“Excellent Resort, Great Value, will definitely go back!”

Hammock Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Nashville, Tennessee
“Excellent Resort, Great Value, will definitely go back!”
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I know that the reviews on this place have been very mixed, but based on my visit I'm not sure how it could be anything but excellent. Was everything 100% perfect? No. Were there a few things we would like to have seen a little different? Sure. But overall it was a great place, a great value, and I would go back in a heartbeat(in fact we are planning to go back next year). I'll share my good and "bad" views.

First the good. The value that we received for our money was outstanding! We looked at many other resorts in different parts of Florida including Destin, Panama City, Daytona Beach, etc. and this was literally half the cost of the other places with similiar ammenities. I felt like we received outstanding value for our money.

I was impressed with this place from the minute I found their website. A good first impression always helps. Then, when I called to book my reservation I continued to be impressed by the professionalism and friendliness of the staff. Then when we arrived at the resort we were greeted promptly as soon as we pulled in, even though they were very busy with check-ins at the time. When we walked in to our room we were blown away with how nice and large that it was. We had a 3 Bedroom, 3 Bath on the 9th floor. Every room was larger than I had expected and it even had 2 master bedrooms! Two small families or couples could easily share a 3 Bedroom. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly for our entire visit. The free valet parking(included in the resort fee) was great and I loved the cashless, no tipping policy. For example, the first night we went to the store to stock up on groceries for the week. When we pulled back in I asked the valet if I could borrow one of their luggage carts to carry my groceries upstairs. He insisted that he do it, so he loaded up the cart and followed us up. After unloading them, I offered him a tip and he would not take it. Wow!

The resort itself had all of the ammenities that one would want. The pools and waterslide were great. In fact, I don't think their website does justice to how great the pools really are. Again, great service from the entire staff. By 10:00 AM every day they were bringing around water to all of the guests and shortly after they were coming around to take any food or drink orders. I played both golf courses. The Ocean Course was incredible...one of the top 5 courses that I've played anywhere. If you are a golfer, put this course on your must play list. It was very long and tough, but fair. The Conservatory, while nice, was not spectacular. I almost wish that I would have opted for a 2nd round on the Ocean Course rather than playing the Conservatory. Both courses were in excellent condition from tee to green and even had range finders on the driving range.

Now for the not so good...We primarily ate outside of the resort for dinner and had breakfast and lunch in the room most days. We did have one lunch at the pool and one dinner at one of the restaurants. The food was good, not great and not terrible and it was a little pricey. I'm glad that we didn't eat more than two meals there.

The resort definitely lacked nightlife, which is surprising since they host a large number of conferences there and there isn't much else in the area. Loggerheads Lounge was decent, but shutdown very early and only had a couple of beers on draft. I would like to have seen a much larger selection of imported or microbrews on draft, longer hours, and an overall better atmosphere. It could make for a really cool sports bar or even a karaoke bar or something like that. I talked to many others that shared the same sentiments on that.

While the room was great overall and well decorated, etc. there were a few things that could have made it much nicer. For example, we had 4 tv's in our room all of which were 26 to 32 inch large tube style tv's. I had the same TV as in the living room, but I retired it about 10 years ago. It would be nice to have plat panels in every room with at least a 42 inch plasma or LCD in the living room with DVD and surround sound. The appliances, while functional, lacked the upscale features. Simply putting in stainless steel appliances and a stainless side by side refrigerator would go a long way. In other words, some upscale features were present like granite countertops, ceramic tile, etc. but other areas were lacking. Everything functioned great, but to be truly upscale a few updgrades are needed in the rooms.

We also had one problem that never seemed to be resolved while we were there. The fire alarm went off at least 4-5 times. We never got a firm answer as to what the problem was. Each time it went off, everyone had to leave their rooms and wait outside until the fire department came and gave the all clear. The elevators were shutdown and we had to take the stairs down from the 9th floor. The first time it happened was at 10:30 PM and again shortly after 11:00. We were told that night that some kids were pulling the fire alarms. The next day when it happened again, we were told they were testing. Later we were told that the system had a problem and kept setting itself off. Who knows what the real story is, but I'm sure it doesn't happen all the time and it may have very well been out of their control. It freaked my wife and daughter out a little and it was inconvenient, but not a disaster by any means.

While a few things could be tweaked to make it even better, overall it was really excellent and we will definitely go back. Outstanding value, excellent service, very good ammenities...can't ask for much more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I should have know that our experience with the Concierge/Front Desk prior to our even arriving should have been enough to cancel the reservation. Calling 3 times at 8:30 AM on the morning of our check-in brought phones unanswered, disinterested staff and a much needed call to the manager. To his credit, he put us in a very nice one bedroom with an extended balcony on the 9th floor and set us up for early check-in. That was the highlight of our 2-night stay.

Now, the rest of the story...

1) Unknown to me, this resort is extremely kid-friendly. Let's just say that it is overrun with kids. The kids pretty much rule the roost, so to speak. The only areas to escape are the golf course (over-priced at $200/round), spa and fitness center. I was not aware that ths resort was an extension/alternate to Disney World. First piece of advise: if you are a couple looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, steer clear of this place.

2) Rooms are large, clean and well-appointed. Very nice bathrooms with dual sinks, marble tops, large tub and separate shower. Doors slam like crazy and are loud enough to wake the dead. We found that out from the family next door who decided they wanted to try out their door every 3 minutes.

3) TV's in the rooms are dated tubes. Ridiculous... a resort such as this should have flat screen TV's.

4) Resort pool facilities are nice if you use them 1st thing in the day (8 AM). If you go to the pool expecting even 2 lounge chairs at 2 PM, forget it. It's a freaking joke and again, the place is overrun with kids. The place is trashed and the staff is doing everything except keeping it clean and trying to accomodate ALL guests who are looking for somewhere to lay out and relax.

5) PGA Championship was unviewable on Sunday because CBS was not functioning. Neither was ESPN2. Calls to the front desk were met with "Our IT Department is working on it..."

6) Water shut down at the resort on a Monday morning between 6-7:30 AM.

7) The spa entry area is certainly not private. It is a common area backed by the entrance to the parking garage! Classy!! The fitness center is very nice.

Even with the 2 for 1, this place is not worth the price which also includes an additional 20% for taxes/fees. Certainly would never even consider paying rack rate ($300/nt) at this place. Also, do not rent bikes- bring your own. They cost $40/day. I rented 2 bikes for a week in Hilton Head Island for less!

If I wanted a playground I would have gone to the local one down the street from my house. Many lessons learned... will not consider staying here again even if it's for free.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This review is long overdue. I stayed for four nights last August after a wonderful vacation at the Walt Disney World Resort. After having top notch service and friendliness there, it was an adjustment to come to this place. My number one complaint is room cleanliness. When we checked in we saw crumbs on the carpet. This was never cleaned. I emailed the hotel about this, but no response was given. Because of a storm, they brought all the lawn chairs in to the room. I had to get someone to come and remove them from the bedrooms, as I didn't feel it was my responsiblity to do so. The pools are gorgeous, but I don't understand why they aren't accessible after 8pm. The indoor pool is nice, if only someone would be there to provide clean towels periodically. For restaurants, you have to go to the European village. There's a good pizza place there (Mezzaluna?).

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed August 10, 2009

This is my second time going to Ginn Hammock Beach with my wife. We had the luxury of having my sister-in-law watch the kids for three days so we could get away for some peace and quiet. Our first experience last year, at the same time was memorable and exciting. This year, we were greeted by the same warm smile of Alberta, the concierge at the "lodge". She is quite helpful and always pleasant to deal with. Unfortunately we didn't get oceanview room #9, but we got 11 this year. It's almost equally as good. It has a balcony that overlooks the beach, with bottom windows that u can leave open to hear the waves crash all nite long. This year we only spent time on the beach, which is never overcrowded. The staff here cater to all of your needs, and I have yet to find anyone who hasn't satisfied my requests.
The food here is excellent, and service is superb, but be prepared to pay for it. We chose to dine in town a few times, and unfortunately learned only on the last day that there is a Publix within walking distance. We also learned that there is an awesome seafood restaurant nearby, "JT's Seafood Shack". Don't be fooled by the outward appearance, it's awesome, and the service is also great. Take home a bottle of their hot sauce, trust me.
All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Next year I plan to book a suite and bring the kids. I sincerely love this place, and I lucked out this year with a Buy 1 Nite, get 1 Nite free offer. Hopefully they offer the same next year.

1 Thank jimk113
Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was my second stay at Ginn Hammock Beach. The previous stay was a year earlier. While the accommodations are great (which is my #1 priority), staff training and professionalism continues to be a problem and the food is average (except for the sushi). Fitness center is outstanding and of course, the golf. You can eat off grounds at a number of restaurants. You'll note that there is no Yellow Pages in the room, so do your research in advance. There's a great Italian place over the bridge with some other restaurants.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Jacksonvile, FL
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed two nights in the one bedroom resort suite. The rooms are large and well designed. We had a view of the pool area and the beach. Fitness center was state-of-the-art. Pool area was fun for both kids and adults. The pool size hot tub was a nice touch. The room and resort was very clean and the landscaping was well-maintained. Last year we stayed at the Lodge and it provided a more intimate setting and the "main resort" is more family oriented. No complaints though, because the atmosphere was beautiful.

peterborough,ontario
Reviewed August 5, 2009

My family and i stayed here for a week and the only real disappointment was that we booked a 3 bedroom ocean tower suite which we assumed was oceanview. well only some of them are and we had the option of changing to a higher floor with a better view but the decor of the room wasnt as nice so we chose to stay where we were. Not that it was totally disappointing as we didnt spend that much time in the room anyways. Wonderfully decorated and it came with everything ( laundry soap, paper towels etc) which was nice so you didnt have to buy everything if you wanted to cook in the suite. Food at the oceanside pool bar was good and so were the drinks they cater to your every whim whatever you want. We ate at the seaside grille about 3 times and have the best food ever and dana was a superb waitress. Never had an issue getting a reservation and they treated you like royalty. Even poolside service they were always there asking if you needed anything instead of having to chase someone down all the time. The beach are has lots of chairs, towels and even a water cooler. For those who want to cook there is a publix grocery store a minute away, we even walked once and it isnt that far.Weather was beautiful 30 degrees and if it rained it was only for a few minutes. It is a big place but easy to navigate once you know your way around. I have a 2 year old and a 9 year old and both were kept very entertained my 9 year old loved the waterslide and the lazy river while my 2 year old spent most of her time at the pool area which has a sandy beach area with toys for them to play with, another bonus i didnt have to cart all her sand toys around with me. They have great kids menus too even for fussy eaters. All in all i havent one complaint and would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Palm Coast
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!