“Disaster of an Experience - Overpriced”

Angelo & Sons Seafood
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Panacea
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I visited Angelo's on 3.24.13 with my parents and children (7 total). It took at least 10 -15 minutes to get a drink to the table and a full 30 min. to receive an appetizer (calamari and onion rings). We were handed plates and told to take one and pass them down which seemed a bit odd given the prices on the menu (most entrees are $20+). The dirty appetizer plates sat on the table and our drinks stayed empty for at least 20 minutes until I finally asked that they be cleared and the drinks refilled. The entrees took exactly 1 hour from the time they were ordered despite the dining room being relatively empty. When the food arrived, some were satisfied (kids pasta alfredo, popcorn shrimp) and most were not (olive oil pasta is extremely oily...my broiled grouper was a salt lick...my dad's fried grouper was completely lacking in seasoning). We had to ask to get the sides we ordered and to be honest, despite our telling the manager of the experience, she (like our waitress) could have cared less. This was a DISASTER OF AN EXPERIENCE and despite having limited options in Panacea, I will never return with my family, nor will my parents.

2  Thank claudiagary11
There are newer reviews for Angelo & Sons Seafood

Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Visited on a Sunday evening, it was busy but not overcrowded. We had the worst waitress ever! Couldn't remember a thing we asked for even though we asked 5 or 6 times! Only decent item on our plates was the Amberjack. It was delicious! Everything else that went with our meal was horrible. The steamed veggies turned out to be an overcooked can of Veg-All. Hush puppies were way overcooked, cheese grits were like concrete. Definitely way overpriced. May not return unless I hear of things getting a lot better. Not the Angelo's I grew up with.

2  Thank ChiChi133
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was my 5th visit to Angelo's and I arrived to witness a fabulous sunset ovr the bay. The restaurant iis on the second floor and has an elevator for those who don't want to climb the exterior stairs. There is a large dining area with ordinary tables and chairs, nothing special. Some local framed photos on the walls.
I received fine service as a single diner throughout the meal.
The menu is almost totally seafood, but there are ribeye steaks too.
The prices are high and as a previous reviewer mentioned, there are add-ons for certain preparations such as blackening of the main dish, etc.
I chose the stuffed Grouper and didn't care for it much. The grouper was not a good size. It was $25 and stuffed with deviled crab (mushy). I did love the Greek style roasted potatoes and the house salad was nicely varied and served with a bottle of their house dressing.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

We have been eating at Angelo and Sons for at least 30 years. So it is not just a random review but one that has been coming for a long time. We were headed for a relaxing afternoon at the beach and decided to eat lunch on the way. It was with a little hesitation that I agreed to Angelo's as the service has gone down and the prices have gone up. But my husband has fond memories of the place and he has a short memory for things like bad service. There were maybe three other tables seated in the restaurant as they had just opened for the day. We ordered a large meal to share, the Captains Platter, I think it was, with a dinner salad and fries and my husband ordered a greek dinner salad on the side. He asked for no anchovies and no onion. The salads came along with some crackers and butter. My husbands salad had both the onion and the anchovie. The waitress laughed and said "oh, I forgot to pull that off". The salads were obviously left over from the day before. The green pepper ring on the greek salad was soft and the edges were wilted in. The lettuce on both was wilted. Not fresh and crisp as a salad should be. The salad dressing is delicious, but served in a bottle that is meant as an advertisement as well and the top of the bottle and the top were gooped with old dressing. The seafood was tasty, as usual, and served hot which is important with fried seafood and our beverages were filled regularly but the overall experience left me feeling sort of deflated. I just couldn't get over the salads. The atmosphere is nice, but could tables and chairs could use a good scrubbing. And it is pricey! 27.00 for the seafood platter and 6.50 for the greek dinner salad. And the worst part is they were out of the coconut cream pie! Just not consistent and not like the good old days.

4  Thank S M
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We love to go out from Tallahassee to Angelo's. great views... But they are expensive. Everything has a add on price. The food is good but, in my opinion, not great. They are the BIG fish in small pond and they will charge you for that privilege.

2  Thank BSBFlorida