“Some problems with the Ginn Hammock Beach”

Hammock Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Reviewed August 7, 2008

My family stayed here 2 years ago and we were much happier with the resort then, despite the construction that was going on.

Check-in takes place at one of several concierge desks in the lobby. Our room was not ready at 4 p.m., the stated check-in, but at about 4:45 p.m. Since there were 5 of us, we had reserved a 2 BR suite and were told upon arrival that there are no 2 BR suites in the main hotel - only 1 BR and 3 BRs. In addition, there are apparently no 2 BR suites in the villas that are closest to the hotel - again only 1 BR and 3 BRs.

The concierge said the only 2 BRs were in the villa the furthest away from the hotel and that there was no place to drive and park near to the hotel but that the bellmen would take us back and forth to the villa in a golf cart if we requested this. For the record, we called 3 times from our room for a golf cart ride and never got one. In addition, we twice requested a ride from the hotel lobby back to the villa and were told that they were "too busy" to take us to the villa at those times.

So my advice: skip the 2 BR suites. It's a 10 minute walk (slightly uphill) to the hotel and 15 minutes to the beach & pool under that hot sun. Try to stay in the main hotel.

The suite was huge and nicely (if darkly) furnished. There were 2 seperate bedrooms (one master suite with 1Q , and another bedroom with 2Q). The 2nd bathroom was in the hall. The beds were a little hard, but not too bad, with ceiling fans in each bedroom

There was a very large living room/dining room/ kitchen combined room. The furniture was oddly very large, oversized - even the dining room table and chairs. Combined with the fact that the suite did not get much light, it made for a dark interior, but we just kept the lights on during the day and that worked fine.

The full kitchen was wonderful - full sized refrigerator, oven, stove-top, microwave and coffee maker, as well as a double sink and dishwasher. To our surprise in the hallway there was a washer & dryer. The resort included a one-load starter for the washing machine, automatic dish detergent and dish soap for hand-washing.

The view in this building is terrible, even being on the 3rd floor. We overlooked a road and there was no hope of seeing the ocean even on the higher floors. We would sit on the large outdoor balcony and sometimes had trouble hearing each other as larger cars or trucks passed by.

I remember that bike rentals were free last time we stayed at this resort. Not any more. Now they charge $10 for 2 hours per bike. If you want to play putt-putt on the resort's course, the cost is $5 per person. If you want to take a fitness class, the cost is $10 per class. That didn't strike us as typical of an upscale resort. None of us were impressed with this visit.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hammock Beach Resort

Reviewed August 6, 2008

I would like everyone to know what a horrific experience we had at the end of our recent stay 7/28-8/1.

Let me get the positives out of the way--kids will love the pool. Adults will hate the "adult" pool because of all the kids in it. Poolside service was good. The landscaping was beautiful. Room set ups in the three bedroom units were great and the kitchens were well stocked. The Atlantic Grille was the better of the dining experiences.

Okay now, the bad:

On the last full day of our stay, we received no maid service. We were gone from our room 10:00 am to approximately 6:00 pm. I reported the lack of room service to the concierge at this time. I was told that the room would be cleaned during turn down service. We proceeded to go to dinner at the Seaside Grille. Four dinners needed to be returned because they were cold and one of our party waited 15 minutes to receive their dinner after everyone had been served. We were with another family and both accounts were charged for the entire amount!!

Following this poor meal, we returned to find that our room had still not been cleaned. I called the concierge again! Someone did arrive in a short amount of time and proceeded to "tell off" my daughter and then went through the same tirade to me as to how "this wasn't her job," "I'm turn down service," "What do you want? You want me to clean the kitchen and bathrooms?--This is not my job".

Then, the next morning, both myself and the other party went to check out. Both bills were completely WRONG!! The double billing for dinner was still on both accounts and the charges on the bill didn't even add correctly!! After spending an hour to hand calculate the bills by 4 different people--everyone was in agreement that the bills didn't tablulate correctly--we got a hand written number at the bottom of our bill and were asked to pay with no explanation as to why their billing system wasn't adding correctly, and why they couldn't fix the addition errors!!

Lastly, the resort is listed on the American Express preferred list. A copy of this book is provided in the rooms outlining the benefits of being on this list. Some of these benefits include: early and late check out when available, upgraded rooms when available, complimentary breakfast or a bottle of wine. When these were requested, NONE of the staff had ever heard of this. We called American Express thinking we had made an error. They replied that yes the property was indeed on the list and they would be reporting it. Where that has gone, I'm not sure.

I've stayed at many "quality" resorts. This was a service and accounting nightmare!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank meddesign
Reviewed August 6, 2008

our visit was awesome! we visited easter break and it was 70 ish but that was fine because of the huge hot tub and heated activity pool. we had a three bedroom suite. it is an awesome hotel.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed August 1, 2008

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which wasn't a suite as such but a very large hotel room with a sitting area. One of the nicest room we've every stayed in, and we've traveled to nice hotels and resorts around the world. Excellent location a few steps from the beach. The resort sits alone on a long stretch of beach. Not at all like the wall-to-wall hotels of Daytona or Virginia Beach. Our only complaint was the housekeeping. Some days it was excellent. Other days not so much. One nice feature was the "no-tipping" policy. Gratuities are built into the room rate, which makes their valet parking seem like a little luxury instead of yet another opportunity to give a tip. Wonderful pool complex has water slides for kids, a separate sand-bottomed pool and a quiet pool for the grownups. We took day trips to St. Augustine (great for history buffs) and Daytona (fine if you're looking for some night life).

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I went to this resort as part of a business meeting. I read the reviews and did not have high expectations. However, when I got there, I was very impressed. The service from the valet to the checkin was very good. The grounds were very nice, the fitness facility was way above average, even for a resort. My room was very spacious, although I was just in NYC last week so maybe I was subconsciously comparing the two. My room had a great view of the ocean, a balcony and was very clean. It had a dvd player, kitchenette, and a nicely equipped marble bathroom. I would compare my experience to that of the ritz resort in orlando but with a better view, nicer location, and less than half the price. On a sidenote, the guy at the gate would not let me in until they confirmed I had a reservation. That has been consistent with a lot of other reviewers (although he was pleasant to me...must have been a different guy). I didn't eat any meals there so I can't comment on that but when someone goes to a resort, they should expect to pay a premium.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Ginn was a great resort with special attention to details. The concierge program they have there is excellent and any time we had a need it was always addressed. From the time you walk into the front door this place is all about service. If you have kids they will love the water slides and the kids club. My kids didn't want to leave the kids club. The on site restaurants were pricy for dinner. See my reviews of other off site locations to eat. The food by the pool was offered at a fair price and of course the service by the pool was great. If you plan on going to the beach it is a little walk. Bring your own cooler since there is no beach side service. Overall great place at an affordable price.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2008

I booked a one week family vacation expecting a 5 star resort [as was advertised] & was very dissapointed. There were not enough beach chairs or umbrellas available, & it was not crowded. When an umbrella was found you had to place it yourself [no cabana service]. There were no drinks or snacks offered on the beach. Room service was a joke the coffee maker was cleaned only after I complained about it. The television had no pay per view or video games, & the television was a 13 inch screen. The resort is very beautiful & the view from the 9th floor was nice but I was paying $597 per night [not including taxes & resort fees] , for that kind of money one would expect better service. I had to call on a daily basis to have my U.S.A. today newspaper delieverd [this was to have been included]. I could go on & on but you get the picture. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING CLASSIFIED AS A 5 STAR RESORT.

Stayed: July 2008
Red Roof Inn Palm Coast
#1 of 11 in Palm Coast
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Coast I-95
Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!