“Food with flavor”

J Michael’s
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We started with a bowl of Gumbo and a Greek salad. The Gumbo was very good, a nice sized portion with plenty of goodies. We did add hot sauce to kick it up a notch, but it had nice flavor. The Greek salad was nice sized and it was good, not the way I make mine, but it was still very good. It needed a bite of lemon and vinegar, but that's it. We then split an order of Shrimp pasta which was excellent. This dish had more flavor than any pasta dish we have ever had, plenty of garlic! The meal was served with good garlic bread, warm and buttery. The decor is "local joint" with the dollar bills, surfboards, water skis, and "stuff" hung everywhere. The clientele was a combination of tourists in the know and locals. Our waitress was first rate, very helpful, friendly and willing to give a couple of gringo tourists all the time necessary to make a simple decision. We will be going back, for sure!

There are newer reviews for J Michael’s

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We visited during the off season. We got crab legs which were "fishy" tasting and the Chef's special. This was a shrimp curry dish served with mushy white rice. It tasted like something from a can. Maybe the fried food would have been better. Service was good and people were friendly. Nothing about the food made me want to return.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My family of 4 ate at J. Michaels for lunch. My husband ordered the roast beef sandwich. It is huge and messy. The bite I tried was very good. I had a half dozen raw oysters and a bowl of gumbo. The gumbo was relish. Full of shrimp and crab. Our kids at the chicken sandwich which they were thrilled with.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This restaurant has been family owned since 1942. We ate here in January when the crowd was down. In the summer there is usually a long wait. The food was excellent and so was the service. My husband has a shellfish allergy and cannot eat seafood. He ate the spaghetti and said it was very good. I had the fried flounder.....great.

The atmosphere is neat and I would highly recommend this restaurant when you are in Panama City.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

We had the flounder basket special. Delicious fish (and lots of it), fries, hushpuppies and slaw. The waitress was very efficient and friendly, visiting with us and telling us about the area.