“3 Star Resort- Ginn has dropped the ball” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Lodge at Hammock Beach

The Lodge at Hammock Beach
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
Aurora
“3 Star Resort- Ginn has dropped the ball”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2008

This is what we got for eight days:

A balcony we could not use the first night as the bugs were there by the thousands. We were told they do not spray however the restaurant right below us has not one bug. Being in the business we know better.

Slashed tires in the parking lot, lost one whole day of our vacation and had to fight tooth and nail to have them pay for the tires, or reimburse us after we had already left.

They have no security cameras and the security at the property is a joke, never to be seen.

Had to request our room to be cleaned before 3 and our neighbour had theirs done at 7 at night.

Had to request that the room be vacuumed after four days.

General attitude to our issues was that they did not seem to care. There were only two staff that tried to help us during our entire stay.

We had to write an eight page complaint to the Head of Operations to finally get anything done. Called the sherriff the day after the slashed tires and they arrrived took the report and when asked if he could get a copy of the pictures and the report from security they did not know where it was and if it had been done.

We used to love to stay here but this is too much stress when on vacation, we will never be back and Ginn has dropped the ball big time on the Lodges.

I could go on but have already spent enough time in the last two weeks complaining about my vacation that I used to love so very much.

Three stars and that is being kind.

• Liked — You can see by the review nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chris19Aurora

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2008

My boyfriend and I decided to stay here while taking a weekend getaway to St. Augustine. Our stay was in January and it was cold and rainy so we never planned on using the pool or going to the beach, but they are both beautiful!

A few days before arrival the concierge e-mailed my boyfriend with a form asking if he had any special requests or would like any activities booked. The form was a request that stated the concierge would get back to him with prices and availability. He never got a response after submitting the form.

When we arrived at the lodge, we were told to park, then walk to the lobby to check in. The bellman then followed us back to our car with a luggage cart to get our bags. It wasn't a long walk but it was a little inconvenient that we couldn't just pull up somewhere and unload, but the walk gave the bellman a chance to introduce us to the resort.

Our room was gorgeous! As I walked in I noticed that the bed was covered in rose petals which was such a surprise (to my boyfriend as well since the concierge never got back to him). He apparently had requested other things and had no idea if they were going to be done or not. A few hours after arriving, a bottle of champagne and delicious chocolate covered strawberries were delivered to the room. It was so romantic, but it would have been nice for him to know that they were going to do this in advance. Since he had never confirmed all of this, he had no idea how much they were charging so we were a little curious what the bill would look like. It turns out, they only charged about $60 which I think was completely worth it!

Also in our original request was a dinner reservation. We assumed that we would be eating at the Atlantic Grille which was on the ocean downstairs, but we found out an hour before dinner that our reservation had been made at the Seaside Grille which was in the main hotel. It was pouring so a driver came to pick us up, but we still managed to get wet. The main hotel is gorgeous and very luxurious unfortunately I cannot say the same for the Seaside Grille. The gratuity is included in your check so the service is horrible. We didn't really need much more than a drink refill halfway through the meal, but our server was not attentive nor were the several attendants walking around the dining room. It was obvious that our server had never worked in upscale dining. The food was ok. My boyfriend had the special and was not impressed. The only thing I did enjoy were the crab cakes. During dinner we decided that we would have been much happier eating at Bonefish which is down the road in Ormond Beach.

The turn down service he requested made the evening so much better when we arrived back at the room. The lighting was romantic, our robes were laid out on the bed with chocolates and our toiletries and towels were replenished.

Again, the room is amazing! The bed was very comfortable and there is a mini fridge so you can bring your own drinks. There is a great shower in the bathroom, no tub, but very comfortable robes. Also, the room was very clean! The only downfall is that it is all tile and the hallway is tile so you hear everything. We were at the end of a hallway so there wasn't any traffic by our room but you could still hear people like they were standing at your door. We could also hear our very noisy neighbors who decided to wake up before 7am to have breakfast on their balcony. It probably isn't always that bad, they were just very inconsiderate.

The next morning we ordered room service from the Atlantic Grille (where we should have eaten at the night before). The service was fast and the food was good!

We did request an early check in of 3pm and a late check out of 12pm and they had no problem accommodating us.

Overall, the hotel is amazing and I would probably stay there again, but leave the resort to eat.

• Liked — The room and the view
  • Disliked — The lack of communication from our personal concierge
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Lawbella
las vegas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2007

Stayed at this resort 4/21 to 4/25. We stayed in the lodge portion of the hotel because we wanted a direct ocean front room and we booked directly over the internet.

I must agree with the previous post that guest relations are very poor. We received an email about 10 days prior to our stay from the "personal concierge" asking if there were any special requests during our stay. We filled out a request form for foam pillows in the room and sent an email directly to the concierge asking where we could send a package to ourselves to be picked up on our arrival. There was no response and after a second letter with no answer I gave up.

There is a resort fee of 10% of the room rate for the so called "personal concierge", housekeeping and gratuities, porterage, etc. Upon our arrival and departure, both mid day, there was no one to assist us with our baggage. There was a greeter at the door but they did not offer to assist. The fee is also supposed to include a USA today but none was placed under our room door 2 of the 4 days. There was still a USA Today in the hallway but when one is paying a $27/day resort fee you expect better service.

The hotel is part of the "I prefer" program for hotel rewards as adertised on the hotel website. Upon check in and check out (I presented a card the second time because I had a feeling we weren't being credited and I was correct) neither front desk attendant had any idea what I was talking about when I gave them my hotel rewards card. Shouldn't the staff be aware of their own programs? It's not the front desk agent's fault but clearly poor management.

If going down to the beach the towels are not replaced in a timely manner, it is on a first come, first serve basis. We did see towels being replaced one day at around 6 pm. Again, not a dependable service. There are covered umbrella chairs you can set up on the water front which is a big plus.

Now for the positives. The room was very nice. You can see dolphins in the morning from an ocean front room and perhaps a whale if your're lucky. You can also look for dolphins if you dine at the hotel's restaurant again facing the ocean.

Our room did have the foam pillows that were requested but there was a horrible body odor on the sheets. We called downstairs that night to have the sheets and pillows changed which made me wonder if the bedding had been changed in between guests. The body odor smell was in the pillow and we had to get new ones. The housekeeper the following morning was very apologetic about the smell and she brought us brand new pillows. Again, the room itself is very nice. The furnishings are in white with hard dark wood cabinetry. Plenty of hangers to place your clothes and toiletries made specifically for the resort that smell nice.

We ate at the resort's Atlantic Grill for breakfast two mornings and the food was very good with a nice presentation. The staff was very personable. If weather permits do sit outside to try to catch some of the dolphins swimming directly ahead in the ocean. Gratuity is included with the meal price.

We will stay at this resort again because it's the only 5* lodging in the area and the beach is great plus the room views are amazing. I feel the resort fee of 10% of the room rate is completely out of line, especially when you don't get half of the perks that are supposed to come with the hefty fee. But if you want a nice spot to watch dolphins and a good beach to curl up with a book in the area this place is it.

• Liked — the view from the room
  • Disliked — spotty service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank frequenttraveler27
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2006

We have just returned from a week at the Lodge at Ocean Hammock. The area where it is located is very upscale with lots of palm trees and beautiful vacation homes and condos. The Lodge is actually the clubhouse for the Ocean Hammock golf course and it only has about 20 rooms. It is very quiet and relaxing and a great place to unwind. My wife and I had an ocean front room. The rooms were very luxurious and it was wonderful to grab a drink and just sit out on the balcony and watch the waves roll in.

The service was great but because the lodge is small one should expect that there will not be a large staff around 24/7 to meet your every need.

The Ocean Hammock golf course is nothing short of spectacular with several holes directly on the ocean. The greenskeeping is outstanding with fairways and tees like fine carpet. The tee times were 20 minutes apart and I would guess no more than 10 groups played the day my wife and I played. We only saw the group in front of us before we teed off on the first hole and that was it for the rest of the round. There was nobody behind us either. I guess that is what one should expect for almost $250.00 a round !

There is also a beautiful swimming pool, restaurant, outdoor bar and fitness centre on site at the lodge. All are top drawer and were never busy.

In summary, a beautiful place to relax, unwind, and play a spectacular golf course. It is not the place for you if your idea of the perfect vacation is crowds and lots of attractions.

• Stayed December 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank 2Putt
Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2006

The room and view were absolutely gorgeous! Palm Coast is still a bit underdeveloped, so on-site/nearby dining was limited. We had a problem with room service on Saturday night. It took three phone calls, a trip downstairs and over 1.25 hours to get my meal delivered to the room. It was lukewarm but at 9:30 pm tasted pretty good. I am really more disappointed in the way my complaint was passed over. I paid for the meal and the entire trip. Not one manager bothered to address my complaint. Will not return unless price is right.

• Liked — Room and view
  • Disliked — Foodservice
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Homebody2000
skaneateles, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2006

Just got back from 3 nights at The Lodge at Ocean Hammock after a week at Disney. It was FABULOUS!!! It was very relaxing. We loved the coquina shell beach. It is very special. My kids 4 and 7 loved going shelling and playing in the ocean. There are alot of large rocks due to the recent hurricane, but during high tide it did not hinder my boys from body surfing. The rooms are gorgeous and have a calming effect. I also loved the turn down service ever evening. The only complaint I have is it's a little bit fancy for young rambunctious little boys, with only 20 rooms, we were definitely noticed. Most of the clientele were older couples and golfers. So we sometimes felt uncomfortable and did not get a chance to enjoy the beautiful restaurant. One day it was chilly so we went over to the Cinnamon Beach club house and enjoyed playing fooseball and air hockey and watching a movie on the big screen TV. Overall this was a great place and we would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank lorskaneateles
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2005

Our stay with Ocean Hammock was wonderful!! We came down from Georgia to attend Biketoberfest and though it was a 25 minute drive to Daytona Beach, it was WELL worth the drive at any hour. We stayed in Canopy Walk, in a beautiful 3 bedroom condo. It was fully furnished from kitchen to bathroom to laundry room and was wonderfully spacious. The clubhouse boasts a pool table, as well as, a gym. Outdoors we found a nice pool and hot tub, with a kids play area, too. It was quiet and relaxing. We were lucky in that we had two other couples go to split the cost three ways so it turned out absolutely fantastic. Check out is wonderful in that you don't have to drive back across to Ocean Hammock Lodge to turn in room keys. They allow you to leave them in room, and call to check-out. This saves you from having to pay a toll, just to turn them in. We are already planning to stay again next year. Toward the interstate was a nice gas station, McD's and a Cracker Barrel. Nice and convenient.

• Stayed October 2005
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
Fairfield Inn & Suites Palm Coast I-95

Been to The Lodge at Hammock Beach? Share your experiences!