“Don't believe what they tell you...........”

Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Palm Harbor
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is probably the first negative review I've ever written. They admitted they overbooked the hotel, and stuffed us like sardines in some teeny tiny room for the first night. It was spring break and it was impossible to find another hotel, and they wouldn't refund our $ anyway. They said they'd give us $75 "resort credit" so we would have to eat in their overpriced crummy restaurants. They said the pools are all heated - only some are. They said there is a free shuttle to the beach, only two miles away - the shuttle goes once a day, and is limited to 8 people. So only 8 people a day in this whole big resort can go to the beach. And it's much longer than 2 miles.
They told us there was a labyrinth but the shuttle driver guy told us they only put it up on special occasions, which wasn't now.
We ran out of hot water mid-way through the shower. We had to switch to another room after our first sardine night, and when we called to find out where the other room was, the clerk couldn't bother to look us up by name. He said we should know our next room! Ridiculous. Every interaction with the front desk was a battle.
We were finally put in the 2 bedroom suite we reserved and paid for in advance, and it was spacious and comfortable, but very old fashioned.
The wi-fi was good. I liked the privacy of the resort and the security gates.
We didn't golf.
The spa was completely booked.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan K
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

We would like to thank you for taking time to comment about your recent visit. Needless to say we wish your experience would have left you writing a completely different review. We pride ourselves on providing the best service to all of our guests and fell short during your visit in many areas. We are typically busy over the spring break time period but our goal is to always provide an environment where our guests can relax and enjoy their visit and not have to worry about anything. We have taken your comments and will work with our staff to ensure that they are always providing the customer service we are known for. We also wish that you had been able to experience the spa and golf and all of our other amenities we have to offer. We sincerely apologize for the experience you had and hope that if your travel plans do have you visiting the area again, you will think about trying us again and be able to experience the type of service we are known for.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Travelled with my husband and adult children. We had two nice sized rooms in Lahinch each with 2 beds and 2 sinks but no mini fridge, microwave oven, or coffeemaker.There was a large laundry room and ice machines in the building but no elevators or vending machines.

Lahinch is quite close to the Loch Ness pool (well kept with plenty of towels and a bar and grill, but no lifeguards) and Osprey clubhouse (tiny convenience store with limited hours and a restaurant/bar). Free parking right outside the building. Transportation around the expansive grounds available 24/7.

Gated entrance, beautiful grounds. Overall, an extremely nice place to stay.

Room Tip: There are no elevators in the building, so ask for a room on the first floor if climbing steps is a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments with others. We are delighted you had a good time. The Lochness area is always a very popular area to stay for our guests, since it is so close to everything. We hope you come back to visit us again soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our family of 3 (mom, dad, and 1-year-old son) stayed for 3.5 days during Spring Training. It was outstanding! Highlights:

Room:
We had a one-bedroom suite. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and well-appointed, and the kitchen met our needs. Good wifi service. We had a parking-lot view, which was actually fine -- there was a nice tree outside our terrace and a fairway with a small water hazard just beyond the parking.

Staff:
Friendly and helpful at every turn. Housekeeping went above and beyond, especially with kitchen cleaning! The one issue we had with our room (water heater with temperature turned too low) was resolved immediately.

Food:
We went to Packard's for some mom-dad time (a relative in town was kind enough to watch the kiddo). The food was quite good -- especially the baked brie and homemade ice cream. The service was top-notch, as with everywhere else at the resort.

Other than that, we cooked our own meals, though we went to the Salamander a few times to enjoy drinks and snacks by the fire pit. We heard great things about breakfast; we'll have to try that next time.

Family-friendly:
I was blown away by how great this resort is for families! Lots of kid-centric activities, and well-behaved kids were welcome everywhere.

First off, we arrived very late (3:30 a.m.) and were treated to "whispering bellhop" service so as not to wake up our son.

The Loch Ness pool had great features and activities for kids, including splash pools, water slides, and what appeared to be an intense castle-building contest. And the Salamander was very inviting to families with children, especially by the fire pits. We heard other parents talk about periodic movie nights -- we didn't have time for any of that. Maybe next time.

Golf:
We came to town for Spring Training and I had no time for golf. I did take a sunset walk through the Innisbrook front nine; the course looked beautiful and challenging. Next time.

Spa:
Wife got a facial; she reports that it was perfect.

Spring Training:
Easy back-road low-traffic access to Brighthouse Field (take Belcher to Old Coachman).

Room Tip: We'll spring for golf course view next time, though really the "parking lot" views are...
1  Thank jacobcwright

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review of your recent visit with others. We appreciate the time you took to share about all our amenities. We pride ourselves on being a place with something to offer everyone in a relaxing environment. We are delighted you and your family had such a great time. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for many years to come.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

First went to Innisbrook in March 2011 but was "weathered" out with 10 inches of rain one day turning the golf courses into a quagmire. Thought I'd try again this year. The reservation process including tee times was excellent but upon arrival efficiency began to falter. In theory the golf bag attendants place a bag tag with your course locations and starting times on your bag so it may be at one of three locations for golf. This did not occur for two days and my friend spent 2 hours with security trying to locate his clubs prior to day three. We were told several times all would be taken care of but it never happened.
Our package included breakfast at the three golf club locations. Usually a buffet which was rather spartan. Order off the menu! Service was spotty.
We stayed in what they call the "Executive Suite" which is advertised as a bedroom with two double beds, a living room with pull out couch and kitchenette. What makes it a separate bedroom is an accordion room divider. Good for two people, clumsy for three. Rooms are dated but clean. Maid service has greatly improved since previous visit.
Four golf courses on campus. The Copperhead is the featured one and is as good as advertised. The Island is an excellent track but was not in as good condition as 2011. The North and South are very playable courses with the North being a more interesting layout.
Not bad, not great, needs some work.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank fredric m

We are delighted you decided to come back after getting “weathered” out on your trip in 2011. We do apologize for not meeting the standards we set for ourselves in providing the best customer service to our guests and making it as easy as possible for them to come stay with us, play our golf courses and let us worry about the details. We seem to have fallen short on that during you and your friends stay. We appreciate the comments regarding our housekeeping service and are glad you noticed an improvement from your previous visit. We are always striving to be better, and through comments from guests we are able to ensure we congratulate when we have successes and are able to correct areas with opportunities. We hope that when your travel plans have you coming back to the area you stay with us again.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Heading down for a wedding, I was initially very worried about staying at a golf resort for an entire week. I don't golf, don't know the first thing of golfing. I had nightmares of golfballs destroying my car and breaking the windows of my suite.

Needless to say, none of that happened. A very late (2 am) check in, I expected to see a bleary eyed unhappy night worker. I was greeted with a smiling, happy staff who not only answered my questions about the extensive layout of the resort, they were happy to give me suggestions in the area as well. Despite the hassles of dealing with a tournament, they always gave me their full attention to answer any question I had.

The room was updated and very comfortable. The kitchen covered my every need. The views were stunning. Their fitness center covered everything that I was looking for. The nature walk on the property was well planned out and a pleasure to meander through and enjoy getting away from the hassles of the world. I also partook in the indaba spa offered by the resort. OH My GOODNESS what a delight!!! I recommend experiencing at least once in your lifetime! The pools were clean and well kept. Not a scrap of litter on the grounds. Staff always smiling, always willing to give you that extra bit of attention that makes your stay amazing. The internet connection was always up and I noticed no slowing or issues, even when moving a large amount of pictures across the net. Not a roach or evidence of bugs at all. Clean, very very clean.

My only complaint was the sheets. Even being high thread count, they don't fit the beds well. The bed was very comfortable, but any shift at all, you'll end up with a wad of sheets pulled free.

Two thumbs up for this place. I would recommend it and if I"m ever in the area again, I will be staying here.

2  Thank Christine C
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

We are delighted that while attending a wedding you were able to stay with us for this special occasion. While we do pride ourselves on our golf courses we do offer something for everyone, even the non golfer. We appreciate you taking the time to point out all the other amenities we have to offer. We are especially proud of our service professionals and we go above and beyond to ensure everyone is having a great time and no matter if you are here for business or pleasure we are able to provide an atmosphere where you can relax and enjoy all we have to offer. We hope that you are in the area again and we look forward to you returning in the future.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I had a very nice 3 night stay at this resort. In many cases, I was very impressed.

The grounds are beautiful and very relaxing. I was there for business so I did not get to take advantage of all that was on offer. My hotel unit was huge and very comfortable. Great bed! I did not care for the decor in my room but other units may look different. I stayed in the Canterbury section with a lovely view of the parking lot. Unfortunately, I was not on the other side which is a beautiful and very active lake. I heard crashing animals in the lake on a walk one night.

I had dinner once in the Clubhouse and it was delicious. Great ribs! I ordered room service the second. Cheeseburger was good, fries cold.

I had a one hour golf lesson with Khow, arranged by Kendra. Wonderful gold pro on site, very nice and helpful.

I found the customer service to be excellent. The bartender/waiter at the Clubhouse Restaurant, was great.

I had one incident that left me with a bad taste. I rented a bike from the clubhouse for 3 days. The bike was ok, not very good. The rate was $36 for 3 days. This is on top of the $20 Resort Fee, which is already charged, per day. I returned the bike on the second day and the gal at the Club said she would notify Front Desk. When I checked out in the morning, I asked for a credit for the 3rd day. The woman at the Front Desk, seemed to not believe my story. She called the Clubhouse while I was standing there and told me that they did not offer a two day bike package, only 1 and 3 days. What bothered me the most was that she was not empowered to give me the credit. Very tacky and left me disappointed, as I left the resort.

I would not stay here again on business. Not enough time to enjoy the activities. I would stay again on leisure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BulldogMatt
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

We are delighted you had such a great time and mention you would return. We do apologize for the experience you had when you checked out. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service and empowering our service professionals to take care of any questions that arise from our guests. It looks like we fell short on that with your experience with the bike rental. We are happy you were able to take advantage of all the activities we do offer here. Our golf staff is wonderful and the restaurants as you mentioned as well always seem to go above and beyond our guest’s expectations. We look forward to your next visit back and make sure to mention a lake view when you make your reservation so you can enjoy the view of Lake Innisbrook from your room.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Innisbrook is for the serious golfer who enjoys good food and a choice of 4 golf courses. Easy to find and comprehensively equipped, the complex offers great golf, a choice of dining options and accommodation in condominiums. It is not a cheap break, so plan your visit carefully. This year we went own the 4 night package coinciding with the Tampa Bay Championship which enabled us to both play (bad) golf and watch ( outstanding) golf. The following advice is worth heeding - ensure you book a condominium with a GOLF view - we had a fine view of a parking lot! Secondly, if you are interested in buying golf apparel, visit the merchandise store for the TBC early on the day AFTER the event when they sell off all the merchandise at half price. Finally, if you want a change of dining, travel 10 minutes to Positanos on Tampa Road for an outstanding Italian meal - they have a genuine pizza oven.

Room Tip: Request a golf view room close to the Osprey clubhouse.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
SalamanderHotelsPR, Manager at Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

We appreciate you taking time to share your comments regarding your recent visit. We love this time of year when the tournament is here and are glad you had an opportunity to experience it. We do have so much to offer and appreciate you letting other guests know to plan ahead of time to be able to experience it all. We are a golfer’s paradise and look forward to welcoming you back very soon to hopefully play some “better” golf.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Harbor
#8 of 98 in Clearwater
Holiday Inn Express Clearwater North/Dunedin
9 mi away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Trinity

Been to Innisbrook, A Salamander Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!