“Young family keeps returning”

Wyndham Vacation Resorts Panama City Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Amishville
“Young family keeps returning”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our family has stayed here for several trips to PCB. We have stayed at other PCB resorts and find this to be the cleanest and we love the design upgrades. Granite, extra seating in kitchen and living rooms, fast service from housekeeping and maintenance. We have checked in at all hours of the night and have never been at the desk for more than 20 minutes. It is a time share...if you don't want the runaround...don't take the free stuff. Just say no! Our children are 8, 11 and 12. They keep busy at both pools and the beach. We have stayed in all sizes and styles of rooms and the 1 bedroom with bunk beds and pull out is plenty big enough for 5. We wish there were restaurants and a spa on site. The work out room is decent and this past year the sky bar had karaoke and let families join the fun. It is missing some of the amenities of a 5 star ie kid services, etc. BUT the cost of chair rental, etc in front of the resort is reasonable compared to others. This resort is not in a college spring break area and we liked that. There are still some idiots anywhere you go in PCB during March & April though. Great shopping close by and an easier drive to all the favs. I would completely disagree with previous comments about the quality of the rooms. This resort always shoots for super clean! Time share presentation is what it is...don't go if you don't like the pressure. Only one bad comment I have is, my daughter left her ipod in the room and we realized 10 minutes down the road. Housekeeping had already been in the room and it was gone when we returned. Never saw it again.

Room Tip: Get a room above the 3rd floor
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had few of the issues previous posters complained about, in part because we followed some of their advice. There really isn't any way to avoid the "concierge" as that is where the registration desk agents send you to obtain your parking permit and facility access wristband. We simply told the young lady that we did not want to be bothered while on vacation, and we weren't. We also unplugged the phones once we got to our unit (1044), which was spacious and well appointed. My 20 year old pulled one of the mattresses off of a bunk bed in the hallway, as he was too tall to fit there, and moved it to the small bedroom where he and his 25 y.o. sister took turns sleeping in the "real" bed. We also had no problems checking in, getting a bell cart to leave, checking out, or getting an elevator when we needed one. I think a lot of this was due to timing...the crowd seemed down a bit since school had started in many states, we checked in at 5:30-ish and checked out around 6:45 a.m. on Saturdays, and didn't try to use the elevators during rush hour, which seems to be 10:00 a.m.

We didn't have any issues with street or partying noise on the tenth floor. Our unit had two bedrooms and bunk beds in the entry hallway. Our master bedroom had bay windows overlooking the gulf, and a large, adjoining master bath.

Weren't really fazed by the layout as many seemed to be. Once we got the lay of the land, it really wasn't a problem. We didn't try to fight the hoards trying to park on the third floor of the garage to be near the skywalk from the administration side to the beach side. In fact, we had great success entering the garage from the east (Emerald) side and finding parking slots on the first floor. Failed to find one only twice the whole week, and then only had to go about halfway up the ramp to find a spot, so it was really a wash.

Our two biggest issues were the size of the complex, which was too big for the amount of beach they had access to, and the cost of the beach service rental chairs and umbrella. Still, if you really want to go to Panama City Beach, you can do a lot worse than Wyndham.

Overall, a postive experience. Would recommend looking at one of the other beaches in the Florida panhandle than PCB, however. South Walton, Destin or Navarre are better.

Room Tip: Go ahead and splurge for the larger of the two unit choices (I forget what they're called at the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ColorBars
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I brought my wife to the resort for her birthday, along with a couple of close friends. The room we had was very nice, the beds comfortable and the decor very tasteful. All in all a very enjoyable stay. The staff were friendly and really couldn't do enough to help. However, when I booked the room about a month in advance, I asked for a high floor. When we arrived we were initially offered a room on the first floor which we declined and were provided one on the fifth floor. Apparently the advance booking request really does not mean anything to room allocation staff.

Previously we have stayed at the East end of Front Road around the Edgewater area. The visit to Wyndham provided close access to Pier Park and its extensive amenities. We believe that we would probably return to this neighborhood in future rather than where we used to lodge.

The only negative remark I would make is that we asked the front desk to order us a taxi. The one they recommended and that eventually turned up gouged us big time and we paid double the amount that we paid for the return journey. Not sure if this was a one off rouge driver or not but I would recommend that a close review is made of taxi firms held on file to ensure that this does not taint others view of the services provided.

Room Tip: It really does not matter which room you choose as you will be allocated whichever room the front de...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David V
NYC
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed at this motel/hotel July 22-29 2012. Before we came we got a bit of a runaround on the phone from the staff. They were not going to let my cousin do the checkin (probably because I'm the timeshare owner/trader and they wanted to sell me) till I said I'd just get a guest certif from RCI, then all of a sudden she was allowed. I just don't like being lied to. I couldn't get a straight answer as to whether our room would have the bunks in the hall either. The staff is typicially pleasant on the phone, but def have their own agenda. One rep was clearly unhappy with his job and was unwilling to help in any way. I told my cousin to be VERY VERY clear that we would not be attending any presentations, that we were not interested in purchasing anything, and we were not bothered at all by the sales people. Now, it was really really busy the week we were there so perhaps they had bigger fish to fry. My advise is to be as clear as you can about this, and they may leave you alone as they did to me.

Things to know: the free valet is fine, if you want to wait in a long line. It's a single lane drive, so you can't even back out once you decide to go that route. Perhaps at checkin/out but otherwise it's just not worth the time. Just park in the garage across the street. The garage is connected to a building that contains the checkin/out desk, the SkyBar (on 3), a Starbucks and the gift shop. THere is also a second pool on this side of the street, which has some nice sprinklers etc for the kids. But on one side you're looking at the parking deck, so it's not scenic at all. Sortof feels inner city. The pool bar here is very limited and they are not all that friendly or helpful. They certainly are not interested in service. You can't get many of the common drinks like a daquiri or a margarita. Go figure. There is no food service at either pool. That, and the fact that there is no on site restaurant, spa, etc, in my opinion disqualifies this hotel from being a resort. Plus, it can be a zoo: ppl walking around in the lobby without shoes, in wet bathing suits, etc. Not that sanitary to my way of thinking. People like to come from the other pool that faces the beach, or the beach itself, and walk across the street to the secondary pool that is by the garage, mentioned above. They have to get there by way of the checkin desk so they tend to walk through the lobby barefoot. Yuck. But the design of the building forces you to go via this lobby.

If you park on 1, you have to either cross the street to get into the hotel lobby for the elevators, and there's no cross walk, or you can use the elevator/escalator in the buidling to get to 3 where you can cross over the street by way of the sky bridge. The traffic on the road is really intense, so if you have older folks or kids, I would not recommend crossing outside. If you park on 3, you can just walk across the skybridge to get to the building that houses the units. To get to the elevators that take you to your floor, you either have to take the escalator down to the lobby of the hotel building, then find your way to the elevator to get you to the floor of your hotel unit. Otherwise, there is a firedoor to the right of the escalators that would take you to the hotel lobby where you can walk down about 5 steps, through another fire door, and go around the corner to the elevator bank where you'll be on 3.

Elevators: yep, it's true. They're HOT, and they don't come often. Try to be patient. Remember, you're on vaca. The corridors are like a motel: they're outside, so that's hot too. The unit we had (2249 I think... high floor, all the way on the end) had 2 BR, 2BA. The finishes were nice. The bed was comfortable. It was certainly sufficiently spacious. There was a center island with stools where we did have some meals. The kitchen was reasonably well stocked. There was a w/d, dw, full fridge, full range, coffeemaker, microwave, etc. The finishes were starting to look a bit tired, but it was very nice in all. The master bath had frameless shower doors, 2 sinks, plenty of storage, a jetted tub. There was a large walkin closet, and a nice bay window, and a separate door to the balcony. The balcony was pretty small, and there wasn't enough seating for everyone.

The beach was FULL of seaweed! It wasn't all that bad, and didn't smell as some do. It was not slimy like seaweed can be. It was actually more like a loofa. But it would have been nicer had that not washed in. I understand that this was unusual. It is a very nice beach, nice waves, etc. We got a nice boogie board at WalMart for $25. Well worth it. Half price when we were there. Many folks bring that big tent for shade, and their own chairs. You're allowed to bring your own chairs to this beach, and an umbrella can be set up in front of the lounges that are part of the separate consession. I had called prior to arrival to find out the cost but did not get a call back. Generally expect to spend at least $30/day for 2 lounges with the pads and an umbrella. If you can, bring your own chairs and a nice big tent covering. The water was very nice and refreshing. The pool right by the beach was lovely and refreshing but very crowded due to the seaweed. Again, yes, a pool bar, but no lunch/snack service which was disappointing. Basic beer and simple vaca drinks. It seemed pretty clean, but tough to get a lounge so stake your spot early if this is where you want to spend your time. We liked to come up from the beach for a dip. You need to wear your wristbands to get in as they do check at the gate.

I set Room Service as very good as we had an issue with the sink and maintenance responded in a very prompt way. That was good. He fixed it quickly and was very friendly and polite.

Not too many ideas for you for dinners. We didn't go any place that I would necessarily recommend. One thing I would tell you to ABSOLUTELY plan for: call Aquatic Adventures before you arrive and book a waverunner tour of Shell Island. This was the best excursion I've ever done, and reasonable. Very worth it. If you have 2 waverunners, each is $100 for a guided 2 hour tour. We swam with dolphins off the beach... "in the wild"... brought home a BUNCH of sand dollars, saw the bay side of shell island, got off the waverunners and spent time at the beach there etc. Really excellent. Chris was our guide. He was very good. Tip well. They deserve it.

Our group really liked the go carts across the street. Did the mini golf one night at the same place and that was nice too. All in all, this was a fun vaca for families with kids/teens, but certainly not a "romantic" spot, and not as high class as Santa Rosa Beach/Destin spots like Rosemary Beach or Sandestin, where there are very nice restaurants and shopping. Set your expectations and have fun. THis is NOT the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton. Embrace the tattoos and grab a boogie board and some sunscreen!

Room Tip: Get the highest floor you can to diminish the road noise. Ask for one at the very end of the buildin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank litetravellerNYC
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was plesantly surprised by the rooms in this hotel.They were well maintained and very nice, our view was gorgeous...the staff not so great! To start off we checked in on a Friday afternoon, we were staying using one of my mother's timeshare weeks. When checked in we were told to go to another desk to get more information, we went to the other desk and they began the timeshare pitch and what not. We immediately cut them off and said were not interested we are here on a timeshare. She handed us our room cards and then we were off. So not as bad as we thought, wrong! We had to make the long trek to the check in desk twice after that which was very annoying...1st time since the lady wasnt going to get a sale off of us she neglected to give us a permit to hang in the window of our car. Didn't realize we needed it until after we arrived in the garage and saw the signs everywhere. Then the next morning we headed out to the pool and were turned away as we didnt have any wristbands! Yup she didnt get us those either... At least we got a workout?!?!?! So long story short, you are basically required to listen to the timeshare pitch if not be prepared to go back to get all items you'll need to do anything on the hotel grounds... All in all PCB reminds me of most over commercialized beach towns. I was down looking at venues for my wedding next May and had the pleasure of using the beaches along 30A whwere the wedding wil take place, they were much cleaner and not as crowded. Will be back next may but definately staying along 30A instead for a more relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AlexandraP844
Cumming , Ga.
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a very nice property in a beautiful area of Panama City Beach. The rooms are very nice and well equipped for a great vacation. We had a two bedroom unit with two full baths that slept six. We arrived in town early and called ahead and they were very nice about getting us our roon a few hours early. All the parking is across the street so it is a pain going back and forth to your vehicle. Here are the positives and negatives of our week long stay.

Positives:
Spacious ocean view rooms
Early check in available
Nice pool and hot tub
Covered parking area
Large balcony with sliding doors

Negatives:
Very slow elevators
Sweaty smell on bottom floor( pool area)
Very long walk from rooms to parking area
Master bathroom very tiny
Staff won't take no for an answer when you refuse their sales "tour"

Room Tip: High floors have better view but even longer waits for elevators.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank keo1050
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We arrived around 12:30 so we didn't expect our room to be ready since official check in time is 4:00pm. The front desk had us fill out paperwork and said they would give us a call once the room was ready. We figured this meant they would try to get the room ready a bit early, and decided to go enjoy the beach. The PCB sand is wonderfully soft and a beautiful white color. While there were a lot of people on the beach, there was always room to setup our umbrella and chairs. Most days were fine, but a couple of days the water was completely overtaken by seaweed. Around 2:30 we figured they had to call soon, so we did some grocery shopping to stock the kitchen... still no phone call when we finished so we went back to the front desk at 3:40. The guy at the desk apologized and said the room was finished being cleaned but still needed to be checked, so he called housekeeping and said it would just be a few minutes. I went and sat in the lobby about 30 feet from the desk figuring he'd set me up any minute. At 4:00pm I walked up to that same employee while he was on the phone, assuming he was trying to figure out why our room wasn't ready, but nope, he was talking about sports with someone, so I went to another employee who finally gave us our room keys.

The 1 bedroom deluxe room on the 20th floor was large and had a wonderful beach view directly over the pool. Enjoyed all our breakfasts on the balcony table, except when the cigar smoke from our neighbor would drift over. I would definitely recommend getting a room on the higher floors, the walls don't stop a lot of noise (regular conversations of people walking by outside), so I could see noise being a problem on the lower levels. The only problem with higher floors is it can take awhile to get an elevator. There is another set of elevators they don't tell you about (to the left as you get down the escalator) that is much quicker. It would have been nice to have a broom handy as you can feel sand everywhere on the tile floors after your first beach visit. The water pressure was terrible, definitely not good at getting sand out of swimsuits. They are definitely pushy with trying to get you to the owner presentation. We got about 10 phone calls welcoming us, verifying we were going to the presentation, re-verifying, etc. Very annoying when we wanted to be left alone on our honeymoon. Beachside pool gets crowded early, but it looked like there was lots of room at the other pool. Valet attendants were very friendly and attentive. Never took very long to get the car after calling ahead to have it brought around. Front Beach Rd. is extremely busy, so take back roads to PCB Parkway if you need to drive any distance.

Definitely recommend checking out City Pier to see sea-life (dolphins, jellyfish, rays) and Pier Park for the plethora of restaurants... both are just a little ways down the road. The hidden-lagoon mini golf place a short walk from the hotel was great as well.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple