“One of the best!”

Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
“One of the best!”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

We exchanged our timeshare to spend a week. The resort is very well maintained and the staff is very friendly. We reserved a two bedroom and what we got was a two bedroom lockoff unit. The unit was quite large and laid out well. We were told by the staff that they are beginning a major makeover of this place. It was nicer than most of the timeshares we have stayed at and are already in the process of upgrading. This resort is top notch. Only downside to the area is if you are traveling with teens, there is not a lot to do in the area for teens and young children. We are hoping to travel back here one day for a romantic vacation without the kids.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank beachloversPA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I was hesitant about staying here because of some of the bad reviews. They were wrong, we had a great time. The room was nice, and very clean. The pools were great. Always plenty of room on the lounge chairs. We really enjoyed the tiki bar. And to all the wonderful people from Boston who we met that were watching the Stanlely Cup playoffs at the tiki bar, so sorry for your loss.

The beach was also great, the water was warm and crystal blue. I would also recommend Johnny Longboats and the Sailfish Marina. Both are within walking distance, and have great food.

2 Thank jamakenmecrazy
Wallingford, PA
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I have been coming to Ocean Pointe with my family for nine years. My kids (now 17, 14, 12) love the place and every summer they want to come back. I am a huge fan of Marriott and a very loyal customer. I have never purchased a timeshare and prefer to rent because I worry that the properties will not be updated/renovated frequently enough to live up to my expectations. That concern came true last week when my husband and I checked in for a 5 day stay while in the area for business/pleasure trip. We checked in the property and checked out within 30 minutes. We were put into a 1 bedroom in the Pompano building. The elevator and hallways had an odor of food, the carpets were extremely worn, the walls in need of paint and some drywall repair. The room was more of the same dissapointment. The carpets were dirty and faded, the furniture worn. The staff was very professional and explained they were at 99% occupancy and had no other rooms except for the first building now under renovation. Marriott needs to find a way to keep up with the interior maintanace better. I understand they can not make major renovations every few years but their 10 year mark for a beach resort is a problem. I rememebr watching them build the Pompano building and for it to appear so distressed 5 years later is a problem. The grounds are still beautiful, the pools appeared clean, and the location on the beach is perfect. They seem to be trying to clean up neighboring Riviera Beach but progress appears slower than expected. We checked into the Resort at Singer Island which Marriott recently took over-beautiful condo units on the beach but not the same resort atmosphere as Ocean Pointe.

3 Thank jmyersrw
Dallas
Reviewed May 18, 2010

Traded a timeshare week for this property for a break from real life. My fiance and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Before I go into more details, let me point out a couple of things. With timeshare properties, you do not get housekeeping daily. They normally do a single mid-week cleaning -- this one didn't do a mid-week tidy - so that's a bit of a negative in my mind. it was a surprise as Marriott timeshares usually do this. Generally, there is no room service. If those things are important to you, you want a full service hotel not a timeshare property. Having the right expectations helps when you are looking at a property like this.

That said --- This was a really nice place. We stayed in a 2BR / 2Bath unit. We were on the side / 3rd floor so we could see the ocean at a distance. We had a full kitchen with washer and dryer. It was well equiped and in working order. The furniture didn't seem as worn as most timeshares, although it had it's share of Florida prints (palm trees and flamingoes). The balcony was a nice place to have breakfast and watch the cruise ship coming in. Master bedroom was huge with a large bath and whirlpool. 2nd bedroom had a King bed as well.

Check in was quick. We got in early and they were able to accomodate us. For timeshares, don't expect this. If they are at capacity, it takes the afternoon to clean and prep the rooms. Staff was courteous all over the property and offered up suggestions on local restaurants -- unprovoked.

Property is very nicely landscaped and well maintained. Activity list was nice and there were things for all age groups. It's a few minutes off the main road, but not a big deal. I strongly suggest a car to truly take advantage of the area.

Pools were great with a decent amount of shady spots. Beach has only a couple of entrances from the property (you have to cross the dunes). You will need the gate code to get back in --- no one mentioned this to us, so it was a bit of a pain. Note, this isn't a private beach, so you'll have to rent chairs and umbrellas if you want them. Sand is very soft, so no matter where you are, there isn't an area that's well packed, so if you're into walking the beach, it will be a real workout!

The tiki bar does breakfast and snacks / sandwiches during the day. We didn't try them, but they looked decent. There are several places within driving distance. Definitely try out the new Longboat Johnny's up the street --- they serve breakfast til noon and other good options throughout the day. It's a nice place hang out with the locals and have an adult beverage.

There are lots of places to eat within 10-15 minutes and you are close to a grocery store. It's easy to make this your home away from home! We made this our launching point for exploring the coast, as well as the Palm Beach area. It was nice to be able to visit the hot spots, but to also get away from the rush when you just wanted to chill out. Definitely consider Singer Island!

2 Thank KimKDallas
Minnesota
Reviewed May 4, 2010

I'm not sure where the previous review writers stayed because we LOVED the place. We do not own any timeshares and chose to stay there because I had been in the area before and it looked beautiful. We booked a one bedroom villa overlooking the ocean and we received a one bedroom villa, coroner unit, third floor overlooking the ocean. We were in the "Sailfish Building" and the unit was in wonderfull shape. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The grounds were well maintained and very clean and serene. The ocean is within steps of the gated property. The marina, inlet and shops are all within walking distance. All in all, this is one of the best vacations we ever had. It was a pleasure staying there.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thumper1997
Georgia
Reviewed May 3, 2010

After reading all the recent reviews I almost changed mind about going, I'm glad I didnt. This place is amazing, its one of my favorite Marriott destinations. The location is beautiful with typical Marriott landscaping, great location on the beach with lots of friendly staff. The rooms were clean and updated with new flat screen televisions and fully stocked with the usual items found in a timeshare. The only negatives that I could think off would be that the pillows were a little flat but no big and there was no Salt and Pepper in the kitchen, very trivial issues I must admit. Dont know where some of the bad reviews came from, this place was great. Most stores and shopping was 10 minutes away. The restaurants close to the resort were just alright, nothing that I would go to again, just so so, and pricey.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank itravelalotGeorgia
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We are owners at this resort so obviously, we love it. We make it here normally 2-3 weeks per year. It's perfect for traveling with young children.

Yes, owners get the top floors. Even as an owner, many times you are on the 4th floor. We have an oceanfront unit so we always get a view but my parents own an ocean view and sometimes get a room mid way down the side of the building. There is a whole hierarchy of how they assign units even with the owners. For example, people that own multiple weeks get best units.

We have traded many times through interval and we never expect to get a great view when going somewhere other than our home resort. Of course they will give their best rooms to their owners...the owners have paid thousands of dollars own there, plus pay yearly maintenance fees. Honestly, if I found out someone who traded in or rented had a better unit of the same type as us I would be livid.

That being said, Marriott used to have "low floors only" when you rented through their site and it looks like they don't anymore. That's misleading, because the lower floors do not have much of a view at all.

So if you're looking for a beautiful resort with roomy villas that have kitchens/laundry, this place is great. But unless you own or rent directly from an owner, if you're expecting a great view, you will most likely be disappointed so just keep that in mind.

Also, it is not a full service hotel. They have an outdoor restaurant but it is not your typical Marriott set up with multiple restaurants and a spa. They have a bar by the pools but no waiters that go around to chairs. Also, you have to rent the chairs/umbrellas on the beach, they are not provided. So as long as you know what to expect, I'm guessing you'll love it.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank KatieWplus4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Shores
Marriott's Oceana Palms
Marriott's Oceana Palms
#1 of 4 in Riviera Beach
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hilton West Palm Beach
#2 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort

Been to Marriott's Ocean Pointe? Share your experiences!