“Glad we tried it again!”
Review of J Michael’s

J Michael’s
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed January 30, 2013

A couple of years ago we were seated at J. Michael's with our daughter and her two boys. They seated us in the back and for some unknown reason ignored the five of us. We were there mid-afternoon, so there were very few tables occupied. Everyone else had received drinks and had obviously ordered. After 20 minutes my daughter went to the only visible employee who was standing beside the bar to let her know we had not been helped. She seemed surprised, but another fifteen minutes later, still no contact with a waitress. We got up and left and explained why to the girl in the front. She looked shocked, but had been chatting with the bartender the whole time we'd been there. We left determined never to go back. however, since my daughter had heard good things about it more recently, we went back a couple weeks ago.
Glad we returned!. My husband and I had the daily special - black beans and rice, and my daughter tried the fish platter. All of it was good and generous in portion sizes. The hush puppies were really good and I would go back just for those - fluffy and flavorful, not greasy. Not sure how they deal with crowded Spring Break conditions, but we were happy with the service and the food this time in the off season.

Date of visit: January 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We visited J. Michael's Dockside Bar & Grill for the first time during the "off season" and upon walking in was promptly greeted. We had less than a 2 minute wait to be seated, and saw a bustling restaurant filled with locals and tourists alike. The food was hot, well prepared and of fitting portions. My wife had the baked oysters and claimed they were the best she'd ever had! I decided to try the roast beef sandwich with gravy and while it was a shock (since I'd never had it with gravy before) the flavor was pleasing. I didn't realize until our server told us we could order the gravy on the side that I would have ordered it that way, but regardless it was still good. Service was great, and while you could tell the staff was busy, they were all smiling, and engaging. Prices were very reasonable with our final bill of $31 for two. We never would have known about this restaurant if it wasn't for checking on TripAdvisor, and we plan to visit this restaurant every time we visit PCB.

Date of visit: January 2013
1  Thank Counsellor S
Reviewed December 31, 2012

This was the first time I visited J Michael's since I was a kid. Back then, it was pretty good...it was the place to go to for locals. That is certainly not the case now. The only thing good about it was the service. The Greek Salad? First of all, for $11.95, I was expecting a fabulous salad. It was not like any "GREEK" salad I had ever eaten. It was really just a plain salad. The "Not-so-Greek" dressing was terrible....I had to order Blue Cheese. The menu said that the add shrimp option included GRILLED shrimp. What I got was a handful of boiled, peel & eat, undeveined shrimp that tasted like straight iodine. THE MENU IS VERY LIMITED! If you want an appetizer, you are out of luck if they run out of oysters...which, they did. They sent out some "garlic bread" that was nothing short of a butter soaked hotdog bun...and charged us for it. The only thing good about our experience was the service! There are many other great seafood restaurants to eat at on Panama City Beach other than this one!

Date of visit: December 2012
1  Thank nealb13
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I cook a lot. 30 years ago some friends and I jumped on our rice grinders and rode from Hammond LA to Panama City. A local recommended J Michaels and gave us directions.
The year was 1980. I was 21 and we all just wanted beer and oysters, so that's what we ordered along with 2 orders of garlic bread. Flash back to present (2012). Did I mention that I cook a lot? For years I've tried to duplicate the awesome garlic bread we had back in 1980. Tonight, I think I finally did it. No I will not reveal the secret, but it's garlicy, intense, crunchy, buttery and a little overly salty...the perfect garlic bread. So now I live in Steamboat Springs Co, and I mastered the garlic bread recipe tonight. So if this review doesn't convey anything else, it's that a restaurant that has been in business this long is worth visiting. And if the garlic bread is as good as 30 years ago, you might consider ordering some. And don't try dupicating it; it may take you some time.

Date of visit: January 2012
1  Thank Andy A
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Who would go to a place just for cole slaw? Give it a try. It is fantastic. Food is good. Consistent experience.