“Disappointed”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort
Reviewed October 15, 2012

If you read my other reviews, you'll see I very rarely complain, but there is a first time for everything right? It started off rough and only got slightly better. Made my reservation online, called the toll free customer service, called the Reflections sales office and then called Reflections again on my way there the day of arrival to confirm they understood we would be a very late night arrival and get any info I needed. Since check in is done through the Reflections resort office, I wanted to be certain our room would not be given away and that we would have no problems checking in late. Sadly, I was told only once during three calls that I would need to go to the security gate to get my room key. I assumed (mistakenly) that it would be obvious where security was located. I was not told that there was an after hours number or that the security gate was at a completely different entrance to the resort. (When you come in on Delwood Beach Road, there is a main entrance for Bay Point there with the security gate. However, the entrance for Holiday Inn Club Vacations, Reflections and the Wyndham is much farther down around the corner on Jan Cooley Drive, probably 1.5 miles.) So, the night of my arrival, I follow signs for the HICV... takes me to the entrance i mentioned on Jan Cooley. Reflections is of course closed and no signage telling me where security is or how to reach them. Drive over to Wyndham. Clerk tries to help me but doesn't know where the security office is either. It's after midnight and i am exhausted and getting frustrated. I drive down to the first entrance on Jan Cooley but the gate office there is closed and the gate allows for key card access only. I drive back to Reflections. I call the local phone number and the recording gives me the after hours number. Call it and speak to the security guard in the gate office back on Delwood Beach Rd. I drive back to his location. He finally hooks me up with keys and good directions. I've now spent over 30 minutes just trying to get checked in so i can go to my room. NOT A HAPPY CAMPER. :-( This is exactly why I called and called and called.

Now I'm in the room - it's decent. The door closes FAST and the door is heavy so watch out for little kids or elderly getting caught by the door. I asked for double beds instead of a king but got a king. I know they can only give what is available, but based on my experience already, I'm thinking no one cared to see if a room with doubles was available. (i reserved a 1bed 1ba unit and was told when i called that they have king and double beds available in the 1/1 combo)

The decor is ok, but lots of scuff marks on the walls, side table in living room area is ROUGH from water damage, bed is pretty hard for my taste. BUT the carpet is clean, the towels are clean. Ceiling fan blades are crazy dirty and something sticky all over the kitchen tile and most of the cabinet pulls. I'll survive.. I pull out the sheets for hide-a-bed in the couch. both are bottom sheets and one has greasy purple stains all over it.. (laundry soap?) couldn't use it. laid the other sheet down on the couch and slept on that with my own little blanket because the blanket they supply has other people's hair all over it. Yuck!

The next morning I almost fall to the floor because the toilet seat is so loose. I take a shower and it drains so slowly my feet are in dirty water the whole time. FRUSTRATION GROWING. I go to the kitchen to make my boys breakfast and open a bottom cabinet finding one very large half consumed bottle of alcohol left from the last guest. (It is also sticky so I figure it's the same stuff on the floor and cabinet pulls?) Go to Reflections office to "officially check in" and turn in the alcohol. Thank goodness i found it and not a little kid thinking it was water. I ask for the toilet and tub to be fixed.. easy stuff right? I get an apology about the alcohol. Glad the employee recognizes the danger there. Toilet was fixed, but tub never was. Reminded them about the tub when checking out, but it barely registered with this clerk, no apology for 3 days of showering in a backed up tub. The hair dryer in the bathroom doesn't lock in to the unit on the wall and constantly falls on to the bathroom counter.

I used the laundry room to wash our towels and some clothes (if you need towel exchange it's $5, the washer and dryer are free and they give you a small box of soap). The laundry room door wasn't working properly, had to swipe the card twice each time for it to unlock. only 1 dryer of 3 was working so had to be extremely patient waiting for my turn to dry stuff. Realized on the last day, there is another washer & dryer in the building next to the pool. I bought my own toilet paper because it wasn't worth going up to the office to ask for an extra roll since they only supplied one partial roll and we were there for 3 days. (extra facial tissue under the sink but no extra TP)

Since most people will stay in the rooms several days, it would be nice if they would supply each room a simple broom and dustpan. Going to the beach brings in sand. I hate walking on dirty floors for days. It would also be nice if they would put trash bags in the cans that are sized appropriately and supply a dumpster instead of expecting people to shove trash bags in to the cans by the elevators. And a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser would work wonders on the walls! Since we were on a bottom floor, I was disappointed to see the window in the bedroom and sliding glass door in the living room had only heavy curtains - no sheers. I felt exposed having them open so kept them closed almost the whole time.

I had several dead or mostly dead centipedes and beetles in the room, but it's Florida, you can't expect to not have bugs. I had to assume based on the death rate that the property manager was actively spraying and trying to minimize the bugs. Ants and roaches were never a problem.

My experience was so disappointing I would not stay here again, but I'll give some of the positives as it may be a good location for others who can learn from my visit..
1) it is a very quiet location. we were there during bike week (not on purpose!) and was glad we didn't end up in a noisy hotel on the beach.
2) there is a nice little dock behind the Wyndham where my son fished for hours every day
3) it was nice to have more space than a traditional hotel room and the full kitchen was really nice to have. just be aware since it's a one bathroom, the sink, toilet and shower are all behind one door so it's one person at a time getting ready
4) there was a nice little playground immediately outside our patio door for little kids and a pool there + about 3-4 other pools and hot tubs on the property
5) while it's away from the beach, it's not a far drive at all and allows you to take in some of the scenery. there is a publix and winn-dixie at the corner of the main road so getting supplies, gas, etc. is super easy.
6) the rooms have connecting doors so if traveling with family, you can get adjoining units.

Last point I want to mention... this is a hard core golf resort. I almost ran over 3 dudes on carts the first morning there because there is no signage as you approach the Reflections building from the HICV building that there is a golf cart crossing. A sign and some stripes on the road need to be added before someone gets squished.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank saraga1908
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Hello there and thank you so much for reviewing your recent stay with us. We are disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations. We apologize for any mix-up that you may have encountered with a late night check-in. We’re happy to hear that you were able to get your room key though and get on with your vacation. We always encourage our guests to let us know what needs or issues that we can help with to make sure that they have the very best vacation experience possible. We apologize if you feel that your concerns were not treated with the care that they deserve or the quality that our guests have come to expect from us. We appreciate you letting us know what items you believe need attention to make stays better for our guests. It’s also nice to see that you felt there were some positives to your stay. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again, so that we can show you how much fun vacationing with us can be.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Wanting a change of pace from Orange Lake in Orlando, we decided to try out the Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point. The resort itself has a nice, quiet location. It's a short 10 minute drive to St. Andrews State Park and about 20-25 minutes to Pier Park. We had arrived that morning in Panama City Beach and mistakenly thought check in was at 3 pm. When we found out it was 4 pm and we were already in the parking lot of the resort, we thought we'd try our chances and try to check in early. The nice lady at the reception desk was more than happy to check us into our room an hour early. The rooms are located next to the golf course, not next to the bay like we thought. Our room didn't have too much of a view since some trees were growing there. However, the room itself was great. It was pretty clean and had everything we could ask for (except a personal washer/dryer; we'd rather not have to take our dirty laundry down a few floors). We took full advantage of the refrigerator, stove top, sink, and dish washer. The bathroom and bedroom accomodated us perfectly and had just the right amount of space.
There were some things that could be improved with this resort. Room service never came to make up the room or anything, so I'm not sure if that was supposed to happen or not or if we had to pay an extra fee. And there were no directions on what to do with our trash, so we just ended up taking it to the trash can next to the elevator. Also, the elevator's Down button on our 3rd floor was broken, so we had to press the up button to call for the elevator. Furthermore, there was a utility door in the bedroom that we couldn't get to completely close, so that was a little unnerving.
Overall, though, the positive much outweigh the negatives at this resort and we will certainly come back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank M S
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent couples getaway with us. It’s always important to get away and give yourself time to relax together. Our staff is constantly striving to make sure that you have the very best vacation possible, so we’re glad to hear that we were able to get you on your way to your villa early. It’s always great to squeeze in a little bit more relaxation time. We’re happy to hear that your spacious villa was the perfect place to spread out. We appreciate you letting us know of any concerns that you encountered during your stay, our guests feedback is very important to us. You are correct that we are unlike a traditional hotel in that we do not offer daily housekeeping. Many of our guests find that the added convenience of this is a true bonus in regards to privacy. You couldn’t give us any higher compliment than a return stay, and we hope that we will see you back again soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

I have to say I was worried after reading some of the reviews but not any more this hotel was great. We stayed in a one bedroom villa with 2 adults & 2 kids. It was very nice and roomy, beds were comfortable, room was clean & A/C worked great. With the exceptions of the older TV's this room was perfect for us. I would not hesitate bring my family back to this resort we had a blast.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 790RodneyB
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Hi Rodney! Welcome home from your vacation with us. We’re so glad that you shared with us all about your vacation experience. We’re happy to hear that our villa was the perfect place to spread out and just be you on vacation. After all, isn’t that what it’s all about? You couldn’t give us any higher compliment than a return stay. Keep in touch with us and let us know when you’re on your way!

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Great location and Condo. I was nervous considering prior reviews. Our place was perfectly located, beautiful, great pools (4), clean, spacious and the staff was extremely helpful. The location directions took us straight to the Reflections building to check-in without problem.

We also got helpful tourist information and extra T.P from this office. We were told to try Seltzer's Public Beach and it was great! We made that our daily hangout.

The size of the 2 bd/2bath was great. We had 6 adults and 2 kids. The master was big enough for the kids cots and the 2nd bedroom was LARGE with 2 queen beds. The kitchen had a large pantry and all the dishes and appliances we needed. We cooked in 6 of the 7 nights. We also had 2 balconies. We were located between the clay tennis courts and a pool. Plenty of parking and shade for our 2 cars.

My husband played golf twice on property. He thought both courses were in great shape. Ate at Lime's for lunch (on the Boardwalk), take the boat to Shell Island and go on the Sea Dragon Pirate Ship with the kids. They had a blast!

We will be going again! Our adult kids said this was our best family vaction to date. Holiday Inn Club Vacations should really update their photos online. The ones you have now don't do it justice.

Room Tip: Request a corner unit. 2288 and 2287. We think is was actually laid out better than others.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SugarLandHouston

Hello there from Holiday Inn Club Vacations. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We’re so pleased to hear that our resort was the perfect home base for your family getaway, and that our spacious villas were a great space to spread out and relax with such a large group on vacation. That is always so important. Our staff is constantly striving to make sure that our guests have the very best vacation experience possible, and we’re glad to hear that you experienced nothing less. You give your fellow TripAdvisor community some great tips for future vacations. We can’t wait to see you again!

Reviewed April 13, 2012

After having stayed at The South Beach Resort in Myrtle Beach and the Holiday Inn Resort in Gatlinburg, this "resort" did not at all live up to the Holiday Inn Club standards one would expect. When we called prior to arrival to verify the address of Bay Point, no one could find our reservation, even with a confirmation number. After numerous phone calls, we finally were connected with someone who could help us, and confirm that we did in fact have a reservation. (It had been set up for nearly 5 months.) Upon arrival, we checked in at Reflections, and were directed to our room. Our room was on the second floor, and no bell cart was available, we do not travel light, so getting into the room was a little tedious. When we got into the room, we were, I guess disappointed. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. It was clean and the bed was comfy, but the bathroom was small, and the kitchen was too. Our "view" was of a road, dirt lot, murky pond, and a golf cart path. There was also no washer and dryer in our unit...no good. The location of the hotel was beautiful however! The "Wyndam Compound" as I like to call it was incredible! All of the employees were friendly and helpful. While out walking the first night, it made me wish we were staying in The Reflections Building or at the Wyndam. My wish came true however, after our second day of staying there when our neighbors decided to hang a bathing suit on a sprinkler head in their unit and flood our room as well as six or seven others. We were met at our door by one of the property managers who assured me that we would be moved to a room without wet carpet. We were moved to Reflections, which is a resort up to the standards of Holiday Inn Club. Our room had an incredible view, a beautiful kitchen, huge bathroom, and so much more! Having been an owner for close to nine years with Holiday Inn Club, I was disappointed with this resort, not the resorts around it, but the actual Holiday Inn property. It needs to be updated to keep up with the other resorts in this chain in which I have stayed. Overall, if we do return to Panama City, we will NOT stay with Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point. We would however, return to Reflections no questions asked.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jessica S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear Jessica S,

Thank You for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were a little reluctant to visit this Panama City Holiday Inn Club Resort after reading some of the reviews, but we’re glad we didn’t listen to them. This is a really beautiful place. We purchased our club plan in Myrtle Beach, and granted, this resort is not as new, nor as modern as theirs, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with this facility. We had a 2 bedroom villa with a full kitchen. We were told that all 2 bedroom villas have kitchens, but some of the 1 bedrooms do not. Just ask when making reservations. Our beds were very comfortable. Our rooms were clean. We visited in January, so some of the amenities were not available to us. The outdoor pools, the outdoor bar and grill, the resort’s beach and the marina were closed for the season, but we expected that. We had access to all Wyndham facilities, which gave us anything we might want. The indoor pool and hot tub were very nice. We ate at the restaurant in the Wyndham, and it was excellent. I’m a runner, so I ran the cart path for all 18 holes of the Jack Nicklaus golf course, and it’s beautiful. If you’re a golfer, you’d have to love it. I also ran by the marina. In the summertime it offers opportunities to take fishing and sightseeing tours. I understand they also have jet ski rentals. The resort’s beach area is on an inland waterway and is very small, but it was also very tranquil. I would think it would be a great getaway from the crowded Gulf beaches during the summer. However, the beaches on the Gulf Coast are breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL. The Gulf water is a gorgeous blue/green, and the sand is absolutely WHITE, quite different from the Atlantic coast, and these beaches are within easy driving distance from this resort. There is a full service spa in the Holiday Inn Club facility, which allows you to really pamper yourself if you’d like. We saw quite a few people having fun playing tennis on the courts. Panama City Beach offers lots of summertime entertainment like Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, etc. What more could anyone ask for? We recommend this facility. And, BTW…all the locals recommend eating at Hunts Oyster Bar.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom villas have full kitchens.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank GRTMarlinton_WV
HIClubVacations, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Hi there. It is so great to hear from one of our current club members. We are so happy that your vacation was everything that you wanted it to be and more. Visiting our resorts during a slower season is great way to experience more that the resort and surrounding areas have to offer. Isn’t getting the scoop on local dinning from the people who know all about it the best? It is great that you were able to keep up with your active lifestyle all over the property, and with all of that running hopefully you were able to pamper yourself the way to deserved at the Spa. You asked “What more could anyone ask for?” The answer is simple: For us to see you right back here again soon. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed January 4, 2012

Our arrival was smooth, check in smooth and finding room smooth. Room was a 1 bedroom suite and was just the size we were looking for. My husband napes in the afternoons and I like to read. We had a deck overlooking the golf course and it had a table and two chairs.
The room it self needed some updates and repairs. We got by but they should take the off season to handle these repairs for the summer is just a couple months away. Over all I will give them a B+

Room Tip: it is just one building but asking for the top floors is good because the noise of kids can travel...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank debrabjohnson

Hey there, Debra. We here at Holiday Inn Club Vacations at Bay Point Resort want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. As a senior reviewer you must really know your stuff! We are glad that your trip was nothing short of amazing. It sounds like you have some pretty good ideas for ways to relax and just be yourself while you and your husband are on vacation. We are constantly working to update our villas year round, and can’t wait for you to see all of the things that we have in store on your next stay! Thanks again.