“great local atmosphere and food”

Hunt's Oyster Bar & Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 272 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed January 20, 2014

dont expect anything fancy but if you are looking for great local atmosphere, good food, great service this is the place for you. Really an oyster shack, but it is clean. I had jalapeno oysters. these were outstanding. We also shared shrimp and grouper. I will go back every time I go to panama city. It is crowded so expect a wait,.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,315)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We decided to go to this restaurant for an early supper and arrived about 3:30. There was plenty of seating when we arrived, but the restaurant tables filled up quickly. My husband had the seafood platter and everything was delicious and cooked to perfection. The shrimp platter had lots of very tasty large shrimp and the slaw was delicious. You won't leave feeling hungry as the portions of seafood are very generous.I wanted to find a restaurant that had local seafood and that the prices were reasonable. This is definitely the place and we'll be returning again and again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Forget all the glitzy oyster bars in the fancy hotels or on the tourist strips. This is the real thing. We arrived about 12:30 p.m. on a Monday in the off-season. There was a wait for tables but we were able to seat ourselves at the bar. Lucky we did, too, because there were a couple of employees shucking oysters in front of us. Now, although my wife and I travel a lot and get around to different places, neither of us had ever had a raw oyster before. After striking up a conversation with one of the shuckers, she let on to that omission in our culinary life and he said "well, you're going to have one today." He offered to give us a raw oyster each if we were willing to try it. Well, we couldn't pass that up and he shucked two in front of us, put them on crackers and added a few drops of their sauce. Really good. Amazing. For a novice, raw oysters don't exactly look quite "right" in terms of eating (wasn't it George Carlin who said the same about tomatoes--that they don't look like they're "done" yet?), but once you've tried something that attitude changes. Now, we didn't immediately order up a dozen or more (we'd previously made our order for the blackened grouper sandwich ($10.95) for me and the red snapper sandwich ($10.95) for her). But I believe we'll be back and try a dozen soon. As for the sandwiches, they were both good. The blackened grouper wasn't particularly spicy--just about right. Flaky and moist. Very good. My wife liked the red snapper but it seemed a little more "firm" than the red snapper we've had in the past. But it was still very good she said. The place is small with about 10 chairs at the bar and a dozen or so tables scattered around the rest of the space. Nothing fancy about the place except for the food.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

By going at 11:00 in the morning when they first opened on a Friday, off season, we were able to get right in. Actually the line to get in did not start until about 11:45. We each had two dozen raw oysters which were good but the service was strange. The young man served my husband first and did not bring my oysters until he was almost finished with his. He did the same thing with the second dozen. First time I have even seen a man served first and not the woman. We then split an oyster po' boy which was very good, eight large fried oysters on a nice fresh bun. They had bay oysters and not Apalachicola oysters which I prefer but there is a shortage of this year. Place is a hole in the wall which is cool, however, the noise level is very loud. Four dozen oysters, one fried oyster po' boy and two glasses of very weak ice tea was $52. We'll go back.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We went there three times on our week long trip to PCB. It was fantastic every time. The seafood was fresh and cooked perfectly. Portions were huge! Oysters were excellent. Try the potato bakies. Oh my... they were mouthwatering! Seating is limited.... we went around 2-3pm usually and the wait was minimal!