“Outstanding Happy Hour” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blu Mangrove Grill

Blu Mangrove Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Blu Mangrove Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 69 Restaurants in Palmetto
Cuisines: Seafood, American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located in Riviera Dunes Marina, on the beautiful Manatee River, you can have it all at Blu Mangrove Grill. Capture Ambiance with our breathtaking panoramic waterfront views. Indulge in exquisite dishes prepared by our outstanding culinary team. Our dedicated staff are trained to provide you with the highest standard of service and attention to detail. Seafood Lovers will enjoy the many Exotic Seafoods, Raw Bar and hand rolled Sushi...While the Land Lover can choose from a variety of dishes including certified Black Angus Hand Cut Steaks. Come by land or water, dockside boat parking is available! HAPPY HOUR Monday-Friday, Daily Specials, LIVE Music, large outdoor patio dining, indoor dining, indoor and outdoor bar/lounge. Also available for special events with private and semi-private dining rooms. Venue can accommodate up to 300 guests.
University Park, Florida
“Outstanding Happy Hour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

We reside and dock at Riviera Dunes so walking over to the restaurant is VERY convenient. Ownership changed at the beginning of the year and the restaurant/bar is now a destination for tourist and residents.
Happy Hour for drinks are from 1 to 7 daily, with 1/2 off all wine (including bottles) and beer and liquor, too good a deal and too long for many. :-) Appetizers as posted are also 1/2 off from 4-7 and nightly entertainment outside next to the marina.
The new chef takes his job seriously and prep and food is excellent. Service is also very good and the bar staff is outstanding, I only visit that area occasionally. :-)
Only minor negative is the manager is not friendly but he does run an excellent restaurant.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank sib715

Palmetto, Florida
“great atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

this is our third visit we love this place. good staff and food. they have a band on the weekends. varity of meals is very good. starters are lmost meals.

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank gold22fern
Sarasota, FL
“Rocky start turned into fun evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

I made reservations for Mother's Day but when we arrived I was told it would be a 10-15 minute wait. It was almost like they weren't ready for the crowd and were trying to stagger seatings even though they had accepted reservations. We were not the only ones they did this to. There was a woman there (she seemed like a manager) who seemed unfriendly and ill-prepared as she barked orders to younger employees in front on patrons. I began to think I had made a huge mistake until we were seated. Our waiter was friendly, funny and efficient and turned our entire experience around. The food was great and we really ended up having a positive experience.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank merc_78_2000
Detroit, Michigan
“Terrible experience with reservation for birthday gathering”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

Mr. Matthew [--], Owner & General Manager
Blue Mangrove Grill
102 Riviera Dunes Way
Palmetto, FL  34221

On Saturday, April 26, 2014, just over 20 family members and close friends gathered together at Blu Mangrove Grill to celebrate my father's 80th birthday.  Family members flew in from all over the country to attend this special events and several of his friends traveled two hours or more by car from other Florida cities.  Four members of the group are in their late 70's or early 80's, including my aunt who recently had back surgery.

The reservation for our gathering was booked by my father over a month ago.  It was suggested that the group be seated on the patio because the special room at the restaurant was not big enough.  My father readily agreed, subject to two conditions, that the party would be seated at round tables as far away as possible from the stage.  He wanted people to be able to visit with each other and not have conversation made difficult due to the live music.  My parents live nearby the restaurant in Ellenton and were familiar with the normal early evening music and the patio setup.  My stepmom followed up with the restaurant to confirm the seating arrangements.

When we arrived at the restaurant, we were led to the patio area and instructed to sit along a row of picnic tables which were situated directly adjacent to the stage.  The wait staff was busy placing umbrellas in the center of the picnic tables.  Several members of our party immediately spoke with the hostess and explained that the seating arrangement was not what we had been promised and not appropriate for our group.  The hostess left us and went to speak with you about the situation.  When she returned, she delivered the news that you were not willing to change the seating arrangement.

As we grumbled and took our seats, we discovered that we did not have enough place settings for the group size, even though the place settings included inappropriate and extremely uncomfortable placement requiring many of us to straddle two sets of picnic table legs.  The aunt who had back surgery endured a meal in great pain.  Another female member of our group who was wearing a floor length dress had 2 near falls getting in and out of her seat.  My sister-in-law was wearing a beautiful  and brand new pantsuit made out of a fabric that caught on the rough wooden seats.  She had to sit on a napkin in order not to ruin the outfit.

The wait staff seemed put off from the very beginning.  They displayed clear displeasure when we asked for separate bills even though great care was taken to group guests into manageable billing units.  Before the drink order was received, we were hit with cigar smoke.  Several men were smoking cigars while seated at the outdoor bar.  I spoke with both our waiters and told them that this was the last straw.  Either the cigar smokers needed to be moved or we needed to be moved.  We were not willing to spend a large sum of money on a special event and have it spoiled by nasty smoke.  My request was "resolved" by the movement of a fan to blow the smoke in the opposite direction which worked to a degree, but seemed to further alienate the wait staff.  Service was slow and unfriendly.  Several members of our group expressed great frustration at the length of time it took to get their first round of drinks.  Others were offended by attitudes that were displayed when they ordered multiple appetizers rather than entrees.

When we were finished with our meals, I discovered that my parents paid their tab on their own credit card.  The intention of the children was to cover the cost of these meals.  We obviously missed the opportunity to inform the waiters of our plan, but having worked in a restaurant myself, I did not expect any difficulty getting the sale voided and reprocessed using my own credit card.  One of our waiters agreed to ask permission to void the original credit card transaction; however, it was obvious once again that both waiters were annoyed.  You processed the void but refused to even make eye contact.

The next day, when the siblings were gathered together, I discovered that all of us were terribly upset about our experience.  One of my brothers was so upset that he was ready to ask the group to walk out, but didn't know where else to go for a meal.  A family friend who arrived early for the event tried to warn you and the wait staff that the seating arrangement was unacceptable, to no avail.  As we talked together we realized that our greatest disappointment was your failure to acknowledge any of the issues and talk to us directly.  We received no apologies, no discounts, no happy birthday wishes.

My experience with other restaurants and lesser issues is that the manager usually bends over backwards to insure great service and happy customers.  At the very least, we believe we should have been offered a free round of drinks and/or free desserts to our group.  Or the bill for my parents' meals should have been comped when the original credit card transaction was voided.

No member of our group has any desire to return to your establishment and a mini version of this "review" will be posted on all available web-based outlets including Yelp, Trip-Advisor & Local Google Plus.  I cannot imagine being more disappointed with the lack of caring and customer service.  I guess your establishment must be so successful that you can afford to blow off 20+ customers.

I'd love to discuss this matter at length with you.  A huge apology is in order and it would be appropriate to include an offer to compensate us for the lack of courtesy to talk to us face-to-face. Unfortunately, we cannot recreate this 80th birthday event and your staff went a long way to help spoil the experience for all of us.  Shame on you!

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Shirkey_Family
Anna Maria Island, Florida
“Nice Ambiance, Service, and Live Music but.......food was POOR”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014

Went for an evening of live music (BC and The Gang) at a nice location overlooking a beautiful Florida Marina with impressive yachts, and some food and drink. We at the sunset hour. Service was excellent. Music was awesome. However, food and drinks were, in our opinion, below quality for prices. We had the shrimp and grits and a Texas Brisket dinner. As a person who not only has had fish and grits in Charleston and prepare it myself at home, I can say...OMG!! What this chef served was "horrible!!" Who prepares S&G with olive oil? Who uses cheap smoked sausage instead of andoullie? Where was the tasso ham??? NO, NO and NO!!! And it was a $20 entrée. My lady took a few bites and said I just can't eat this.

Next, we shall talk about the "Texas Brisket" While it was quite tender, it was dry, and very bland. We asked about the advertised Jack Daniels BBQ sauce that was to be on it and were told it is marinaded in that sauce but they did not serve it with sauce so we could taste the brisket. Again, NO, NO and NO.

Along with our dinner we had two beers, and two glasses of white zinfidel and the bill including tip was $90..

So, needless to say, we will not be keeping the Blu Mangrove in our GPS as we don't think we will need directions again.

• Visited May 2014