“Excellent for Budget” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Delaware
“Excellent for Budget”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2009

I stayed at the Sleep inn off US 98 and actually ended up getting more than what I expected. I was visiting family and had a tight budget to keep, and found that the rate was reasonable through the july 4th weekend. It was my first time traveling in years and I forgot that most hotels will hold the funds charged to your room when you check in (charges will be pending until check-out, after check-out withdrawn a few days later). However, that was a learning experience for an inexperienced traveler so heads up to those who are like me! Anyway the hotel is smaller it only has two floors, but something I appreciated wanting to avoid july 4th wild crowd. My room was very clean with a frig, mircrowave, iron and iron-board are provided. Check in was very prompt and staff was pleasant. Continential breakfast is served everyday from 6:30-9:30AM. There is cold and hot cereal available, danishes, etc. A waffel maker is provided, eggs, and susage. I belive the eggs and susage are pre-cooked but I was glad to eliminate one meal to save money. This hotel is not directly on the beach, and I would recommend people not to stay on the beach especially if they don't like noise. Again this was july 4th weekend so there is plenty of noise from the younger crowd. The hotel is in reasonable distance to the beach and other surrounding resturants to sit down and eat. There is an outdoor pool at the hotel, but I just went to the beach instead. The ocean is spectacular at night time and less crowded, or in the early afternoon hours are good also. Expect LOTS of traffic if you leave the beach in the evening hours. I never went to the beach on 4th of July and if anyone expects to be there, expect bummer to bummer traffic. My room also had high speed internet complimentary and a fabulous walk- in shower, The bathroom is a little tight cause the shower takes up most of the room, but i appreciated it. If traveling with young children it is far enough from noise, yet close enough to take them to the beach where there is plenty to do for all ages (ripleys believe it or not, mini-gulf, go karts, arcades, water parks, etc). Sleep inn is nothing REAL fancy but I was impressed for being on a budget. Try it I had a quiet, reasonable stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jigglyDelaware

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Washingon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

On June 13 2009 I stayed in Room #302 for one night at the Sleep Inn & Suites at 9201 Front Beach Road Panama City Beach Florida 32407. The room reservation was made through P-------m. I was billed $120.98 from P-------m. Upon checkout I was charged an additional $96.79 for the room rate. When I noticed the additional charge I contacted the hotel on 20 June 2009. I spoke to an associate “Sherry”. She informed me she would talk to the manager the next morning and call me back. I received no call on the 21st. I called at 10:00 am on the 21st to find out the status of my complaint. Sherry placed me on hold for 10 minutes. I then hung up called back and spoke again to Sherry she informed me that she spoke to the manager and the additional charge would be reversed. On the 22nd I checked my statement and noticed another $96.79 charge. I called again and spoke to Sherry to inform her she had accidentally charged me for another night instead of reversing the charge. She placed me on hold for another 10 minutes to speak to the manager. I hung up called back and she placed me on hold again. I again waited another 10 minutes hung up and called back. This time another associate picked up and I asked to speak directly to the manager. I was then hung up on. I called back spoke to the same associate and informed them that if the manager did not come to the phone I would be contacting the BBB, then small claims court for Panama City Beach. I was then hung up on again. I have also contacted Choice hotels their parent company and filed a formal complaint. There has been no resolution as of the night of the 22nd.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Troy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

I do not recommend the Sleep Inn to anyone. The staff and management charge you for towels and sheets unneccesarily. I disliked the rooms. Our toilet overflowed in the first room we got and the smell of smoke choked me. It is very cheap and nasty. Stay on the strip or somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank NIMSAY7
Tallahassee, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2008

We stayed here for a business trip because of the hotel's proximity to Gulf Coast Community College, it's right across the street. The air conditioning in both my room and a colleague's was nonfunctional. The refrigerator was very loud and when I opened it to turn it down, I found some old boiled peanuts that had been left inside. Yuk! Although I was in a hall with a huge sign that read, "Non-smoking, $100 fine if you are caught smoking", at one point it smelled like someone was smoking right in my room. The room was tiny, no closet, no bathtub, pretty minimal. The television was ancient, had weird color and fuzzy. The coffee served the next morning at the breakfast bar was undrinkable! It was an inexpensive place to stay during spring break season, but I would not stay there again. The staff was pleasant and did offer an excellent dinner suggestion, the Captain's Table, not too far, with wonderful local seafood.

• Liked — Proximity to Gulf Coast Community College.
  • Disliked — The room.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Lindamccat
Atlanta,GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2007

The rates were very reasonable. The rooms were very clean. Love the shower! Head houskeeper was very friendly. They always met our expectations. Front desk staff were kind in giving us directions to restaurants and other locations. Prime location to the beaches and the downtown. I would recommand this hotel to everyone.

• Liked — Ecellent shower
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LoriAtlanta_GA
ALABAMA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2006

We decided on Sleep Inn based on the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. The Sleep Inn was rated #3 in the motel listings, and the reviews were accurate as far as they went….BUT…. none mentioned the fact that the motel sat AT THE TRAFFIC LIGHT, in the “Y”, of two, MAJOR, four lane highways! We did very little sleeping.

If the motel has any quiet rooms at all, they could only be on the front to the right of the lobby; all the other rooms are approximately 20 to 60 feet from one or both of these highways. Judging from the noise, the one that runs along the entire rear of the motel must be a truck route bypass (from hwy 98 to hwy 231).

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Traffic noise!
  • Tips/Secrets — Rooms on front of motel to the right of lobby MAY be quiet (just a guess)
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank JAMESD843
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2006

After searching online for a place to stay while in Panama City we deceided on Sleep Inn. This was largely due in fact to the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. The Sleep Inn was rated #3 in motel listings for Panama City. Our stay there wasn't horrible, about a 3 out of 5, but it wasn't what I expected. The best thing about the motel was it's location. It's near the mall and shopping on 23rd St in Panama City and just a short drive over the bridge from the beaches. The appearance of the motel outside and in was nice, and it appeared to be in good repair. The lobby was pleasant with an elevator right by the front desk. This was the first trip I had booked online and check-in went smoothly. We got there before 3pm, so after driving around a bit we came back and our room was ready. The biggest surprise was the size of our room. I had requested the larger, walk-in shower, which was nice and big. The only problem being, in order for the shower to be larger, it extended into the "living area" of the room. The outer wall of the shower formed a large curved surface that extended into the room. This wall also made entering the room narrow, due to the TV set being placed on the corner of the desk, right as you walk in. We had to actually move the TV on the desk, to keep from knocking it off, bringing suitcases into the room. Also, in requesting the walk-in shower, we gave up having a tub. The "seperate" room that the shower and toilet occupied wasn't seperated by a normal door, but instead by a sliding door that didn't really close very well. That took some getting used to. The room only had 1 suitcase "table" where you could lay your suitcase. It was under the only clothes rack in the room where the larger than average refrigerator (good) and microwave were located. That meant, in order to hang clothes up, they had to hang down on top of the microwave and over your open suitcase. My suitcase was smaller so I used the chair inthe room as a suitcase stand. A folding suitcase stand would be an easy solution to this problem. That left only 1 chair to sit in, the rolling office chair in front of the desk. There was an iron and ironing board in the room, along with a hairdryer and coffee maker. The room was a Smoking room (booked online requesting Non-Smoking, no guarantees) but didn't smell that bad. The room was clean, just a bit cramped for what we paid. Ironically, the night before we checked in, we stayed in a random motel (Qulaity Inn) off of I-30 in Pensacola, that was much bigger, had all the same amenities, and was cheaper. The only problem with the staff we had was that we requested no housekeeping and had to ask for a Do Not Disturb sign at the desk to hang on the door. We prefer the privacy and would just pick up fresh towels every evening on returning to our room. On the third afternoon, we came back to the room to find the Do Not Disturb sign gone and the room had been made up. Abviously a communication problem, but it bothered us because the sign on the door was ignored. Called the desk and was told that the Manager would be informed. All in all the stay was fine. We stayed gone most of the time so the room size wasn't a big issue, just thought that for the price, it should have been bigger. We only took advantage of the Contentental breakfast the last morning and it was about average. It consisted of cereal, pastery, muffins, toast, coffee, but strangely no juice. I would have expected a motel in Fla to serve orange juice. They did have Belgin waffles that you could make yourself. They were easy to make and quite good! All in all, not a bad stay, just not what we expected.
Note: Avoid the crowds on the beach and eat at the restaurants on 23rd St. The motel is at the intersection of 23rd and Hwy 98 and it's just a short 10-15 min drive to a large selection of restaurants on 23rd St. Also, if you want a quiet, local place to go have a drink and relax, check out the No-Name Lounge, ,just about a mile up the road from the motel on the left, just before the bridge leading to the beaches. It's easy to miss so look close! It's small, quiet and they have a large deck out back that looks out over the bay. Very relaxing!

• Stayed June 2006