“Blackened Gator was Great! Oysters good.”

Hunt's Oyster Bar & Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 270 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We arrived in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday and were immediately seated. Our waitress was friendly and helpful, a relative - daughter - of the owner. If all I tried was the oysters, would rate the place very good but not great. They only offer plain raw, and several cooked varieties. I had better, but more expensive garnished raw oysters in Apalachicola. However, in addition to oysters, we had peel and eat shrimp, which were appropriately seasoned and very good. The high point of our late lunch was definitely the gator. On our waitress's recommendation, we had it blackened. It was absolutely delicious, and cooked to perfection. A wonderful texture and a great taste. It was not at all like chicken.

If I had to wait 90 minutes, had a crabby waitress and only had raw oysters, I would have had a good value lunch, but I would have wondered what all the fuss was about. With the good service, no wait and options like gator, this was a real treat, a highpoint of our trip.

Reviewed June 3, 2010

I suppose people think it is cool to wait a long time for a "local dive". In reality, the food is ok, the service is ok but it is not worth the wait. We went there the Sunday night before Memorial Day at 6:30 and were rudely told by the night manager that they were closing at 7:00 and not "taking anymore names". There were dozens of people wating so we walked one block up the street to the Captain's Table. There was a wait there too but we went to the bar and were served immediatley. The oysters were huge, cold, and tasty! The service was excellent. Our entree' were delicious and the prices were liveable for a tourist town. On the walk back to the car at 9:30, Hunt's was still open and still serving - after the night manger had run us off.

Thinking we had really missed something, we went back for lunch a couple of days later.The oysters were small but the entree's were ok as was the service but we were gratefull that they had run us off previously and we found the Captain's Table. It is much better all around. We will continue to walk past Hunt's to ge there!

1  Thank Bargemaster
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I've lived in Panama City for 20 yrs. I have always gone to Hunt's ; however, recently it is incredibly crowded with tourists. You proabaly have to wait anywhere from 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to get in at peak time. I went today and was disappointed b/c the okra was incredibly greasy. Several people at the table ate it and didn't like it. When the water gets warmer we don't eat oysters down here. It has been good, but over the last year with all of the tourists that have been going there they can't handle all the overload. I definitely would not recommend during the tourist season

1  Thank LauraHum
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Ate here on advice from our taxi driver on Friday, April 30th during Thunder Beach bike rally. Waited one and half hours to eat; we did have a party of 6. The place is an older, family establishment. The staff was friendly and helpful. Even thought the place was packed, they all had smiles. The food was excellent. The raw oysters were to die for, tasty and fresh. My husband and I split a fried seafood platter which was just as great. Then the Key Lime pie for desert....OMG! Looking back I wished we had eaten there on Saturday and Sunday. We paid 4.95 for a dozen raw then drove on Sunday to Apalachicola. I paid 8.95 for a dozen which were substandard. Even eating next to the dock they weren't as fresh as Hunt's. Well worth the wait.

Reviewed April 19, 2010

I, like many on here tried out Hunts due to Tripadvisor's excellent reviews-PEOPLE, eat at this place!! It's a small kinda "dive'ish" restaurant, all the locals apparently love it, we talked to one local guy, who said he eats here about 2x a week! The seafood is phenomenal! I am too big of a wimp to try the raw oysters but the shrimp are as big as plums!!! I had tuna and shrimp and my mother had the cajun boiled shrimp, I definitely would have traded my moms if she would have let me, lol! So long story, short, excellent "fresh out of the gulf" seafood, wonderful employees, fabulous price, small, local atmosphere, you can have all the "touristy, seafood" restaurants on the beach, I'll be coming back right here!!!