“Dinner on the water”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Bayou Joe's is a fun little place on the bay. The crabcakes are to die for! The staff is friendly and we enjoyed our visit very much!

1  Thank Trish W

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Great, fresh seafood, wonderful waterside setting, great service (Joyce was a stitch-really made for a great afternoon). Peel and eat shrimp were so fresh and tasty; Crab cake appetizer the best EVER!!!
Came for appetizers and drinks. So good & so much fun that we stayed for dinner. Everything was delicious.

Definitely not the posh, white linen dining, but so-o-o worth the trip!!! Locals love it, too, so you know it's good.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommended by Larry, from Panama City Beach Winery... Soo glad we made the short trip into the historic downtown area to find this awesome hole-in-the-wall, floating right on top of the bayou! Our waitress was extremely friendly and provided stellar service! My meal (fish tacos with jalapeño ranch and mango salsa) by far exceeded all of the touristy, greasy beach food! The local atmosphere was a nice, relaxing change, the view was beautiful, and you can't beat the prices! One of the only restaurants I ate at in PCB that I would definitely go back to!

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were enjoying very good Bayou Omelets when a rain squall came through and blew the flimsy plastic windscreen right off of it's unattached tracks onto our table. We scrambled for shelter, taking our plates with us. Our waitress nonchalantly confided that this happens frequently, but they can't really reattach the tracks properly because the deck is rotten. Once inside I observed the kitchen and food storage areas, and decided that one visit would be our last. It's a nice location, and I like dockside ambiance (we sailed into Panama City Marina and walked to Bayou Joe's), but this place needs serious attention to safety and hygiene.

1  Thank JamuJoe
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I went after dark about 8pm and had a little trouble finding the place after getting in the vicinity, and then after spotting the sign from a couple blocks away spent 10 minutes or so trying to find the entrance. I drove past it twice thinking it was a drive into a vacant lot. In daytime this should not be a problem. If I go again I will take Harrison Ave to get in the area, then 4th St east a block or 2, then south to E 3rd Ct, then look for the Bayou Joe’s sign, which is easily visible, then the crude lane across a stretch of empty lot to the parking area near the walkway entrance. The walkway is rather long but it is a pleasant walk over the bay and ends at an old fashioned brown aluminum storm door.

The special the night I was there was gator ribs, which the charming waitress explained were real gator ribs. I am from the rural Midwest where cow and hog ribs are popular. I don’t care for them and doubt I would have a higher opinion of gator ribs, so I asked her what other seafood (she left it up to me whether to count gator ribs as seafood) they had, especially not fried. She suggested trigger fish, which a friendly lady at the next table said was one of the best fish meals she had ever had. I ordered it with baked potato, grilled green beans, Texas toast, soda, and a fudge brownie with ice cream. The total was $30.39 before tip. If I were doing it again I would skip the brownie and the price would drop by $7.

I did not think it was the best fish I had ever had, but I enjoyed it. The fish was just the right firmness in my opinion. This situation illustrates the challenge to restaurant cooks, as well as those of us reading these reviews. A lady, who was old enough to have eaten a good many fish meals, thought this was one of the best she ever had. 30 minutes later, and 10 feet away, I, who am older, ordered the same fish and think it is good but not especially memorable. There is no reason to believe the cook did anything different, or that the fish was different, probably just difference in the way we sense taste.

The dining area is small and it was close to closing time so the one waitress was handling everything outside the kitchen. Her service was excellent. As others have written, Bayou Joe’s does not just have a view of the bay, it is on it. The bay, or bayou, is all around. And with the small dining area the water is just a few feet away, including underneath. The lighting was darker than I prefer but that makes viewing the bay easier.

1  Thank Billhgc