“Excellent mexican food near ellenton outlet mall”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #17 of 72 Restaurants in Palmetto
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 10, 2012

We went from Sarasota but it was worth it and its a couple of miles from the outlet mall. The Texas margarita is out of the world. We didn't like the house one. Food is excellent and huge portions. Fajitas have half portions on the menu which is what I ordered and the qty was the same as regular fajitas elsewhere.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

The food was average and they served me warm tortillas with a small clump of hair inside . Roll the dice on the place if you feel lucky.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We all gathered for Sunday dinner and decided to try El Sombrero based on the 2 previous reviews. We were not disappointed. Food was superb, service was a little bit slow, and decor is quite a show in its own right. While there are a number of good Mexican restaurants in Palmetto, this one deserves to be at the top of the list.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

A local recommended this restaurant when we were passing through the area. I was at first skeptical about how good the food would be since I lived near Baja California Mexico for 30 years (San Diego), and have been to Mexico on several occasions. Anyway I ordered the Guacamole burrito, and was blown away!!! By far the best burrito that I've ever tasted! The homemade avocado/cilantro wet sauce used is apparently a well keep secret, for I practically begged, and they still wouldn't give it to me. :(
SEEK THIS PLACE OUT YOU WON"T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

2  Thank Tamara H
Reviewed July 12, 2011

The Sombrero is in the building where El Mocajates used to be. It is a lot like the old restaurant, but better in most ways. The food taste better. Presentation is better and service is better. The owners of El Mocajates had a break-up. One group moved down the street and reopened under the old name, the other reopened in the old spot with a new name.

I'm a regular. If they had a meal plan, I'd be on it. I have not had a bad dish yet. The guacamole burrito, elchiladas de mole and carne asada are my favorites. Plenty of chips and salsa are served before your meal arrives and the beer is ice cold. Drafts are always two for one.

Some folks won't go here because of the location. It's behind "The Hall", which is a dance club, night club, local concert venue or some such thing. The building is an old 84 Lumber location, and still looks like it, but don't let that put you off. The interior decor is... well the word tacky come to mind. If you can put of with all of this, you will treat yourself to some great mexican food.