“Luxury And The Beach”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Jacksonvile, FL
“Luxury And The Beach”
Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed two nights in the one bedroom resort suite. The rooms are large and well designed. We had a view of the pool area and the beach. Fitness center was state-of-the-art. Pool area was fun for both kids and adults. The pool size hot tub was a nice touch. The room and resort was very clean and the landscaping was well-maintained. Last year we stayed at the Lodge and it provided a more intimate setting and the "main resort" is more family oriented. No complaints though, because the atmosphere was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
peterborough,ontario
Reviewed August 5, 2009

My family and i stayed here for a week and the only real disappointment was that we booked a 3 bedroom ocean tower suite which we assumed was oceanview. well only some of them are and we had the option of changing to a higher floor with a better view but the decor of the room wasnt as nice so we chose to stay where we were. Not that it was totally disappointing as we didnt spend that much time in the room anyways. Wonderfully decorated and it came with everything ( laundry soap, paper towels etc) which was nice so you didnt have to buy everything if you wanted to cook in the suite. Food at the oceanside pool bar was good and so were the drinks they cater to your every whim whatever you want. We ate at the seaside grille about 3 times and have the best food ever and dana was a superb waitress. Never had an issue getting a reservation and they treated you like royalty. Even poolside service they were always there asking if you needed anything instead of having to chase someone down all the time. The beach are has lots of chairs, towels and even a water cooler. For those who want to cook there is a publix grocery store a minute away, we even walked once and it isnt that far.Weather was beautiful 30 degrees and if it rained it was only for a few minutes. It is a big place but easy to navigate once you know your way around. I have a 2 year old and a 9 year old and both were kept very entertained my 9 year old loved the waterslide and the lazy river while my 2 year old spent most of her time at the pool area which has a sandy beach area with toys for them to play with, another bonus i didnt have to cart all her sand toys around with me. They have great kids menus too even for fussy eaters. All in all i havent one complaint and would love to go back.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We had a great time at Hammock Beach Resort and will definitely return. We were there from July 11-17th, 2009. As a family of 5 (2 adults, 10 yr, 9 yr and 1 yr old) we decided to get a 3 bedroom villa located just behind the resort (villa #5, 4th floor). It was well stocked with necessities, had a pretty good view from the balcony and was decently furnished. We asked to see a room in the main resort and it was so much nicer though (furnishings and views). If you can, try to stay in the resort or towers. If you decide to stay in the villas, ask for one close to the resort which is closer to the pools and beach. Its still quite a walk so bring something to haul your stuff around, we used our stroller. They provide chairs, umbrellas, towels and cold water at the all the areas. The pools were so wonderful with kids crafts and games located nearby. Waitresses roamed the pool areas serving pretty good food and many colorful frozen drinks. We were at the pool for several hours a day.

We spent several hours at the fantastic beach each day as well. The waves are perfect for boogie boarding and the beaches sparkle with cinnamon colored shells. If you look hard enough you can find small sharks teeth. We found over 2 dozen! There is no beverage/food service at the beach, but chairs, umbrellas, towels and cold water are available. We took regular evening strolls looking for shells and treasures.

We ate at the 2 main restaurants (Seaside and Atlantic) on site but cooked in the villa most nights. A Publix grocery store is located just up the street. The restaurants were upscale and not really made for kids, which was kind of funny since the rest of the resort is really geared for it. But they were both very accommodating. The food at both places was great and they did offer kids meals, but be prepared to pay $$. As a cashless resort, they automatically tack on service charges. We ate more at the pool side grille since that is usually where we were for lunch. But after a long day of sun and play, eating in room at night was fine with everyone.

The kids club room has a lot of great arts and crafts projects (both free and pay), games and toys. The girls who ran the projects were super nice and when they did crafts at the pool, they were very patient and friendly.

We loved the twisty slide which we rode a gazillion times and never seemed to get tired of. We also had a great time in the lazy river. The beach pool (with sand) was a bit hot and didn't have as much shade but was a nice and close substitute for a trek out to the beach.
I would definitely recommend Hammock Beach Resort for families and we plan a return trip.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We planned a relaxing getaway to Palm Coast and that is exactly what we got. We booked at the Lodge but when we got there there were only rooms with 2 queens so we were upgraded to a room in the main building which was a fabulous oceanfront one bedroom suite! The room was very clean and spacious with a gorgeous view. There is plenty to do for couples or families! The service is exceptional and we loved just carrying the room key to pay for everything. Would go back again and again!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I have mixed feelings when it comes to this resort. To start off, the resort didn't give me the best first impression due to the following incident. On the day we were supposed to check in the resort called to tell me that the 3 bedroom villa I had reserved about 2 months prior was no longer available and that they would have to move me to a neighboring resort about 10 min away, not at all on the ocean!
I was quite mad about this as you can imagine. The first reason they gave was because most of the villas are owned and they said some of the owners had extended their stay and they couldn't just kick the owners out of their own condos!
The guy said something about 10 min later about being overbooked so I think this was the REAL reason and the owner thing was just an excuse.
After arguing back and forth about the unfairness of this, he finally found me a two bedroom condo about 4 min down the road at the Yacht Harbor, one of their properties.
My party consisted of 6 adults and 7 kids, so a two bedroom was really ridiculous!!!
To make this change up to us the resort offered to give us 50% off every night we were there. That helped a little but not much, since we thought we were going to have to get in the car and drive everytime we wanted to go to the resort for the pool complex and beach.
Bottom line: The reservation thing ended up to work out O.K. because a 3 bedroom unit opened up the very next day and we were able to move over. Still a hassle since we had to pack up everything AGAIN and move to a new condo. At least it made our trip 50% cheaper!
So here are some of my pros and cons I thought about the Hammock Beach Resort:
PROS:
Condos are nice- of the two condos we stayed in they were nicely decorated and clean and for the most part pretty spacious.
Pool Complex- The pool complex was the best part. With 3 pools, a lazy river, and a slide. My kids loved it!
About 30 min from St. Augustine, which is fun little day trip.
CONS:
Reliablity- I would be hesitant about staying here again because I would always worry that my reservation would not be honored like I would expect!
Beach- I have lived in Florida a long time and this is one of the more uglier beaches I have been too. There were barely any waves, almost like a lake and the sand was very dark colored and shelly. Almost more crushed shells than sand. The water was dark colored and not pretty blue and clear like I usually like. I really did not care for this beach at all! If you want a gorgeous beach go to Destin/Ft. Walton area up in the panhandle of Florida!! Beautiful water and white powder sand!!
Upkeep: The landscaping was nice and it is not like this hotel is a dump by any means. It is a nice hotel, but for a supposed 4 diamond resort, I would expect it to be a little cleaner. There were some areas around the pool that looked like they needed to be pressure washed and cleaned. A lot of the lounge chairs looked like they need to be cleaned or replaced. The landscaping was very well manicured and nice though.
Food and drinks in the pool area: You are not allowed to bring outside food or drinks into the pool complex area. The first day we brought a cooler and they wouldn't let us bring it in. I was annoyed by this. They do provide water in a cooler with plastic cups that you can fill up by all the pools.
OVERALL: I don't know if this resort is worth it for just having a fun nice pool complex because honestly that is about all it has going for it in my opinion. If I am going on a beach vacation I want to like the beach and this beach was ugly! Also I didn't like the whole switching of reservations on me at the last min. I think I will just head up to Destin next time!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2009

Stayed at Hammock Beach from June 30-July 6 with my family to celebrate the 4th of July. This is now the 3rd year in a row that we have stayed here for the 4th and we were once again generally satisfied with our stay.

Stayed in Room 1005 for the first two nights (3br/3ba) and was very happy with the layout and furnishings. Moved to 1006 for the last 4 nights and enjoyed a better view but the layour really didn't work for the 4 small children. The common area (Living/Dining Area) was rather narrow and overcrowded with furniture.

We ate at the restaurants twice and were very satisfied with the service and food quality. Loggerhead's Lounge was relatively empty even over the Holiday Weekend. Suprising! However, the pool bar was hopping all week long. We cooked in the room most of our meals for the sake of the kids and the kitchens in both units were very easy to deal with and were both well stocked.

My Dad, Brother and I fished offshore with Captain Jason from Redline Charters. He was awesome! Great flats boat and he was on the fish. We took 4 Kingfish (about 50-60 pounds total) home and Captain Jason fileted them for us. JT's Seafood Shack in Hammock has an agreement with the fishing charters. Bring your fish in and they will cook it for you, plate it and give you sides for $5 per person. What a deal and they did a great job of blackening the fish.

The resort is beginning to show its age. There is water damage to the ceilings under the balconies in some units, near the beachside elevators on the tenth floor, the pool tiles are all cracked near the waterfall in the kids pool, many pavers are cracked, etc. There is lots of mildew in the pool areas. Not a big deal for Florida in the summer but not what I had noticed during previous stays.

There were no fireworks at the resort this year. We found this out at check-in and called friends who also were staying at the resort over the weekend and they brought their own. In fact, the beach was a pyro's dream during the evening of the 4th though I imagine the hotel wasn't pleased with guests shooting fireworks over other guests heads all night long.

We will definitely return next year and I hope the resort polishes the common areas a bit. We plan to stay over the 4th again and hope for fireworks as well. The staff are great and they always smile and I would return for the service alone.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BigBlueiFlorida
Ohio
Reviewed July 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights over the 4th of July weekend (only because most of the hotels in the area required a 4 night stay, which we could not do) The resort is very nice, very large, and our room was nice. It is a cashless resort, which means upon your arrival, your keycard is like your credit card basically, if you want to eat at one of their restaurants or lounge, got to their gift shop, or whatever you choose, everything is billed to the room, tips and all, and it is settled when you check out. We found the food to be quite expensive and nothing really on the menu we would have liked anyway, so we ended up eating out for the 2 days we were there. Also, if you plan on eating at the restaurants you have to make a reservation in advance. They will also tell you there is not dress code, but upon our check in, my husband was told if we were eating on the grounds he would need to wear a shirt with a collar. But going on, everytime you leave the resort and return you have to pay the $2.00 toll upon re-entering the grounds. The beach is not what you would expect, the sand is not like regular sand, it looked like crushed up seashells and maybe rocks, not sure, and it did have rocks toward the shoreline, so be careful if you step on them because they hurt. The only complaints really is one.. the parking, you can choose to have valet park your car, and pay their tips at the end, or use the self guest parking on the first floor. We chose to park our car ourselves and that parking area is not very big, during the day for whatever reason the garage was packed, and of course nowhere to park. All of the other parking areas were for bosses, reserved, or for visitors, or residents. We had to end up parking in the residents spot and were hoping we didnt get in trouble, which we didnt. And two... the biggest thing that bothered us the most were the attitudes of some of the people there, they acted like they were all high and mighty, and it did make us feel uncomfortable, so because of that reason alone, even as nice as it was, we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Ascend Collection Castillo Real
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Holiday Inn Express Palm Coast

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!