“No longer accept Interval Exchanges”

Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Massachusetts
“No longer accept Interval Exchanges”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

We went on a timeshare sales pitch and were told they don't accept Interval exchanges any longer. We were in a stuido which for 3 people was a little tight but the view of the ocean (higher floor) was great. We stayed at the king fisher. Loved Singer Island. It had more than I expected. Staff was nice enough but while place was lush and beautiful it didn't have an indoor restaurant. There are plenty of places to eat around though. We liked the restaurant at Palm Beach Shores Resort. Highlights of Singer Island was Peanut Island where JFK bomb shelter was. Also lovely place to walk aroud. Water activities can be taken at Palm Beach Shores like snorkeling etc. McArthur Park is also great. I'd go back there but get a larger unit. Place didn't have an internet station which I missed to keep in touch with friends (didn't bring a laptop). Pools were great.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

I am a Marriott timeshare owner but traded into Ocean Pointe through Interval about 30 days prior to arrival on an AC. My friend and I arrived on MLK Day and were assigned a studio on the 5th floor in the Sailfish bldg overlooking the reception area (I had requested a pool view, oh well). You could see the ocean from one of the balcony chairs positioned just right. :) The room was a typical hotel room but had a nice bar area with refrig and microwave where it was easy to prepare a simple breakfast or sandwich for lunch. I agree they could upgrade the sofas. We did not use the sleeper sofa but the sofa itself was not comfortable to sit and read or watch TV.

The property was at 90% capacity but never felt crowded except at water aerobics one morning. The drive in off I-95 south is a little seedy, if you come from the north it's more upscale and scenic. Publix provided the groceries we needed and Wings the beach chairs ($15), the rentals on the beach were $30 a day. With that said, since we had flown we left our chairs at the hotel with the Activity Center. We learned they already had a few had we asked before purchasing. So be sure to inquire before buying any beach supplies, you may get lucky and an owner has left some things behind.

We drove to West Palm Beach to City Place one afternoon, great shopping and dining, about 20 minutes. Johnny Longboats for dinner one night, great service, reasonable with huge portions. Sailfish Marina was great, yes expensive but wonderful atmosphere on the water with nightly entertainment. Both are within safe walking distance. Tiki Bar at the resort was fine for one quick lunch and dinner, resort prices and decent food (great mahi-mahi sandwich), make sure you go at Happy Hour to save a little bit of $$. Beach had some erosion and was steep in parts for walking, also the red flag was up during our entire stay due to shark sightings, but it was pretty chilly anyway.

As previously reported, this resort is not new but Marriott has done a very nice job keeping things updated. I will definitely return with my family if I am lucky enough to ever snag a 2 bedroom exchange. BTW, Studio would be very tight for four people, two was great. It was disappointing not to have a view at the beach, but it certainly did not damper our trip, we could see the sunshine and knew it was snowing at home.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelmom29
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2011

We stayed at Marriott Ocean Point in the Sailfish building the week between Christmas and New Years. tt is a beautiful property, beautiful location and well maintained grounds. We had a two bedroom unit which had enough room for the six of us. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable. The only negative was the sleeper sofa bed could benefit from being replaced. The matress was too thin. All in all a great place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

I read it here after booking. They make no bones about it. Issued first floor 2 bedroom overlooking parking lot. Objection results in being told owners have priority - with a look that pretends to say I sympathize, but belies contempt. What is their problem? Later I called and asked if I could rent a two bedroom on a higher floor. Guess what I was told.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bogman
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2011

Although we are Marriott timeshare owners we booked two weeks here thru Interval International. We were very pleased and enjoyed our stay. Place was 96% occupied during our two weeks. This is certainly not a new resort but we found it to be up to date and not old and worn as had been indicated in several reviews. We had two bedrooms in Cobia building on third floor. Rooms were good size and clean. King beds in both bedrooms. We drove thru Riviera Beach off 95 and area wasn't great but not that bad either. Once you were across the bridge we felt very comfortable and safe and walked most of the area south of Blue Heron without any problem. The staff was helpful and met our every need. Market place was a bit expensive but was convenient. Cash-less approach in market place does seem to imply you should tip the clerk for nothing other than writing up your check. When they scooped ice cream for me I did tip. When I took an ice cream bar from the freezer I did not. Personal pizzas were great for a late nite snack. We walked to 7-11 every morning for papers and exercise and had breakfast twice at Johnny Longboats. Enjoyed them and I thought they were reasonably priced. Wings store in that same complex of stores was junk with a capital "J". St Paul of the Cross is a nice Catholic Church about three miles north on A1A with Saturday and Sunday masses. Publix grocery store a mile or so beyond the church met most of our needs. Also found a nice laundry (Eagle) just beyond US 1 on PGA Blvd. We saw several movies on PGA Blvd near the Marriott Hotel (beyond the gardens mall and on the left) and down US 1 in Jupiter. Our son took a guided Kayak tour with the rangers in MacArthur park. He came back with much local info. We ate at Panama Hatties (nice view but it was cold), Brio Tuscan Grille ( in the gardens mall and the food was great), III Forks (on PGA Blvd west of 95. Great steaks but somewhat expensive. Not an every night kind of place) and sailfish marina (close and good seafood), and finally on site Tiki bar where we watched the jets beat the patriots. Beach is narrow and steep at least when we walked it and rent of equipment on the beach (not a part of the resort) is expensive. Had fun playing minature golf in the resort and our son enjoyed the pool though he had to clear some bathers out of the swimming lane. Nice new big TVs in each bedroom and living room and of course wireless that gave us no problem whatsoever.. Drove through palm beach which was nice. Airport here for visitors is convenient.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Rochester, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2010

I am currently at the Ocean Point and it is our first day so far. I requested the Sailfish building at a high floor and ocean view, but of course we did not receive this due to availabiltiy. They asked me a week ago what was most important and I said "The ocean view" so what do we have a parking log view and on the second floor...oh but we are in the Sailfish building. I am so dissapointed again with Mariott, we are owners at Las Vegas and evertime we exchange our week this is what we go through. I don't understand why Mariott owners are treated like this and I am extremely dissapointed once again! To be at a location as beautiful as this location and not be able to have an ocean view or even a pool view is really unacceptable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank LisaM40
Greenwood, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2010

Spent the week of Thanksgiving 2010 with my wife and two small kids at marriott's ocean pointe and I have mixed feelings about this hotel.

Positives:
- Beautiful grounds
- Plenty of activities for the kids
- 4 (heated) swimming pools and the beach are right at your doorstop
- Beautiful weather in November (low to mid 80s all week, no rain) and the ocean water was perfect
- Tennis courts and equipment were in very good condition (you only get 1 hr per day though)

Negatives:
- The sleeper sofa - We stayed at a one-bedroom unit, so my kids (ages 9 & 6) had to sleep on the sleeper sofa. The mattress on that sofa was the poorest quality mattress you can possibly imagine and after the first night my kids were complaining of back pain. After 4 nights we were all sharing the same bed. I own a timeshare through Disney and their sleeper sofas are fantastic. I was expecting Marriott to have similar quality but I was wrong.

- Sales people are kinda pushy - I kept getting calls from the sales guy throughout the week.

- Smoking sections are located in high traffic areas - right by the pool access gate and by the beach access gate. I'm ok if someone else wants to smoke, but neither I or my kids want to breathe second hand smoke every time we are going to the pool or the beach.

- Even though the view from our unit was beautiful, we had to go out into the balcony to really appreciate the view because the windows were so dirty that you could hardly see out to the ocean

- No mid-week cleaning. This is the first timeshare I've stayed at a timeshare where there is no mid-week cleaning included. I could have a cleaning, I was told, but I would have to pay for it

- Not much around, so you'll need a car. Once you get off Singer Island, the area is very scary and we did not feel secure there. We went to a pizza place to pick up a carry-out order to find the pizza place had bullet-proof glass.

All-in-all We will not be hurrying back to Ocean Pointe and if we do go back sometime in the future, we would definitely have to get a two bedroom unit so the kids can have a real bed to sleep in and not that joke of a sleeper sofa. The resort itself was nice, but the shortcomings really add up, in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank jairoabq
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Shores
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort

Been to Marriott's Ocean Pointe? Share your experiences!