Suncoast Primate Sanctuary Foundation, Inc.
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Palm Harbor
More attraction details
Owner description: The Suncoast Primate Sanctuary is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization home to over 70 animals including Chimpanzees, Orangutans, Monkeys, Reptiles, Tropical Birds, and more! Whether coming to the Sanctuary after being a personal pet or retiring from the laboratory and film industries, the Sanctuary is here to provide these magnificent animals with a safe haven to spend out the rest of theirlives in peace and with dignity.One person can make a difference in an animal, child, or senior's life!
Clearwater, FL
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

It is a neat place to visit and see some cute animals. I was disappointed that you couldn't touch the animals or get very close to many of them but I suppose I understand why (it isn't a zoo -- it is a sanctuary). I chose to look at it like I was donating to a good cause and as a reward I got to see some animals. You can tell the volunteers love being there and the animals looked well cared for. We were out of there within about 2 hours though - for some reason I expected it to take longer.

Visited May 2012

Tarpon Springs, Florida
121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“Okay visit”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a small sanctuary that seems to be clean. It runs along the Pinellas trail and is a good stop on a day's ride.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Banana427
Spring Hill, Florida
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Well worth the money if you have small children or love monkeys”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Groupon had deal 20 bucks 4 people admission. Regular price is $ 10.00 adult $ 5.00 child which is still worth the price. Can't get that close to monkeys anywhere else around, and for the money can't beat it. You can spend 2 hours or so, and they allow you to bring in your own food and drinks which I didn't know. May want to bring some nuts and twizzlers for the Orangutan. You can tell this is no nonprofit place. They did allow the kids to hold a 2 ft alligator. With all the negative post glad I went to see it for myself. I posted a bunch of pictures since there were no pictures uploaded. Some cages are small, but with donation they will be able to buy BIGGER ones!! Overall the animals look HAPPY and lively even in 93 weather. Support this place and show up or donate. If I lived closer I would let my kids volunteer.

Visited July 2012
8 Thank mattspringhill
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Primate Sanctuary”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I'm 65 yrs & live in Dunedin, Clw for 64 yrs. Before making a hateful remark "carolyn" do some homework. Better yet, donate! And, read bookiepoo's remarks as she is 100% correct w/her facts. As a child driving by "Noell's Ark Chimp Farm", or stopping to visit was a huge thrill as a child. Bob & Mae, the original owners were doing what they thought best. And, that was to try to rescue primates. To remember Mae, sitting on the front porch rocking a baby primate to sleep is a memory as a child that I will not forget. No, it may not have been the best arrangement for these primates. But, I never heard anyone else jump in to help until todays organization My children were old enough 30-40 yrs ago to visit Otto. He was in a cage that would make anyone cry. However, being as there were no zoos anywhere near our gulf coast, people work with what they have. When Otto died, I can guarantee you "carolynhaack", that a lot of us old timers shed a tear. He was a dear friend of Bob's and may I say, he was quite a handsome gorilla, too. To ask
you to refrain from repeating your remarks to your friends seems impossible to request. So, go back to your PC and do your research. Do you volunteer for any animal shelter? I can almost say I love our wildlife more than the human species. Why? They cannot speak for themselves & they will still love us unconditionally. As we are all aware, humans can be horribly cruel just because ---------- Keep going Suncoast Primate to continue to love & care for Sanctuary.

Visited July 2011
12 Thank janetwhite430
Tampa, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Safe Haven for the Primates”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I had the opportunity to visit the Suncoast Primate Sanctuary this weekend in Palm Harbor, FL. A Sanctuary is not anything compared to any zoo that you have been to. It is not a fancy place, with all the bells and whistles like animal shows and cotton candy, and all that stuff. That doesn’t mean that it is not good or ideal. There is primary cause with a Sanctuary. It is a haven, a safe spot, a place for animals to be cared for when they are sick, injured, or do not have a home that they can call their own. That is why this place is special.
This place houses around 70 animals in their roadside haven. They have monkeys, apes, chimpanzees, tropical birds, and reptiles. They are housed in cages that are pretty up close and personal where you can see them, yet far enough away. They have their own space to call their own where they have toys, food, drinks, blankets if they are cold, and shade if they are hot. If the animals are able to be together, then they do have a roommate in their cage.
Our most favorite animal was one who loved to monkey around. He would jump on his slide/pool filled with water, then jump to the edge of the cage, and make sounds and splash you with water. Mocha did not like that very much, and he cried about it. Yes, this place allowed dogs, so that was quite nice.
Our second favorite animal was the biggest ape. It made faces to you, stared at you, and just looked like it wanted a hug. Aww.
I enjoyed checking out this place since it was quite different than the rest. You were able to see the animals so very close, and it is also a learning experience. If you are in the area of Palm Harbor or Tarpon Springs, you just may want to stop by.

Visited June 2012