“Pleasant enough for one meal but not good enough to want to return.”

The Shrimp Boat Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 274 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Sushi, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: For over 65 years, The Shrimp Boat Restaurant has offered casual waterfront dining in Panama City with a reputation for serving the best seafood straight from the local waters. Dine with us for delicious, fresh seafood, and exquisite views of St. Andrews Bay. Our menu is filled with everything from mouthwatering hand-cut steaks to succulent seafood dishes. The Smith family has owned and operated restaurant since our opening in 1950, we have been crafting fine dishes to feed your appetites such as our delectable grouper panama, the bacon wrapped scallops, or the famous shrimp pompano, or the traditional fried seafood platter. Many items are grilled over pecan wood to give each dish a distinct and exciting flavor. We are a family friendly restaurant with a great kid's menu. Shrimp Boat in Historic St. Andrews has more to offer than just amazing food, drinks and top-notch service. It is also home to multiple venues that are sure to be perfect for your next special event. From wedding ceremonies under the old oak tree at "The Point" to a business luncheon overlooking St Andrews Bay in the Palmetto Room, let us help you make your next event a memorable one. Your complete satisfaction is our top priority here at The Shrimp Boat Restaurant. Don't forget to visit Lowe's House of Bourbon for the best live entertainment on the Gulf Coast, located on the 2nd floor of the Shrimp Boat. We also offer Gracie Rae's Bay Front Grill for the best casual food on the bay with great sunsets! And the Salty Hawg Oyster Bar is right next door serving ice cold oysters and cold draft beer daily! All inside the Shrimp Boat Complex! Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to welcome you into our cozy, comfortable, and relaxing environment to enjoy a meal that will create memories and experiences you'll remember for a long time. Visit us today, and you'll see why we are known for serving the best seafood on the Gulf Coast!
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Had dinner at this restaurant while visiting in the area. Expected an upscale meal in this large stylish restaurant, however was disappointed. Sometimes it's the little things that make a difference, first the cutlery was a poor quality, similar to what is used at a 'roadside diner'. I know that the utensils you use to eat the food do not speak to the food quality, presentation, or flavors but it does matter when considering the enjoyment of eating the meal;creating a noticeably inferior dining experience. Regarding the food, I found it barely average. The portion of red snapper was very ample, and flavorful, however the mixed vegetable medley was average and the salad was mostly iceberg lettuce with one olive, one cherry tomato with bits of carrots. The dinner rolls looked sad, I am gluten free so did not eat one but dining companions said they were under done. Frankly, overall nothing barely average meal. Had a much better meal at Capt Anderson's on a previous night for about the same price. Will not return here.

1  Thank Nona4

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Hadn't been to the Shrimp Boat since coming as a little kid w/my parents in the 50s. And it's STILL good. First off, the ambiance is right up my alley. Rustic, sophisticated old world charm with a view. Be sure to read the story of The Gracie Ray on their website, but eat at the Shrimp Boat and leave Gracie to anyone willing to fork out $$ for fried food in a plastic basket. Don't miss the Crab Claws at the Shrimp Boat. Fried, but not greasy and seasoned just right. I really liked the cup of seafood gumbo too even though my mate did not want the pork cooked in it. The "Wood-smoked Grilled Grouper" was awesome! Cooked to perfection and seasoned deliciously. It was served with a wonderful brined baked potato and salad accompanied with hot fresh bread and butter. We ate here 3 nights of the 5 nights on the beach and I can't wait to go back.
Service was exceptional. Our waiter was Will and we'll ask for him next trip. On one occasion the manager chatted at our table and that gave me the opportunity to ask questions concerning sustainability of the fisheries supplying his offerings. He is aware of environmental needs and conversed knowledgeably of what's going on in the waters of the world.

Reviews have been mixed on this site. My experience was a very good each trip and I eat a lot of seafood regularly, so I recommend you give it a try. Until our dinners there, both Saltwater Grill and Firefly were our only top choices. And then there were 3.

1  Thank Simon2007rc
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Went here because it was recommended by a family member. We went around 4:30 on a Sunday and there was no wait and service was very fast. Their roasted oysters were the best oysters I have ever tried. For dinner we order catch of the day and a seafood platter. It was very good but after trying their wood roasted oysters I wish I ordered my seafood prepared that way too. A delicious twist to seafood. I can't remember the name of our waitress but she was very nice, helpful, and fast. The only complain that I have is that I got a gift card for someone and when I got the gift card it was obviously used and very dirty. When I showed it to the waitress she told me she will get me a new one. When she returned it was the same card except this time they cleaned it off... even tho she told me it was new. I don't mind that it was reused but come on at least you guys could clean it up without me having me to say something. I will be returning to shrimp boat next time I'm in PCB and I would recommend trying it!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

As a local, I have eaten at the Shrimp Boat many times and never been disappointed. The food is always wonderful and fresh. Which may explain why it takes a little longer sometimes to get it to the table. I have had slow service, but never bad service and I certainly haven't let it ruin my evening or meal. If you are looking for great food at a fair price there is no place else to go! The Shrimp Boat, Salty Hog and Gracie Rae are definitely my first choice for "where to go" in Panama City for a great meal!

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant saddens me greatly. Here you have this gigantic, gorgeous restaurant that rests beautifully by St. Andrew's Bay, yet the food just can't match the look. AT ALL. (Insert sad music here). Every meal tastes like an over- microwaved Lean Cuisine that's been garnished with fake parsley. Their over priced steak is so tough, it makes chewing tobacco mere child's play! I want this restaurant to work, I really do! But until they get Chef Ramsey, or maybe even a cooking 101 class for their cooks, this restaurant is going to fail miserably.