“Oh Boy! And not in a good way...”

Hammock Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Second trip here on business. Did not go with business rate, made reservations under our own name. Stayed in Lodge last year. Corner room, number 9. View was spectacular. Bed linens abysmal. Stayed in main tower this year. Room 1021. Great view. Room a little tired. Nice little kitchenette. Old style TV because with built ins a flat screen will not fit. Checked in on Friday...did not have housekeeping service until today (Monday)! Finally called because banana peels in trash can were smelling bad. Did call and get clean towels each day. Renovations going on in room several floors down and to the left of us so noisy starting today at 9 am. Stopped noise by 4:30 or so.

The property made a big deal of not automatically charging a service charge this year for the first time. Went to the spa for a coconut hammock massage with my daughter. Left gratuity on table. Guess, what...spa still automatically charging gratuity! Spa was tired looking....services were okay. My daughter's masseuse was new she thought. Uncertain starting and stopping during massage.

I will say the food in general is good. We ate at Delfinos, the Shusi Bar and the Atlantic Bar and Grill. Uniformly good, a little pricey.

Staff very friendly.

Overall, would not stay here again on our own....property is just a little tired, but okay for business (maybe).

1  Thank dwprairiefire
Brittany B, Manager at Hammock Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Hammock Beach.
We strive to inform each guest of the 20% service charge when they check in for their Spa service, and apologize that this communication was not received prior to your appointment. The Spa is in its tenth year of operation and is scheduled for upgrades this year including some new equipment and refreshing of the relaxation area as well as the Spa Front Desk.
It is our standard to perform Daily Housekeeping service for each guest unless a “please do not disturb” notice is present. Again, we sincerely apologize for the service shortfalls you experienced during your recent stay at Hammock Beach Resort. Kindly accept my contact information, Brittany Boyer, Executive Assistant, Hammock Beach Resorts, bboyer@hammockbeach.com or 286-246-5509. It would be my pleasure to assist you personally.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We've stayed at the resort multiple times and each time the experience has declined. We stayed in the lodge and had no service staff to assist us. Everyone we did encounter was helpful, but this area seemed understaffed in general. The room was very nice, but needs an update. The carpets are in need of replacement and the walls need fresh paint. The room was clean, but not perfect. The shower grout and door frame were growing mold. The balcony railing needed to be cleaned and painted. The windows were dirty and the sliding window tracking didn't look like it had ever been cleaned. Again, if the rate was lower I would look past this.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Sent too 3 different rooms before they got me too the right one. Place is empty but they gave me a room that was about as far back from the beach from the main hotel as is possible. No wireless unless you log into the other rooms next door. Looks nice but this has a long ways too go too, this is not what the web site puts forth.

Room Tip: I would not stay here again
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Brittany B, Manager at Hammock Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Hammock Beach. I sincerely apologize for the challenges during your stay. If you would please reach out to me, I would be happy to research the experience shortfalls you encountered. You can reach me direct at 386-246-5509 or via e-mail at bboyer@hammockbeach.com . I look forward to being of assistance.

Brittany Boyer
Hammock Beach Resort

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Last week we had a group meeting at the hotel and every detail was wonderful. Steve gave us great rates and Beth did a great job helping me plan a great meeting event. We do many meetings in various locations each year, and my coworkers all said this was the best one they had ever been to!

Let me start with the rooms. Incredibly spacious and very well appointed. Everyone commented on how great the mattresses and pillows were. Very nice amenities in the room and the views were beautiful. The first night I had decided upon a cookout down by the lodge, with a fire pit and s'mores afterward. What a great way to begin our meeting! Relaxing after a day of travel and the food was really good ( chicken n ribs). The following day we had the meeting, but for lunch, choose to do boxed lunches out in the courtyard. Again, really good food and it was great to enjoy the fresh air and Fl sunshine. That afternoon we had a team building event. They had so many great options, it was hard to choose, but we did their whacky putt putt golf contest and it was a blast.

The resort really takes pride in their grounds, which are beautifully kept up. The food and beverage staff really love what they do, and it shows, no runny powdered eggs for breakfast.. One day we did their breakfast sandwiches which were excellent.. Real freshly scrambled eggs!

Highly recommend them for both family vacation but also meetings.. Well worth the drive from Orlando or Jax airports!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with oceanfront..
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times, and while the consistent service is a good thing, the decor and some of the rooms are in need of refreshing. This is an extremely large resort, with many room options (one, two, and three bedroom with full kitchens), some better than others. From my experience, the rooms in the towers are better than the ones in the resort. There are many activities for all ages, and families would appreciate the convenience of the kitchens, larger condos, lazy river, golf course, spa, and putting course. The beach area is quiet nice, and guests are provided chairs, umbrellas, and towels. There is complimentary coffee and tea in the main building. The Atlantic Grill is a nice place for a meal with an ocean view.

It is a cashless resort, which I appreciate as tipping sometimes gets expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the towers. It is a little further from the main building, but the rooms ar...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Like others have said, the rooms are super spacious, with separate living room and kitchenette ( microwave, fridge, cooktop). Plenty of room to stretch out. Decor tried to be tommy Bahamas but is "cheesier". The silk flowers, cheap bedding and 1980 tv, have got to go. Staff very friendly and accommodating. The course was good (expensive) and both the massage and facial I rec'd at the spa were very good. The overall feel of this place, is that they try very hard, but just miss the mark. It was hard to isolate, but just wasnt " luxury". Then again, I don't think you should expect luxury at these rates. Overall, I would come back, with e family and take advantage of the extra space and great pool facilities ( water slide, lazy river etc).

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Today I tried twice to book a room with the Hammock Beach Resort and decided not to stay at this property.

There was way too many inconsistencies and confusion before I booked the room that I decided the experience would be just as bad or worse once I arrived onsite.

The only reason I chose this property was to visit a "Sheila Johnson" resort. I don't think she would book a room here had she had the same experience I had.

1.The reservation clerks were not friendly at all. I bet I could call a place where they "leave the light on" and get a happier person to assist me.
2. I wanted to book a room in tower based on the Tripadvisor reviews. I was given two different rates by two different people. I called twice, first to get the rate and confirm it with my husband. The second call was to book the room. Once I asked about the $100 plus difference in cost from my previous call, the clerk "found" a current discount that was being offered.
3. The discount rate did not included housekeeping services, which I was not told about during my first call. I would have been extremely disappointed to find out about this once I arrived onsite. Especially with a four day stay.
4. Being that this was a place we chose to stay for our 24th year anniversary, I would not have been happy if we could not use some of the facilities in the tower because of "special" group events. Which according to the reviews has happened. I believe this would have been the case based on the minimum available of rooms left available in the tower according to the reservation clerk.
5. We were booking to arrive within two weeks. When I asked about the cancellation fee. I was told because it was within 14 days I would not receive any refund but a credit would be given for a future stay.

I must say that I WAS looking forward to visiting this property. My husband and I love to travel in the US and abroad. This is the only 4 star property that I have had this sort of experience with. Because of the reasons above, we chose not to stay at this resort.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
The Lodge at Hammock Beach
The Lodge at Hammock Beach
#11 of 11 in Palm Coast
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#4 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Coast I-95

Been to Hammock Beach Resort? Share your experiences!