and the elevator. You will hear the elevator 24/7 and you definitely can't open your curtains if you want any privacy.

I won't stay here again. It's not worth the wasted time trying to get an elevator. The condo itself is average and for the same price I'm sure there are plenty of other options that don't make vacation stressful.

1 Thank Carol L
Salem, Ky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed at Tidewater July 19th thru July 23rd, 2013. Had stayed there before and always been well satisfied. This time, however, was a different story. Condo was nice. Elevators was horrible! Felt virtually trapped in condo because the wait for the elevators was horrible. And if you did happen to get on one was always crowded. Was told by another person that if you held the ground button it wouldn't stop to let others on. Just to check this out we did this on one of the front three elevators once and it worked. A tidewater employee said it wouldn't but it did. Also, when we complained to an employee, she said " I hear this all the time." For what I paid for a 3 bedroom condo during prime time I expected better.

2 Thank Dorrie2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

My family of 5 stayed at the Tide Water for 4 nights. We had a discounted rate because we had to change rooms after 2 nights. We started in unit 1107. It was great. We then moved to 2015 which we did not like as well. It was plenty big enough, but not quite as clean, although not bad either. It did have a bigger balcony which was nice! The move went smooth & of course we weren't charged extra for staying in our old unit past checkout, until next unit was ready  Most all the reviews mention the slow elevators. They are slow, but not horrific or anything. There are elevators for the condo floors as well as parking garage elevators every time you leave in vehicle. Free movie rentals. Wi-Fi a bit slow.  Front desk attendant nice to us. They have quite a lot of beach chairs, however all booked all the time. We could go down though & they would still let us sit at one because they said people come down to beach for awhile & then leave. We usually go to Ft. Walton/Destin area so this was a little bit different. Tide Water is a bigger condo than we usually stay in. It's like a 30-31 floor building. Beach was very very busy! 2 outdoor pools & 1 indoor that were all pretty busy.  We ate one night at Liza's & although I think I would rather eat some place else, the food was good & waiter nice.  Not too pricy for a family on a budget.  Overall it was a pretty typical Gulf stay & we would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank VacaMom4
Lafayette, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

My fam. and I went the wk before the 4th of July. We looked at a couple of other places that were older and dirtier before we decided to shell out the money for a condo. we were in 507. The check in ladies were all nice, they let us go up and see the room( I always ask to do this so I know what I am getting) and even gave us a discount on the room(I had a code for so much off but it wouldn't work in the computer so she gave me one anyway). Yes the elevator is a pain, but we didn't mind the stairs, most of the time the elevator didn't take to long. I did here some first hand accounts of people getting stuck in them. The room was super clean. I went over the common surfaces of the kitchen, living and bathrooms with Clorox wipes and found no dirt!! the floors were clean too. No black feet from the floors on me or my family. They provided a starter pack of dish soap, paper towels, and laundry soap, but you need to bring or be ready to buy some more if you stay for more than a couple days. The free chairs and umbrella is nice, but I never understood why people were in line waiting at 6am to get a "good" spot. the entire front row is for paying customers, the free ones are 2nd row and back. People its just a chair!! the 3 pools were all nice and clean, so was the gym (it got all new equipment while we were there!) we did use the free dvd rentals and the kids liked that and the movies were new releases. The only problem we had was the stinch. on the first 2 days the smell in the morning was so bad you could not open the balcony door. Some said it was the trash shute but we smelled it all the way up to the pier. we just thought it was the bay across the road. The second problem was the A/C went down building wide but it was a easy fix to reset it myself, after we finally tracked down how to do it. The water was bad with seaweed and algea. We spent most of our time in St. Andrews park. No one was rude. Every morning someone was cleaning the beach area outside of the hotel. BUT you do have to watch for people spitting from the balconies. it happened every time we went down to the beach. (even more reason we swam at St. Andrews and not our hotel.) we will come back to PCB but we will find a condo closer to the state park.

Room Tip: Always ask to see your room!! we never make reservations and always always ask to see the room befor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family