“Not great, but OK if you're not too particular.”

Buccaneer Beach Motel
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Tuscaloosa, AL
“Not great, but OK if you're not too particular.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2005

This is a somewhat seedy though reasonably clean motel right on St. Andrews Bay between downtown Panama City and the St. Andrews neighborhood. Except for the huge petroleum or chemical storage tanks immediately behind it, the motel is actually in a good location, and the view to the west is beautiful.

The staff are superficially courteous as long as you don't really ask anything of them. I asked to see the room before committing to it, for example, and this seemed to the desk staff like an unreasonable request.

After a couple of minutes of indignant huffing and puffing she did find someone to show me the room, which turned out to be OK. Not great, but OK. A sheet of new carpet had been laid over the old floor without actually meeting the walls or bothering with thresholds, and the old bathroom tile had been painted over. But it was clean enough that I wasn't afraid to undress at night.

Also, the price I was quoted over the phone was $30 lower than the price I was given when I actually arrived. It took some tense negotiation to get down to what we agreed on by phone.

Stay out of the attached bar and restaurant, which is evidently owned by the same folks. Rude does not begin to describe them.

Overall, as a single man I would probably stay here again based just on the location and being relatively clean, I might stay here again. I probably would not take my family.

• Stayed October 2005
4 Thank Rchrd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

We stayed in this motel when traveling for spring break in March. The reception staff were very helpful, management was friendly, the room was clean. We enjoyed the beach very much. My children loved playing in the water and the view from our room was nice. There is a paper mill near the hotel which occasionally omits and odor, but that is of no fault of this establishment. If you are interested in staying with a beachfront view, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, this is an excellent place to stay.

Stayed March 2005
1 Thank Don't_Bill_Me
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2005

my family and i stayed at this quaint little motel just recently after huricane dennis . it is so retro yet rustic . it is located in a beautiful neighborhood , away from anywhere we had ever stayed in the area before .
it sits on a private beach with a breathtaking view of st. andrews bay . the sunsets are beautiful . there is a deck for dinner or cocktails and the pool is in view for watching the children. the pool and grounds are clean and nicely landscaped.
across the street is a sidewalk that goes through one of the most beautiful neighborhoods i've ever seen . antibelium homes with trees layered in spainish moss.
the rooms were very clean and the staff friendly and helpful. we were made to feel welcome as soon as we arrived until our departure . we all hated to go .
from now on there is no beach side for us . we will continue to stay at bayside. we look forward to the relaxing atmosphere , good food in the on site restraunt , and the friendly , make us feel at home staff.
thanks bay side.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2005

I was staying at the Hotel,under an assumed name for a domestic situation. And the staff went out of thier way to make my daughter and myself feel safe and looked out for. The view is lovely .

clermont fl
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2005

Management has turned over and did not report change to corporate. Corporate has lost total control over these privately owned hotels in their chain. This property is a complete dump. It is nothing like the pictures. The bay aka private beach shares its polluted waters with a papermill and another industrial chemical plant in the area.

Please note reservation and cancellation made via ---... hotel called me a no show and charged my credit card because of their employees error in not canceling properly in the computer system. Days inn customer service is taking 7 days to investigate and said they have no authority to require the hotel to refund me even if it is their error.

Manager has not returned phone calls and this hotel and staff are nothing more than crooked theives. Please don't waste your money!

I am a travel agent that will never book any clients at a days inn as a result of the unprofessional way of doing business.

Dear days inn,

I hope the $82.80 that your franchisee stole from me is worth years of lost business to all days inns and their owners. My suggestion is get the owner to change logos they are ruining your days inn name.

Brooke Hondel- Orlando FL

Stayed June 2005
5 Thank orlandomom

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2005

Please stay somewhere else...We stayed at this hotel in March of 2005. The room was very dirty and their was a substantial amount of mold growing in the air conditioning unit. The rooms looked old and run down. Orange water came out of the bath faucets the first day wer were there. The beach access was small and very dirty. Lots of glass and trash. There is some type of plant next to the hotel that was unsightly and smelled badly at times.

We traveled with four children and were nervous about their safety. We saw no security and were confronted by a few drunk truck drivers when going outside in the evenings to get ice, etc.

We did have a small refrigerator and microwave in the room. They also provide cable and local calls which was nice. It was about five minutes from the strip of road with restaurants, etc. We picked the location due to family being close to the hotel.

This is not a family hotel. The pictures did look nice and the king suites at the other side of the hotel were gorgeous with two rooms and their own balcony. If you can afford one of these rooms, it might be a worthwhile stay. Otherwise, I would avoid staying there with family. We will.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2005

We booked online so we did get a special deal but still quite expensive for a Days inn. The first room they gave us, I couldn't even step through the front door as it smelled so badly of two week old pee, when I called down to reception to complain they sent a man up with some air freshener which he sprayed into the carpets. We waited on the balcony for 5mins then re-entered the room which now smelled of a mixture of sweet flowers and pee. We then went down to reception personally and after some arguing they gave us what they called an "upgrade" which at least didn't smell but was to the usual standard of a Days Inn - basic.

• Stayed March 2005