“Hard To Believe this is part of the Intercontinental Hotel Group”

Holiday Inn Panama City
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Much would need to change before I stay with this hotel again. The management team leaves much to be desired in problem resolution and the treatment of customers. Make no mistake, your status means nothing here - I am a Platinum Member of the PriorityRewards Program. You would think a premium guest would be treated a little different - but that would be an incorrect assumption.

It has taken almost two months of negotiating through the Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) Guest Relations staff to have taxes removed from my bill because of my federal employee exemption (business travel). Even after presenting a letter of exemption, the management team insisted on other documentation. It is very disappointing to experience this kind of treatment from an IHG property. The hotel Mgmt staff was condescending and abrupt. Sadly, this is after I offered to provide the references from the Florida Department of Revenue site that clearly state I provided the hotel everything they needed to remove the taxes from my bill (federal ID, the letter of exemption, payment with a government credit card -- they knew me from previous stays and gave me the federal government rate). I say sadly because this property is part of a nice chain -- but this is far more than any customer should accept. Their delays have resulted in a delinquent travel voucher - my very first... The hotel & IHG may have grown comfortable accepting this level of performance, but I cannot.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Panama City

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked this hotel thru Priceline's "name your own price". After going over the reviews, we were very disappointed and skeptical, but there was nothing we could do about it. The hotel really needs a makeover, the red bathtub makes an statement, however, the shower is superb! The room was clean, the service was friendly, beds were comfortable. I don't have any complain but wasn't impressed at all. I don't think we'll stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We didnt actually stay at the hotel, we only checked in and left. We have stayed at this hotel a few times over the years and have always had a good experience. We didnt have reservations but called a few minutes before arrival and were given our rate. At check in, the girl at the desk was unfriendly and would not honor the rate we had been given 10 minutes earlier. We were exhausted so we got two rooms for our two families. They were on the first floor in non-smoking rooms. I walked into my room and could immediately smell the faint odor of cigarette smoke covered by air freshener. I could have ignored it because we were so tired but when the other family showed us their room, the smell was awful. The smoke smell literally took your breath! There was no way to stay in that room. We immediately went back to the front desk and checked out. We have always liked this hotel but sorry to say we wont be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

My business put me up here and it is very outdated and in need of upgrading. Not just the rooms but the entire hotel. The rooms have the old style in-wall A/C system that you just have to guess what the temperature is based on the color combo of blue and red. The bathroom showcases a bright, cherry red shower tub that makes you think it was meant to be a honeymoon suite but they forgot the heart-shaped tub. The bed was average and they had a nice, flat-screen tv. The hotel is with-in walking distances of multiple restaurants and shopping areas. The staff was extremely professional and friendly. Based on the outdated hotel and rooms, I would not stay here again if I had other hotel options at a similar price and newer amenities.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed here in June 2011 for a softball tournament. They gave us a great rate and the hospitality was outstanding. The property was great with a 24 hour indoor pool, sauna, steam room, and work-out room. The rooms were just like anywhere else, no better or worse except for the red shower. We will definitley consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 12, 2011

I started to change my mind about staying at this hotel because of all the bad reviews, but it was the day before leaving from Birmingham, AL. My fiancee and friends thought we would check it out and if the bad reviews were true, we would ask for our money back. The day we got there one of their staff was a little rude, but was quickly put in her place. We arrived too early for check in, so we went to the mall, came back at 1:00 p.m. and they let us check in and check in time is at 2:00 p.m. We were really grateful for that. I was nervous to enter the room because of the "bug reviews," so my fiancee went in first, we checked under all the covers and sheets, behind chairs and pictures and didn't see any bugs or roaches. The room and bathroom was very clean and smelled really clean and refreshing. I am a very, very picking person when it comes to cleanliness and I was very impressed. We stayed at this hotel for Spring Break during 3-11-11 to 3-14-11 and it was a GREAT experience. My fiancee and I are going back in July for our anniversary and booked the Honeymoon suite, so thats a BIG PLUS!!! I'm so EXCITED! I recommend this hotel if you want to avoid the traffic from the beaches and want a nice, cozy place to stay! I can't wait until July!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JivondaWard
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I was flying out of Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport and only stayed for one night, but that was enough, shouldn't have stayed for that but it was to late and I was to tired. I chose this hotel because of the bar and restrauant on site.
It started off with a drink from the bar, I ordered a martini and when asked "with olives" I said yes, gladly. The bartender who I'm told has been there for long time, told the trainie to open the gallon of Olives, once opened she reached her whole hand into the jar and pulled out a few olives and speared them onto a toothpick. ah no olives please....
After the bar I went to the restrauant, great no one else was in there.... 35 minutes later, my salad arrives (it was room temp) and wings that didn't taste right , no more than a walk back to the kitchen, my dinner comes out. I ordered a steak which was raw, not pink (med-rare), raw, the potatoe was warm and the zucchini looked like it had been cooked 3 times over. When asked how my food was I picked up my baked potaoe and said it was cold. I didn't eat and they were nice enough not to charge me.
I got to my room and noticed that the bed did not look right....I know when a bed has been slept in, so I pulled the covers back and sure enough it looked like someone had slept in it and made the bed. I called for new sheets and covers...when I was making the bed, in which the person that brought up the sheets, watched me make...as I pulled the sheet off, I saw the mattress pad was ill fitted and filthy, with spots and hair....I took my phone and took pictures of it, and may go to the health dept for this one....
I would not recommend this to anyone nor would I ever return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Comfort Inn And Suites Panama City
Courtyard Panama City
Courtyard Panama City
#5 of 31 in Panama City

Been to Holiday Inn Panama City? Share your experiences!