“Great Condo but Staff needs improvement”

Grand Panama Beach Resort
Reviewed August 24, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Grand Panama Beach Resort from August 17th to August 22nd. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom gulf-view condo. We were able to check in early with no problem. The condo was very nice with modern appliances and decorations. The master bedroom had a separate bath and a very nice shower. The grounds were beautiful and definately one of the better resort areas in PCB. The free DVDs were great. It is set up like a free RedBox We had a great stay with very few problems. Everyone had to wear pool tags which was a little annoying considering I lost mine the first day and had to pay $10 for a new pool tag. The staff were not the friendliest. I usually expect to have staff try to do whatever they can to make your my stay pleasant. However, when I would I ask them about about towels or a pool tag or anything, they usually were not as friendly as I feel they should have been. If they could work on staff issues and maybe a little more attention to detail with cleaning this place would be amazing. I would add that cleanliness is not bad at this place. Overall, it was very clean. We just had to sweep some cigarette butts off the balcony when we arrived.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iujontom

Reviewed August 20, 2009

We loved our one bedroom, 2 bath condo. It had roomy bunks in the hall for the kids. The furnishings were lovely. Granite countertops in kitchen and baths. It had all the conveniences of home: w/d, dishwasher, full kitchen, two TV's, free movies. We were in the gulf-view tower. We were on the 11th floor with a nice view of the water and the strip. The parking garage was in our building and could be a bit crowded at night. They do have overflow parking adjacent to it. The pools were beautiful and never crowded. We would stay there again. Our only complaint was that the luggage racks were not plentiful. Maybe people don't return them as they should.

We found our best price online and then called the condo directly. They matched the best price.

2  Thank RJ2Missouri
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Stayed in Tower 2, Room space was what I expected but would recommend a 2 bedroom condo if you have more than 4 people. The room was surface clean but the floors and carpets were filthy. We had to wash the kitchen floor ourselves just so our feet would not be black each day. The main pool looks much bigger in the pictures than it really is, although the pool in tower 2 was nice. The rest of the stay was fine. I would stay here again, but would make a request that the carpets and floors be cleaned before my stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Bufbillsabc
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My overall experience was good at the resort. We just went for a long weekend trip. I stayed in the 1 BR 2BA with hall bunk area. There were 2 adults and 4 kids. We had plenty of room once we moved some of the oversized furniture around and made more room. We were in the second tower and it still had magnificent views (on the 11th floor). Traffic was noisy at night, but this is Panama City Beach I cannot believe other reviewers didn't expect that. It was part of the experience. Yes, traffic is slow on Front Beach Road because again, it is PCB....It's tradition to "cruise" on front beach road at night. Get a grip people. My only complaint is that the condo was VERY dirty. Looked clean upon initial inspection. You could tell it had not been vacuumed in a few visits and there was mold in the master shower along the caulk line. It was bad enough that the caulking should be replaced. The carpet was REALLY GROSS. It turned all of our feet BLACK. After I saw my 3 year olds feet on the first day, we all had to wear shoes for the duration of the stay. Had I paid more than $99 a night, I'd be having a fit right now! The decorations were generic and cheap but the furnitre was nice and comfortable. There was plenty of room for clothes in the master bedroom, but that was the only storage for 6 people in the condo. I didn't have a problem with the elevators or the luggage carts. Parking is NOT Suburban friendly! The spaces are small and it is very difficult to find a spot that a suburban can fit into. Oh, and there is no internet Wifi in the rooms. Only in the pool area and busines center.

If you get a chance, go to the Pier Park. It was fun and had some unique shops. The Back Porch's food was good. The Pier was very long and fun to watch the fishermen and women.

1  Thank Trentondrive
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I absolutely loved this place! We just got back from an 8 day stay here. We were in the main tower on the 18th floor. The elevator wait was a little slow, but if that's the only complaint, I'd say you're doing pretty good!! The only time we had a problem, was with the comforter having a small stain on it, but I went to the lobby and told them about it and they came and got it and brought me a new one right away. There were plenty of pots and pans to cook with and the beds were pretty comfortable. The view from our balcony was very pretty except towards the end of our stay the water got pretty murky. We could also look right down and see the beautiful pool! I recommend shopping at Pier Park (where Ron Jon's and Margaritaville are) The Volcano nachos at Margaritaville were amazing and Dirty Dicks had some pretty good food. Traffic gets bad in the evening, if you need to go to walmart, don't go on the weekend, and take Hutchison road, not the beachfront road! It gets bumper to bumper at night!

1  Thank OklahomaMatandsteph
Reviewed July 27, 2009

We had the most wonderful long weekend at Grand Panama Beach Resort. We were on the 14 th Floor West End of Building with a view looking out to the Gulf of Mexico and a window that looked out over Panama City Beach. You could see for miles. All balconies looked out over the Pool and Tiki Bar Area. Check-in was a breeze. Everyone was very nice, professional and helpful. We will definity visit again.

Reviewed July 25, 2009

Grand Panama Beach Resort is new and clean. We had a gulf front, 2 bedroom with a King and Queen bed. TV's/DVD's in every room. VCR in living room. We were supposed to have a gulf view but they gave us gulf front. I would recommend it if you can find it on sale. We paid $211 July/09 with a sale from Bookit but I feel that was too high for what you get.

PROS
Great location near everything-always take Middle and Back Beach Rds
Great view
Good service-quick check in and out
huge master closet
provide soap, shampoo, lotion, paper towels, washing powder, coffee-never had condo do that before
Pool good

CONS
The condos are narrower that others I've stayed at-only a few feet between the foot of the King bed and dresser.
No phone service-phone dead-no problem since we had cells
Large pillar blocking view from master bedroom
Even on 14th floor could hear yelling and honking from Front Beach Rd. No bother in master but loud in 2nd bedroom.
Spend a lot of time waiting on elevators. Parking is across street, walkway on 5th. Go from 14th to 5th floor, cross over walkway and if you couldn't get a space on P5, wait for elevator to P2,3 or 4.
Luggage carts hard to find.

NOT QUITE A CON BUT AGGRAVATING
Tiki bar is just a cement building near pool, drinks $8 for <12 oz
Green algae in Gulf (all Panama City Beach)
Traffic bumper to bumper late afternoons and evenings, use back road entrance
beds hard
furniture somewhat uncomfortable
Kitchen had no teakettle, only 1/2 gallon pitcher for tea
Wi-Fi only at pool, lobby, coffee bar
Overall I gave it a 4 because of cleanness, view, but not a 5 because of elevators and narrowness

1  Thank BusyMomMobile_AL