“Nice Stay”

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Richmond
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

I was in Panama City for a business trip and picked the Hilton Garden Inn. I know what to expect and I was not let down. Clean rooms and a friendly staff. My only complaint is the price was very high for the location.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

At first glance, it looks nice. The lobby was clean and welcoming, the rooms looked nice and spacious, and we were able to partake in the breakfast buffet with rewards points. The halls were quiet all day and night, even though there was a family reunion (lots of kids) taking place in the hotel. I'm glad we stayed out here instead of on the beach.

Our king size bed with a Sleep Number knockoff mattress was broken and didn't work as advertised. We dialed the knobs all the way to firm and back to super soft, and didn't feel a difference. It was too squishy and just uncomfortable! The pillows didn't help, either. I don't know what they were made of, but they lost all support and density after laying on them for awhile. I woke up in the night and my head was basically on the mattress and straining my neck (I'm a side sleeper). We asked for other pillows but all they had were the same crappy ones. So we made do, since we were there for only two nights and there wasn't an obvious solution.

However, the TV and Keurig was a nice touch (served with sealed paper cups). The TV programming is a satellite feed, so no local channels (annoying when you want a weatherman to explain the forecast to you), and you can't watch TV when it's raining (which it did all weekend I was there). I liked the Keurig because it was easy to use, and we were able to get extra pods upon request. And this coffee was better than the stuff served downstairs.

Another perk: they provide Neutrogena shampoos and soaps! Hooray for a name brand that won't make your hair feel like straw or irritate your skin!

The breakfast buffet is one of the worst I've seen at HGI. Not the worst hotel breakfast ever, because I've had some awful ones. At the last HGI I stayed at, they had a full coffee spread, with different milks/mixers, plenty of decaf, a variety of teas, and stevia. The other one also had a CYO omelette bar, tons of fresh fruit, yogurts, pork bacon, sausages, Belgian waffles, and other typical breakfast foods on a really nice spread that was easy to navigate. Made waking up very pleasant!

Conversely, the HGI in PC was super basic and is built around cost savings versus guest experience: you picked your dishes off a plate cart (that should stay in the kitchen), picked from a lukewarm, sorry selection of pre-made eggs (at least they were real and not powdered) with ham and other stuff mixed in, cold biscuits, weird turkey bacon (I like turkey bacon, but theirs was a weird texture and didn't taste good), and previously frozen pancakes and French toast sticks with a vat of fake corn syrup "maple syrup" to pour into plastic cups; they go through the small packs "too fast" on the weekends, so you hands got all sticky pouring syrup from a lip-less carafe not made for a sticky mess. You could get real (pork) bacon upon request from the back, but they would give you a handful of dripping, greasy bacon that, realistically, you wouldn't finish. The staff said they "go through it too fast" if it's out on the main buffet, but handing way too many pieces to each guest is probably almost as wasteful. We heard that "too fast" excuse a lot.

It was obvious they were trying to cut corners any way they could. They didn't have decaf ready, and I always had to ask & wait for it. The regular coffee was also cold (I think the employees made it early for themselves and it got cold by the time the guests came down around 7am), and only had artificial sweeteners and sugar. The second morning, I ordered an egg white omelette from the kitchen (included with the breakfast buffet), and I think it was the smallest omelette I've ever seen. It was maybe 5 inches long, and was about a third the size from a regular omelette. And, it was more like an egg taco than omelette: they cooked the egg and stuffed it with the fillers right before serving, versus the frittata style I prefer.

The saving grace of the breakfast buffet was the fresh fruit. Pineapple, strawberries (whole, and difficult to mix them in for a fruit salad or parfait when you have to eat around the green parts), blueberries, and melons. However, I could tell they reused the previous days's fruit because the pineapple had started to turn brown (still tasted good).

I also have to note that the staff did do everything they could to make our stay better, but a lot of it was out of their control. I don't know who approved their rock-bottom budget for food, but they need to step up their game. If I wasn't there with rewards points, I'd be going somewhere else and buying a better breakfast with my $10. They offered to fix the bed and pillows, but we'd probably have to move rooms to get what we wanted, and it just wasn't worth it.

The staff also weren't good with providing rainy weather entertainment or restaurant recommendations. Look on Yelp or TripAdvisor for more accurate info on where to eat and what to do, especially when it's raining.

Room Tip: Make sure the king size Sleep Number knockoff bed works before committing. And bring your own pillow...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lilly Y
Hampton, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The hotel staff at the Panama City Hilton Garden is does a great job. They food is always excellent and the rooms are well cleaned. Great place to stay for business or with a family and not to far from the beach. Only set back is a train that runs through town but I have stayed here many times and it is rarely an issue.

Chicago, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

This hotel has great staff. Alway friendly and willing to assist with any question or need! My team was here for business and they meet evey need we had. The breakfast staff was quick to get you feed and there were always warm cookies when we got back from a long business day.

Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Rooms were not clean upon our arrival at 4:30. Staff sincerely apologized and offered free breakfast. Pulp plant across the street smells. Traffic terrible. Took 45 minutes to travel 20 miles to dinner. Nine o'clock at night and a very loud boom box type vehicle has been running outside our 2nd floor room for 20 minutes. Front desk said they don't hear it.

Panama City Beach is congested and run down. Certainly won't be back impossible to relax.

Definitely lacks I'm infrastructure.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank lovetogo5
Gulfport, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

From being greeted while entering the building to being wished a safe trip home upon check out, the entire visit was pleasant. The room was clean and comfortable. The meeting facilities were clean and appropriate for the subject matter. The entire facility was very nice and well maintained. I will definitely recommend them in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Very clean and pleasant. Amenties were great and breakfast was quick. Would definetly chose this hotel again. Great Location near everything and easy to get to. The staff was very helpful and knowledgable.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business