“OK, but there are better hotels for the money”

Quality Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed November 3, 2010

This is an older hotel that has had some updating.

The rooms open directly to the outside, which can be an advantage.
But the door for our room did not fit tightly, allowing light (and bugs???)
to enter.

The carpet and furniture were newer, but the housekeeping
was not the best. A bottle-top was on the floor next to the bed.

The service at the front desk was good and the people friendly.

All in all, the hotel was OK, but there are better hotels for less money
in Panama City.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed here as an overnighter as I was driving through Florida. Front desk had a bit of an attitude and told me on the phone I could check in early, but then had a problem when I got there half an hour early and gave me the room I didn't ask for. However, they 'nicened' up, and the room was very comfortable. I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank bullseeker
Reviewed May 12, 2010

The staff were very friendly and helpful.
The front desk staff and maids were all very professional.
The rooms are clean but a bit on the small side. They only have double beds; no queens so we had to ask for a roll-a-way bed. The bed arrived with-in minutes of us asking for it though. The pool was clean and large for a hotel pool.
When you ask for a room, get one on the back side of the hotel. You don't even know that you're in a city because its so quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2008

TERRIBLE!!!! First time in Panama City, I guess I should've went further down the road or closer to the beach for a good motel. Comfort Inn was just off of Hwy 231 as we came into town along with a lot of other motels. I chose Comfort Inn because I was only staying two nights and the rate I was given seemed nice ($109/night for double beds/smoking). The person who helped me didn't seem to know what he was doing. I asked what his check out time was and he told me it would be at 11. When I mentioned the hotel across the street was for 12, he told me we could be checked out at 2 PM. It took an hour to get the room ready (very understandable). The rooms were pretty nice, not going to lie. Each bed had 3 pillows and all clean bedding. We had a microwave, mini-fridge. The shower head and shower stall was very nice, as well as the Corian countertops by the sink and the nickel finished fixtures.

We thought we were getting a great deal.... then the problems began. Went to get ice and the ice machine downstairs had an out of order sign on it, which pointed me upstairs only to find it out of order as well (????). Now no ice. Went to the pool which is (by the way VERY deceiving compared to the posted pictures on here). The pool was odd colored and funky looking. I know what a pool is supposed to look like, as my dad is pool certified and has kept them up for several years. This pool was nasty and disgusting. The tiles around the pool were black, as if they hadn't been cleaned in over a year. There was algae and dirt littering the bottom of the pool, as if it hadn't been vacuumed. There was also NO SIGN of chlorine. Usually you can smell the chlorine, or feel it burn your eyes. For those that don't know, chlorine kills the bacteria and germs in the water, without it you can get very ill. I didn't even get in the water, even though I had been looking forward to swimming for a long while. The shower in the corner was broken. The pipe coming from the ground came on but the top half was detached, so it just sprayed water into the air. Pool chairs were white but were very nasty black color. That should be an easy fix. Pressure water and some bleach should do the trick. Then again the chairs can't be that expensive, just replace them.

I also noticed that we were placed in NON-smoking rooms (non smoking signs outside the rooms) even though we specifically requested smoking rooms. Continental breakfast was okay, but they definitely need more waffle makers and more people to help out with it as it was over crowded and took forever to get food. To take the cake, the last day we were there we went to the beach one final time and returned to our room to get ready to pack up and leave only to find out we were locked out of our room. We had both key cards attempting to open the door for several minutes thinking we just weren't doing it right. After becoming frustrated we went to the office only to find out that our check out time on our cards was set incorrectly and they had expired at 11 AM.

Because I feared for the health of other people regarding the pool, I called the health department regarding it. AFTER TESTING THE POOL, THE INSPECTOR FOUND OUT THERE WAS NO CHLORINE AT ALL IN THE POOL. HE RULED THE POOL UNSANITARY BECAUSE OF THIS, BECAUSE OF THE ALGAE GROWING IN IT, AND BECAUSE OF THE BLACK TILES WHICH HAD BEEN NEGLECTED. HE CLOSED DOWN THE POOL COMPLETELY.

I do NOT recommend this hotel and will not EVER stay at a Comfort Inn again.

• Check in / front desk
A_Top_Seller, Manager at Quality Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2008

This guest was upset because there was a family reunion here at the same time and she did not want them in the pool ,common areas or breakfast. Nothing we could do would please her with the exception of kicking out a group of guests that she disliked. There was an issue with the pool that the maint. man was in the process of fixing and did fix. They did call the health department and the pool was not closed down. I have the report on file if you would like to see them. Asllo had the food prep areas and breakfast areas inspected and we exceeded in all areas. It's very easy to rant when you are not held accountable or need proof to back up statements. We wish we could please all guests and we wish there was never a challange but there are at times and all we can do is try our best.

Reviewed January 26, 2007

We stayed at this motel because it was close to Bay hospital were we had both a mother and father. On two seperate visits our room was not made up, Towels were not given. Tissues and Toliet paper were not replaced. At breakfast knives were not available and when requested we were told they were locked in the storage room and no one had a key. After complaint when the room was needed one more night because of relative who was dying we were told none were available. Would not recommend this motel. We stayed down the road at Howard Johnsons and the was a MUCH BETTER value for our money!!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DJRED
A_Top_Seller, Director of Sales at Quality Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2007

There are at times in life challanges that no matter how hard you try you can't overcome, and this was the case with this guest. A lot of the issues addressed in this review was news to us. In fact she also filed a complaint with Choice Hotels and it was proven no further action was necessary other then the discout that was already given. in the spirit of legendary guest service. If this review will affect your decision in staying with us please contact me directly and I will share the file on this guest and you can decide for yourself if it is founded or not. Thank you.

Yours in hospitality,

Kal & staff

Reviewed August 13, 2006

I stay at this hotel at least once or twice a month. I have stayed here for years every time I am in town, be it for business or leisure. Recently this hotel has had some changes in management, all of them have been positive in my eyes. They were the most friendly staff around, but with some new addittions to the team, the place feels even more like my home away from home. The price is great, they remember me as soon as I walk in, the new breakfast is great with waffles and eggs and the best coffee. The rooms are very well taken care of, and the land scaping is beautiful. I would recomend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank treydaway
Reviewed July 30, 2006

We stayed here last year for our family reunion and had a great time. The conference center was great for our parties and the rooms were clean. The kids oved the pool and basketball area. My Uncle passed away and we returned for his funeral. The rates were around 120.00, but they offered a funeral rate of 89.99. Same great service and benefits. This goes to show that they are kind and thoughtful of people in need. We had 3 more family members check out of the Holiday Inn and check in with us because they really could not afford the rates there.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled on business