“Horrible - worst trip ever”

American Quality Lodge Panama City
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Panama City
Cincinnati, OH
“Horrible - worst trip ever”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

you know the old say you get what you pay for; well that holds true with the value lodge. First off let me say that i was trying to save money as i wasnt going to be spending much of my day at the hotel i would be staying. A friend of mine and my dog drove down to FL for OH to vacation with my family who was camping. I needed a hotel for my dog to stay in part of the day since it would be to hot for him to be out all day. When looking at places online value lodge is vary deceiving. first it tells you its Florida State University, so i thought maybe we could meet some college girls... Well it turns out that it was right by a community college that offered course that transfer to FSU or offered classes by satellite for FSU, so they were able to advertise it as FSU. We first got into our room and the tolite had not been flushed and a light was burned out. We found out from cab drivers that this hotel was notourous for drug deals and crime, and we noticed our neighbors never stayed for more than a night and there were always cops in the parking lot at night. it was so hard to get a cab to take us to front beach road, as none of the cab drivers wanted to come to our hotel. one cab driver even joked, and asked if we wanted to borrow his gun. what i wanted was a cheap hotel so my five pound dog could be out of the sun part of the day, and what i got was a trip where i was afraid to leave him there by himself, because of the shady people that stayed there. our window was plexy glass and could have been knocked out with no sound. our first day a large gentalmen approached us at our door trying to sell us condoms. it was such a joke. it was a very stressful trip and my dog caught fleas from the room. it was the slowest week ever and i was happy that i made it out alive

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank kmw16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
georgia
Reviewed March 24, 2009

The hotel is old but clean and well run and it costs only half as much as the same quality beach hotels. We used the refrigerator and mini stove and felt comfortable and safe. We also enjoyed the pool and picnic area. We would stay again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mlh30307
Holland
Reviewed May 31, 2007

First of all, we did a 3 week roadtrip through the Deep South, so I know where I am talking about.

Stayed here because of the weekend offer of $54,95 for a double bed room and the fact that all other motels on the strip were full for the saturday night. As you might know the proud of Valulodge is decent old fashioned American quality standards. If this is American quality that this motel displays, I pity Americans (no offense ;).

The people were very friendly and I expected a nice overnight stay when I entered the cosy family-like reception area with lots of regional info and a game room, However there is no breakfast, terrible free coffee, worst beds we slept in, lights that don't work and, shower leaking etc.

Stay somewhere else if you can!

Peeks Motel looked nice!

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank WakullaRules

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2006

This has got to be one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in.

The picture on hotels (where I booked the room) is very misleading. The room is definitely overpriced -- the rooms shouldn't be more than $30 per night!!!

The room has that "instittutional brick" for walls. The carpet was VERY NASTY. I wouldn't walk on it without shoes on. There were some very shady looking individuals hanging around the hotel. I didn't interact with the staff much -- so I dont' have an opinion on the staff.

The room charge was $60 per night -- which this is definitely not a $60 per night hotel.

i didn't use the pool either -- too many children -- so I just went to the beach instead. The beach is a nice little hike -- about a 15 minute drive.

The AC was pretty worthless -- and I could hear everything the neighbors were doing. EVERYTHING.

Spend a few more $$$ and rent a room elsewhere. You'll thank me for it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness, location, value
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT STAY HERE!!!
  • Stayed May 2003, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 6, 2006

We stayed at the Valu Lodge for two nights and do not plan on going back. The place is nothing like the pictures. We were in a room on the backside. The first room we had was infested with roaches, they were everywhere. There was no way my children were sleeping there. The room smelled like animal urine. It was horrible. The lady at the desk let us switch to another room. Downstairs from the first one. I t only had one or two roaches at first. The beds were clean. So many people were outside in the parking lot drinking, hanging off the balconies, and saying things to other guest. Not a safe place at all. The police were there off and on all night. When we took our showers, the tub filled up with water. Both sinks had baby roaches crawl out of them when we brushed our teeth. The sinks filled with water as well. Someone brought clean towels but they did this while we were gone and gave us the willy's cause our things were there in the room for the taking.
We couldn't go to the pool cause it was always packed with some very shady looking folks. We didn't get much sleep, people were up all night long. A man from upstairs said alot of the people out there lived there? The game room was not usable. ANd we could not find a laundry room. Oh, our room was $69 a night geeeeeezzzzz.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 19, 2006

My Fiance and I stayed at the Valu-lodge hotel in Panama city Florida during spring break. We stayed for a week at $55 a night.
When we got there the first thing I noticed is that the hotel did not look like the picture. It was much more broken down and had some trash around it. They also didn't accept the coupons that the valu lodge hotel website offers.
Upon entering our hotel a guy was taking a leak off of the balcony and there were a lot of other gross drunk people around (not that this is the hotels fault). Inside the hotel it was a little musty smelling, and wasn't too clean. We had a room with a two burner stove, small refrigerator, microwave, and oven. There were not pots or pans so if you planned to use the kitchen you would have had to bring your own cooking supplies. There were small roaches running around and we probably killed 25 or so the whole week. The bathroom was kind of broken down and every time we took a shower the bath wouldn't drain so we were always standing in about 6 in. of water. We only got new towels once and room service came by only once to give me some new sheets. They never came back to empty the trash or ask us if we needed anything else. A few of the ladies in the office weren't very nice and anytime we would enter the office we weren't greeted or asked how our stay was going. When we left the guy said thanks and that's it, he never asked if we had any problems.
The pros? This hotel was decent enough I guess if you are a spring breaker. My fiance and I didn't spend a whole lot of time in it anyway. At least the sheets smelled and looked clean. It wasn't more than an 8 min drive to the beach. There were plenty of restaurants around and in walking distance. So if you are looking for a place to sleep for cheap, and that's about it, this place will do. It was also fairly quiet in this area considering it was a little away from the huge spring breaker areas.
Cons? Not very clean. I hear roaches are everywhere in Florida anyways, but the bugs were a bit annoying. I wish we would have been closer to the beach maybe. We could have had better room service also. This isn't a safe place for kids or if you are planning on spending quality time in your hotel. There were plenty of shady people lurking around this place.
I would stay here again only if I needed to save a lot of money. If I go back I plan on trying somewhere else even if it's a little more expensive. But it wasn't terrible enough that I would never go back.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member