“Two Minor Problems But Well Worth the Stay!”

Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas
Reviewed August 22, 2006

On the way to the resort, don't be discouraged by the adjacent run-down neighborhood. It is not an indication of the resort. Be prepared to hear the timeshare "sells pitch," but they do accept "no" for an answer. I understand that most timeshares don’t do this, but they took out the trash and brought clean towels daily. My unit overlooked the pool, but the noise was minimal.

I will admit that there were some things that were unacceptable for even a 1-star resort. There were fleas in the room, but they exterminated immediately. Also, there was mildew in the shower, but I sanitized it.

Be sure to take advantage of the awesome beach, but bring your own umbrellas. The daily rental is quite expensive. Don’t be afraid to venture out; I was traveling alone. The food and customer service at the nearby Salfish Marina are great and the front desk has written directions to just about every nearby attraction.

Stayed: August 2006
13  Thank cynjeff

Reviewed July 28, 2006

If you are looking for a family beach resort, this has got to be one of the best finds! It is ON THE BEACH...not near the beach, not across the street from the beach.

We have stayed here the last two 4th of July weeks. It's really nice. I believe the property was originally an Embassy Suites beach resort before conversion to timeshare, and I must say it is impressive. We bought about seven years ago, having seen many timeshare properties and laughed at the notion of buying, if that tells you anything.

The property is a "u" shape, so nearly all of the rooms have a view of the beach, either from poolside or outside. There are a few rooms on the front of the hotel that do not have an ocean view, so be sure you know what kind of room you are getting at what price.

Each room has some sort of kitchen area, ranging from a half-stovetop and microwave/oven combo to a full kitchen. The hotel has a nice restaurant, tiki bar with menu, and room service with the least expensive breakfast I've ever seen on room service (~$5)! There are also several "beachy" restaurants across the street that are good and VERY reasonable, and you don't need to take the car. This resort and immediate area gets an A+ for food value!

Also in each room is a gigantic bath, a king bed, a pullout sofa, a dinette area, two nice TVs, a Stereo, and a balcony. All of these items vary in size and configuration depending upon the unit, so you should know your priorities when you book.

There is a coin operated washer/dryer and the usual ice/vending area on each floor. There is also a little store on premises, and convenience stores and ATMs nearby. If you are flying in and want to spend your time on the beach, don't bother with a car. If you are driving you might want to go north on A1A to A1A&1 for groceries or other restaurants.

Of course, if you're visiting this resort you want the beach, which is right there. You walk outside, there's the pool, and there’s the beach. Careful of the charges on the beach for chairs, umbrellas, etc.; We were told $35/day. So you might want to bring/buy your own.

We love the place. If you want to be on the beach and feel like you are getting good value, this is the place!

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
26  Thank ellwooddiesel
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My husband I went to this resort during the Fourth of July week as sat. to sat. check in.
We stayed there for a week and we were satisfied with this resort overall.
I read bunch of reviews here about cons and pros and printed them out when we left.
We went for our 1 year anniversary, planning to just stay at the resort without any outside activities. Relaxation was our goal.

I think for those who had horrible experience here just had a bad luck.
Anybody can go through a horrible experience regardless of its 5 star hotel/resort rating.
Slow elevators were popular complains, but we had no problem with it. Whenever
we reached the elevator door, it came right away. (I guess we had good lucks?)

THE PEOPLE AND EXTRA CHARGE
People were friendly overall.
However, they shouldn't charge $6 per day for parking and $1 per day for room safe use.
We also had to pay for the laundry $1 for washer, $1.25 for dryer.
Reading the previous reviews, we brought our own beach umbrella and beach mat.
Nobody bothered us for using our own and there were numerous people who brought their own supplies. I recommend to bring your own.
There were kayak rentals for $15 per hour and $45 or $50 per day.
I was surprised that this resort is a sister resort to Vacation Village at Parkway in Orlando. I would grade this resort as silver than a gold crown.

THE UNIT
We staying at 5th floor pool/ocean view room and we enjoyed it. They played live musics
frequently and the light noise kids playing at the pool were pleasant to hear.
It made us really feel like we're on the vacation.
The unit was nice and clean overall, but I didn't like the bedding sets (top layer too rough and cheap although sheets were ok) and kitchen utensils were cheap as well. The knife they had were so cheap I could tell that they prob. got it from dollar stores.
I was surprised that they had DVD players. Bring your own movies with you if you have kids because you might have to stay-in due to weather issues. They also had stereo system which was nice.

WEATHER AND BEACH
July weather in Florida is crazy and I would not go back in July ever again.
We got lucky and got to see clear beach water for one day for about 2 hours. Beach was nice and clean (water was turquoise blue but wasn't transparent all the time. It depends on the weather) The beach had nice light waves coming in that was very fun and pleasant. However, the water level goes deep very suddenly and you'll find yourself
playing at the edge of the beach.

NEIGHBORHOOD
People mentioned that the neighborhood was ghetto and I saw what they mean by that.
However immediate areas weren't so bad and we didn't feel unsafe at all.
You can find numerous gift shops and stores in walking distance (1-4min walk)
and what I liked about them were that they didn't over-priced items. I guess you all know that resorts areas tend to rip you off but not this one! I got one Palm Beach Mug for $4.99,
nice Magnet for $5.99, and surfing board for $17.99(adds extra fun at the beach!)
There were 7-Elevan, and Gator Grator(local small grocery store) for you to food shop and get basic needs.

Oh, and you have to try HAWAIIAN PIZZA(pineapple and ham topping) from the Flamingo Restaurant located in the lobby floor of the resort! I tried Hawaiian pizzas in NY but never liked it. However, this one was a blast! refreshing and very tasty. We had to order twice!
The price was just soooo good: $8.95 for 12", and $11.95 for 16"! That's cheaper than the pizza hut!

TIMESHARE
We own at Vacation Village at Parkway and we were sure that we wouldn't by from this resort. I also read people complaining that they bother you to come to the presentations.
I guess that was the case for us too. They left a message each morning to come down tot the Public Relations desk for free starbucks coffee and florida key chain. We went (twice) and got the coffee and key chain. And they said they'll give you a $75 cash with free lunch/breakfast at the Sailfish Marina if we were to do this "SURVEY".

Well, it was Wednesday and since we didn't plan anything but to stay at the resort, we kinda got bored and decided to go. All we had was time and why not for free lunch and some extra cash? The host(grandpa) took us to the Marina by shuttle bus, and I had pasta and my husband had a delicious reuban sandwich. The host and we had nice conversation about Florida and kids..etc... He was aware that we were the owners and I was wondering what he had to offer. What he came up was totally different than I thought.

((( RCI Points System))) If you're a currently a week owner, its something you should consider. I always had complains about exchanging through RCI and not getting what I wanted. Even if I deposit my weeks a year earlier, if others don't deposit, I still have problems. I'm sure you're aware of this if you're timeshare owner. But RCI Points seems to resolve this problem, and sounded good so we transfer week ownership to points for $3000. (Listed price was $4999). I would like to explain this further, but I'm not the seller so I'll stop it now. NE ways,,, it turned out all good for us =).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well,, I hope this helps and best wishes for all!

• Stayed: July 2006
29  Thank elleno
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Just got back stayed the last week in June 2006. This was our 2nd visit to this resort. The 1st time we took family & had a really good time. This time we went on a "couple" vacation-- We had so much fun!!
BEACH- Very Clean & water was gorgeous! They do charge 4 chairs(dont like that), but not really a big deal because I went to Walmart & bought 2 blow-up floats for $1.50 ea & they made perfect loungers at the beach(we just gave them 2 some kids when we left)
POOL- The resort must have seen the complaints about not enough chairs because they had plenty of chairs around the pool this time. There are lots of kids in the pool -so couples would probably prefer relaxin on the beach
ROOM- 1 Bedroom/1 Bath -LOVED the room- very clean! they clean it 1 day during the week & the maid supervisor comes & makes sure it is to your standards that day- They will bring you fresh towels & change your trash anytime --I like this so much better!
AREA AROUND THE RESORT- Seems safe enough, but some parts are ugly to look at
WHERE TO EAT-Shopped at Walmart because of the kitchen in the condo. Favorite place we ate was at CITY PIZZA -yummy!! it was so good-- it is in CITYPLACE fun place to shop, nightlife, movies, & restuarants

We did have them leave us messages about attending time share the 1st 2 days we never returned the calls & they didnt bother us anymore! I give the resort an A+ for being clean & good service

• Stayed: June 2006
19  Thank faithh
A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2006

I was skeptical when I read the bad reviews but the experience I had was pleasant.

I got there late after midnight on a Saturday night after travelling for two days and I was exhausted. My son had had a moped accident and he was hopping. I checked in and the bus boy took us down this long hallway towards the front of the hotel. I had asked for an ocean view and a pool view but I was very disappointed becasue the 1st floor balcony was a wall and didn't have a gate to the pool, so you had to walk thru the long hallway back to the middle of the hotel where the entrance to the pool is. You couldn't see the beach from the balcony becasue it was too low. My bedroom had two queen size beds and the one I slept in was awful. My husband is heavy and everytime he moved I was bouncing. The next day I went to the receptionist and asked if they could find me a room by the elevators so my son didn't have to walk that much, with a king size bed and with a pool view and ocean view. I had no hopes they would but they did find me a room the next day on the fifth from that was just PERFECT and that made ALL the difference in my vacation. I enjoyed the place and I enjoyed the whole stay. When the sun was too hot between 12:00 noon and 3:00 p.m. I would sit in my balcony watching everybody in the courtyard and listening to the wonderful singer in the hut by the pool.

The apartment was well kept. The bathroom was big. They give you clean towels every day which is something they usually don't do for timesharers. I ususally do a lot of cooking on vacation and even though I found the kitchen small at first it was appropriate for four people. They even have granite tops.

I had heard about the charge for chairs and umbrellas on the beach so I brought my own chairs and umbrellas and the walk to the beach is short. The beach is kept clean and the nicest on Singer Island. The water was clean and delicious (meaning warm) the sand is a little on the coarse side but nice. Later that week there was a bit of a storm out to sea and the seaweed made the water look a little dirty but that's something you can expect anywhere you go.

They also have a nice restaurant by the pool which is affordable and delivers if you want room service. Very convenient. They also have pizza, which is delicious by the way.

They also have an exercise room for those who want to keep in shape, which is open till 10:00 p.m.

I highly recommend this place. Like I said all my requirements were met and that made me a happy camper.

Stayed: June 2006
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed June 25, 2006

We traveled for our family vacation to Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas last week. My family includes 3 kids aged 7, 4, and 1. We were very impressed with the service and attention entering the resort. We also appreciated that they honored our request for ocean view and a crib for our toddler. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. I loved the small kitchen with spacemaker oven and dishwasher. It was very useful for cooking meals for the family. The kids loved the conveniences in the room with video games, movie rentals, and kid friendly television stations. We found the resort to be a great place for families with children. Elderly and romantic couples at times seemed out of place and this may be because of the number of families with kids there at the same time. Resort staff was very helpful and accomodating in bringing fresh towels daily. We did see one waterbug or cockroach...i can never tell the difference... My husband killed it and we did not see anymore the entire time we were there. However, I understood that we were in Florida with alot of moisture and waterbugs are prevalent in that area. I told the timeshare people we were not interested in a presentation and they never bothered us the entire time we were there and we really appreciate this courtesy. We have been places where they hound you the entire vacation. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely go back again.
The weather was wonderful, pool was great, beach was great, and the kids had a blast...what more could you ask....definitely a 2bdrm next time or at least 2 bathrooms....one bath is not enough for us :-)

• Stayed: June 2006
23  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 14, 2006

Paper thin walls.....you will not sleep well due to this. Very noisy, a FAMILY resort with all kinds of young ones screaming and crying! They make you pay for parking! $6.00 a DAY! There is a safe in your room, they do not tell you that they charge if you use it! There is NO SHADE by the pool, no umbrellas or anything.....and the beach? well it is magnificant, really BUT they do NOT provide chairs or umbrellas there either...so you have to pay $25.00 A DAY for ONE CHAIR and ONE umbrella! The staff WAS nice although they hound you about going to timeshare meetings which they disguise as orientation and in order to receive your FREE breakfast or Lunch you must pay $20.00 up front which you get back AT the MEETING....I didn't fall for this because I am a TIMESHARE OWNER already and this was an exchange for me.....I'll never make that mistake again. SO, to sum it up, if you are a member of RCI there are no perks for you....no free parking, no beach chairs, no shade but plenty of kids, noise and sleepless nights!

12  Thank hot4croix
#5 of 5 in Palm Beach Shores
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!