“Excellent Hotel...but you need to know this...”

Hilton Garden Inn Palm Coast
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Palm Coast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel and I expected nothing less, because when I travel I have on two choices for my accommodations and a Hilton Gardens is one of them. I was there the weekend of Dec 6th-Dec 8th.

The staff was great check in was a breeze we stayed in Suite 421 absolutely huge and I love when the picture on a website looks exactly like the room itself.

Breakfast was great and again the service was excellent. Later on that day we decided to go to the pool and spa area which is always a plus factor for me.

Here what you need to know before going to the pool/spa area and if you have kids be very careful and check the water and under the ladders. My roommate was on holding on the rail of the ladder went all of a sudden she yell out something bite me and before we could get to her from the hot tub she yelled out again something bite me again. We got her out of the water and I spotted a black bug hiding under the ladder as you get out of the pool.

I picked up the emergency phone and told the front desk lady that my roommate got bite by some sort of bug in the pool and we need help and to know if the bug was deadly and the possibility of taking her to the hospital emergency that was right across the road from the hotel.

She called the maintenance person to fish out the bug that we saw, but before he had a chance to do at that I spotted across the pool a larger black thing as we moved closer it was another bug maybe about 3 inches long and about 1 inch wide....OMG... I got chills up my spine GROSS!!!.

The smaller bug that bite my roommate bite her so hard it punctual her skin through her swimsuit you could see it and was bleeding a little not much. The front desk lady was very nice and came out it bunch of creams and ointment from the first aid kit.

She also went back to the office and looked up the bug that bit her on the computer as we found out it was not poison to humans but to it's prey it is certain death, but it leaves a painful itching and burning where it bites you for hours.

Even thou it was not deadly that was blessing and she did not have a reaction to the poison the discharged into her body. But child or adult that suffers from allergy reactions to any kind of sting or bite will surely have a different effect to this bugs bite and will be sick.

After that we all were truly paranoid even in out room looking the possibility of an bug being in our suite between the bed sheets, cover's sofa chairs.

Not a great way to remember a hotel stay also I was there on business to scope out a look location to have our women club event in 2014.

But I don't see that happening now I would not feel comfortable for any of my attendee's after this experience and what a shame too it is such as beautiful hotel and the location is great too.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jarrieta55
DABTC, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Palm Coast, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Garden Inn Palm Coast. Our outdoor heated pool and spa area is one of the outstanding features of this hotel. Guest' appreciate being outdoor in the sun and fresh air as opposed to an indoor pool and it's walled confines. We are sorry that Florida's wildlife caused such dismay. If we could eliminate these types of insects and bugs, we would. Unforetunately, these bugs are indicative to Florida and on occasion we have to deal with them. We are sorry that you and your party crossed paths with these water bugs, and that there was no long term harm. We look forward to your return on your next trip to Palm Coast.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Palm Coast

Reviewed December 9, 2013

Fantastic hotel in a great location for visiting our in-laws. Was very impressed with every staff person that we encountered. Food was good and the drinks at the bar were perfect. Kids came back with us and utilized the lovely swimming pool.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The location was close to the highway. The property was beautifully kept. Outside the room bathrooms were impecable. The restaurant was clean and friendly service and excellent food. We had internet access. The paper was available at the bar down at the breakfast location. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Olga F
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was a personal trip for my wife and I. This was our first time at a Garden Inn. This hotel is extremely clean and staff is very attentive. The mattress was too hard and pillows too soft (even though we asked for extra pillows. We were not able to sleep well for the three nights. For the money we paid I think the price per night should be lower.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 27, 2013

A welcoming atmosphere and lovely hotel. Spending time with family from overseas. We had the best time and appreciate the attentiveness of staff and help finding great local restaurants. Service in restaurant and food were excellent at dinner and breakfast. Staff very accommodating. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carroll_Hamann
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've had a bad experience in the past with this brand of hotel in Tallahassee. BUT, this hotel has gained back my trust and I will definitely stay at this brand again. Great bar and restaurant staff, very friendly. Adjustable firmness on mattress - both sides - awesome. Plenty of decaf and condiments like I requested, including a frig for my meds. GREAT STAY - thank you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ACS33607
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We needed somewhere to spend the night on the way down to Miami. This looked the part on Tripadviser and so it proved. We checked in and then drove down to beautiful Hammock Beach. We are from Oz so are not used to such difficult beach access. All beaches Downunder are easily accessible for everyone. This one required a toll payment to go over a bridge. We were wondering if we should have bothered but when we arrived it was well worth the effort. Back to the hotel. Well appointed. Friendly bar staff but a very formal check in gentleman.

Nicely appointed rooms with a good view. Good decor and all you will need.

Great area for a walk and handy to supermarket if you need to get some things.

Would stay again and confirmed to me that HGI are a good option.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple