“Great resort in a great location”

Hammock Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Reviewed August 1, 2008

We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which wasn't a suite as such but a very large hotel room with a sitting area. One of the nicest room we've every stayed in, and we've traveled to nice hotels and resorts around the world. Excellent location a few steps from the beach. The resort sits alone on a long stretch of beach. Not at all like the wall-to-wall hotels of Daytona or Virginia Beach. Our only complaint was the housekeeping. Some days it was excellent. Other days not so much. One nice feature was the "no-tipping" policy. Gratuities are built into the room rate, which makes their valet parking seem like a little luxury instead of yet another opportunity to give a tip. Wonderful pool complex has water slides for kids, a separate sand-bottomed pool and a quiet pool for the grownups. We took day trips to St. Augustine (great for history buffs) and Daytona (fine if you're looking for some night life).

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

Reviewed July 30, 2008

I went to this resort as part of a business meeting. I read the reviews and did not have high expectations. However, when I got there, I was very impressed. The service from the valet to the checkin was very good. The grounds were very nice, the fitness facility was way above average, even for a resort. My room was very spacious, although I was just in NYC last week so maybe I was subconsciously comparing the two. My room had a great view of the ocean, a balcony and was very clean. It had a dvd player, kitchenette, and a nicely equipped marble bathroom. I would compare my experience to that of the ritz resort in orlando but with a better view, nicer location, and less than half the price. On a sidenote, the guy at the gate would not let me in until they confirmed I had a reservation. That has been consistent with a lot of other reviewers (although he was pleasant to me...must have been a different guy). I didn't eat any meals there so I can't comment on that but when someone goes to a resort, they should expect to pay a premium.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2008

Ginn was a great resort with special attention to details. The concierge program they have there is excellent and any time we had a need it was always addressed. From the time you walk into the front door this place is all about service. If you have kids they will love the water slides and the kids club. My kids didn't want to leave the kids club. The on site restaurants were pricy for dinner. See my reviews of other off site locations to eat. The food by the pool was offered at a fair price and of course the service by the pool was great. If you plan on going to the beach it is a little walk. Bring your own cooler since there is no beach side service. Overall great place at an affordable price.

Reviewed July 29, 2008

I booked a one week family vacation expecting a 5 star resort [as was advertised] & was very dissapointed. There were not enough beach chairs or umbrellas available, & it was not crowded. When an umbrella was found you had to place it yourself [no cabana service]. There were no drinks or snacks offered on the beach. Room service was a joke the coffee maker was cleaned only after I complained about it. The television had no pay per view or video games, & the television was a 13 inch screen. The resort is very beautiful & the view from the 9th floor was nice but I was paying $597 per night [not including taxes & resort fees] , for that kind of money one would expect better service. I had to call on a daily basis to have my U.S.A. today newspaper delieverd [this was to have been included]. I could go on & on but you get the picture. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING CLASSIFIED AS A 5 STAR RESORT.

Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 29, 2008

The grounds, property and rooms were beautiful --definitely at 5 star level (Ritz Carlton level) --but the service was not. We stayed in a 3 bath, 3 bedroom in the main building. We arrived before 2 and check in was at 4 so we knew we might have to wait. They told us an attendant was in our room at 2. When our room was still not ready at 4:45 and they just said that they didn't know what was going on as the attendent has been in there a while --they offered no other information, I asked to speak to a manager who told me that it would be about another hour to an hour and a half. In the end, he said they could move us down the beach and comp the night or we could wait for our room there and they would comp the night. It was more than I expected so I was happy and said we would wait. I confirmed twice that they were comping the night. --The room was "ready" at 5:00. We went to it and it was beautiful -- there was some old cereal on the table, bread on the carpet and the sliding glass doors were not cleaned --small child's fingerprints. --But otherwise, it was clean. --When we wanted a car, we waited a half hour. When we called to check out, we waited over an hour. The man at the gate in the evening was very rude --yelling at my husband for driving to the right side gate. He yelled that it was for owners and when my husband said they should have a sign, he yelled that a sign wasn't necessary and that it was obvious --we drove away and he was still ranting. We go to many hotels and you can usually access the right side with your room key. --Otherwise, everyone was very polite and courteous, just slow or very slow. If you didn't let them clean your room when they arrived --10a.m. for us --and asked them to come back later because people were sleeping --they never came back to clean. Restaurants were very good. Not enough beach chairs and pool was very crowded so no chairs to be found there. --Need to get out there very early. People were saving beach chairs and not coming back. --Beach was very private and there was lots of room to lie on the beach on the towels they provided.

Pools close at dusk. There is a bar open in the late eve but no other entertainment of any type --which is very sad. They have beautiful facilities and could have some activities ---they may think they are too "upscale"? But I have stayed in several Ritz Carlton's that had campfires and pool activities in the evenings for families and others. This would be particularly good here since it is in a remote area with not much around.

When we checked out, we were not comped a night --about 42% of a night. When I asked about this, they said the note was half a night. --Honestly, I would have been happy with that --but to tell me they would comp a night and then just change it was poor service. ---They corrected the math to 50%.

I would recommend this location for anyone looking for a very quiet get away in a beautiful location ---if they have a lot of patience for waiting and get up early to get chairs. Rooms in the main building were beautiful --top quality. Lobby and grounds are beautiful. ---They have so much potential if they could get their act together with the service and add some evening activities.

Cosmetically, this place had all I would want in a vacation location--but it lacked personality and warmth. --I might give it another try as I hope that they will get the kinks worked out of the service issues.

Reviewed July 27, 2008

we have just returned from a long weekend at Hammock Beach. A girlfriend and i brought our kids over from tampa (ages 4, 7, 9, 13) - with our husbands coming over on friday. I WOULD NEVER GO BACK. i have vacationed at many nice beach resorts and this one was the worst.

little things in the beginning were overlooked...not enough towels, dirty porch, lack of view. the resort is very large and concrete with a great distance in between the buildings. we stayed in a villa - it was not what i expected. the 3br/2b was a bit on the small side, the mb was large, the other two were quite small. from the dirty and small porch you could see the ocean in the horizon. there were no waves to be heard from our condo (not a "villa"). this is not a convenient place to stay with children. our villa also had a septic type pump nearby....which was the pleasant odor that greated us when we left our room.

the kids loved the pool area. i found it to be slightly cramped (considering everything else is spread out) and the lazy river is misrepresented. it is nowhere near as large as it looks in the pictures - but it was relaxing. we had difficulty finding two chairs around the pool and on more than one occassion had to pile everything on one chair and stay in the water.

the beach was beautiful. there are large rocks in the water so be careful. the complimentary beach chairs were great - if you got there early enough to get one!

our husbands had a HORRIBLE experience at the guard gate where they would not let them in b/c they weren't on the reservation list (can't say my hubby appreciated this since his name was on the room and we had already charged stuff at the pool and spa). the guard REFUSED to let them in even after speaking with me. i never received a return call from the manager regarding this issue so we visited the conceirge desk - where we waited 20 minutes to speak to someone - who didn't seem to care anyway.

we sent the younger children (9, 7, 4) to the kids crew...my 9 year old son was less than impressed. the younger girls had a great time - they enjoyed the arts & crafts and swimming the best. the girls working there were friendly.

we ate dinner at the seaside grille (no bar area) which was VERY good. i had the grouper special - yummy. we had a lovely window seat and service was great.

the spa was wonderful and a nice break from the kids. we had two theraputic massages (50 minutes) - it was nice, but only an average massage for an over average price. i also looked at the clock before and after - she shorted me 5 minutes.

so overall i was disappointed...maybe my expectations were too high.

1  Thank secrettraveler99
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Our family (mom, dad, and two teens) just returned yesterday from a 7 night stay at the resort. This was our first visit there. I was a little apprehensive because of some of the latest reviews. but our family had none of the negative issues recently mentioned. We have been to many resorts both for business and pleasure, and we unanimously agreed that this was a beautiful property with a very attentive staff.

We stayed in a 3 BR, 3BA unit in the main resort building. It had a fully outfitted kitchen and a washer and dryer, and was on the same level as the lobby. The view was mostly golf course with ocean in the distance, but what we liked was that it was ultra-convenient to all the amenities. We were a 1 minute walk to the beach, the pools, golf course, and the restaurants.

Our unit was furnished very nicely and it was clean.. The maid came promptly everyday at about 1:30 at my request, and she did a very good job. FYI, the resort provides coffee (decaf and regular for the coffeemaker and sweeteners and powdered creamer. They also provide paper towels, dish soap and dishwasher detergent, Tide and Downy and they replenish these items as needed. There is a new Publix grocery store down the block from the resort, that has everything except a pharmacy.

Onsite, we ate dinner at the Atlantic Grille twice, and enjoyed it. My 15 year old son who is a hamburger afficionado, declared it was one of the best burgers he's ever had. My husband had the wasabi tuna - very hot but very good. I had the scallops one evening and the rainbow trout another and both were good as well. Make a reservation there if you want an outside table overlooking the water. The Seaside Grille in the main building has an Italian menu. We ate there our first evening and thought it was just OK - nothing special. The kids ate at the Sushi bar a couple of times and also enjoyed that. The pool food was just that - pool food. Good enough to get you through til dinner. The wait staff at the Ocean Bar next to the adult pool was very good and always circulating if you wanted to order drinks or food while sitting poolside.

Our only complaint had nothing to do with the staff there, but with the obnoxious parents who think that the ADULTS ONLY pool sign applies to everyone else except their little darlings. Several times we witnessed pool staff telling families that it was an adults only pool. They would leave temporarily then come back and totally disregard the signs. There is plenty of pool space there for families, including a sand beach pool and another pool on the lower level that is for families.

Offsite, we ate at La Piaza Cafe and Mezzaluna in the European Village. Piaza Cafe has an extensive menu (including breakfast) and we had a very good dinner there. Mezzaluna is mostly pizza and some pasta dinners and it was pretty good. Down in Flagler Beach, we ate at Blue in the Topaz Motel and we all thought it was great. The motel is something straight out of the 50's, but is right across from the ocean and it takes you back to another era. You can have dinner while enjoying the waves crashing across the street. If you have time, take a trip up the road to St. Augustine where you will also find several good restaurants. The concierge printed out a 3-page list of area restaurants, and they are also able to print menus for the restaurants that you may be interested in trying.

If you are an "I Prefer "member, don't forget to claim your welcome gift. Ask the concierge, and they will take you over to the gift shop to receive it. This season it was a tote bag with a hat / t-shirt combo and two insulated tumblers.

There is a 24/7 business center with several computers, printer, etc. I was able to use the computers to print out our boarding passes at no charge. There was also a computer in our condo, but no printer.

The beach is nice with plenty of umbrellas and chairs. The waves were great for boogy boarding. I would suggest buying water shoes for the little ones because in some areas there are big rocks in the water.

All in all, we had a a great time. I understand future plans there may include a teen club, and a pizza and ice cream place. We think those few additions would even make it better for the teenagers.

2  Thank angelasmom
Holiday Inn Express Palm Coast
Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Coast I-95
Bayfront Marin House Historic Inn

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!