“I love the people and atmosphere here!!”

Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I loved the activities here. The afternoon trivia and crafts are a lot of fun. The front desk personnel are wonderful and helpful. The food is delicious, I don't usually order a pizza outside of a pizzeria but the Islander Pizza was delicious. I can't wait to come back next year.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank teenageo
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for your 5-star recommendation of Palm Beach Shores Resort. We’re happy to know that you enjoyed the planned activities for guests and the quality of the food offered at The Islander Grill. We look forward to welcoming you back again next year!

Reviewed June 25, 2013

From now on, I am no longer going to dwell on bad hotel reviews. To be honest, after staying 7 nights at PBSR on Singer Island in Florida, neither my husband nor I have any complaints. The place was awesome and we hated to leave. The room was amazing, complete with everything you need. It was clean, comfortable, attractive and the view from the balcony was awesome! The resort itselt was equally as nice. The pool, tiki bar, food (pizza is best we ever had) and access to the beach was great. Entertainment every day by the pool from 11:30 to 3:00 was also great. Lisa, tiki bar and pool server, was very friendly as were the hotel registration staff and guys whom you rented the beach loungers from. There are several things to do around the resort as well as many restaurants just a short drive away. Sailfish Marina was fun. Crystal clear ocean water both at the resort's beach and the marina. If you want to change it up a bit, PGA Blvd, about 10 minutes north has many nice restaurants... highly recommend Seasons 52 for a nice night out. All in all, we were very happy with the resort and hope to return, possibly next year. Met great people who are planning to return week 23 next year. Would love to join them. If you are looking for a nice resort right on the beach, I would highly recommend staying at Palm Beach Shores Resort.

Room Tip: Any poolside room is going to be good. 6 floors total, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lori P

Thank you for your great recommendation! We’re happy to know that you were pleasantly surprised by our resort and service while on vacation. Unfortunately no one resort can be everything to everyone, but we do try to make all of our guests happy at Palm Beach Shores Resort. Most of the time we’re quite successful and our guests return to vacation with us again and again. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to Singer Island in the future.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We came early hoping to get a better room and beat the four o'clock rush mentioned in other reviews. However, the reception staff seemed irritated with us and not very helpful. We had to wait until just before 4:00 for our room to be ready. On getting to our room, we were disappointed with the view and asked if we could get a better view. "No," was the reply. They weren't overly concerned with making us happy. However, our room was clean and pleasant except for overlooking the parking lot with trash bins (tidy enough) in the back corner and restaurant exhaust fans noisily humming below. Room and furnishings clean and well maintained. Public areas and hallways all nice. Pool small. Beach is a bit of a hike away. Refrigerator old and small with insufficient ice-making capacity for day-by-day use. Dining table light is annoying - doesn't light the work area adequately, but shines in your eyes otherwise. Restaurant a little pricey, but otherwise surprisingly good. They signed us up for a timeshare presentation and let us off easy when they figured out that we had just been to one at a sister resort a month ago, but implied that it was our fault that they signed us up to start with even though we told them from the outset that we had just been. Started to get our ire up, but resolved amicably.

Room Tip: Request north tower upper floor overlooking pool which should give pool and ocean views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Larney J
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience. We’re sorry that you were disappointed in your accommodations and that our staff was not attentive to your needs. We’re thankful that you enjoyed some parts of your time with us but we’re committed to providing an outstanding vacation for all of our guests. We hope that we may welcome you back and have another opportunity to exceed all of your expectations.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

When we arrived at Palm Beach Resort (from another RCI Gold Crown resort - Hilton Grand Vacations in Orlando, which was simply wonderful) I felt a sense of foreboding, having driven through a very unsavoury area to get there. We approached the reception desk 30 minutes before check in time; the woman behind reception did not once glance at us or offer a welcome, but told us our room was not ready and to return 30 minutes later. We did so, having spent the waiting time at the filthy outside bar amongst the many smokers (the inside bar, such as it was, was not manned) and by then the line stretched outside the door. We then waited for over 45 minutes to be given our keys and tentatively but optimistically (as you can be wrong about first impressions and we were keen to see the upside) approached our room - which we had of course swapped for our own Gold Crown week in a beautiful resort. We of course had to withstand the hard timeshare breakfast sell ordeal before being allowed to finally make our way upstairs. Thankfully we're experienced travellers and were able to do so but I did see a young couple being sucked in as we left the desk.

The room was a massive disappointment and faced onto the car park, despite being told all rooms had great views. If we boosted our balcony seats with pillows and craned our necks we could just make out the sea but only if we ignored the run down buildings opposite and the aforementioned seedy car park directly below. Nevertheless we didn't turn on our heels but talked each other into staying put and tried to settle down and just get on with it. That night neither of us slept a wink. The bed was dirty, the pillows lumpy and stale smelling - the crowning glory was the dried blood stain on my husband's pillow case... We spent the entire night trying to contact RCI to find us alternative accommodation. It was a Saturday night and the website was down so we didn't hear back and thought they might respond on Monday - but nothing was heard.

We ended up moving out the following morning, having paid for parking and a safe we didn't ask for or use and came down to Fort Lauderdale, where we paid out handsomely for a great small hotel which has helped to retrieve our holiday - but at a price we didn't expect to have to pay on top of the RCI fees. We continue to wait for a response from RCI and will be pursuing a refund. This resort should NOT be designated as Gold Crown and it is nothing short of disgraceful that holiday makers are conned into going there on this basis. How I wish we had paid closer attention to the comments on Trip Advisor - so easy after the fact but it really is 'buyer beware'. Please, please don't make the same mistake we did. If we save even one person from this massive disappointment the time it has taken to write this review (my first) will have been well worth it.

RCI you should be ashamed.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank RPLondon0
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for sharing the highlights of your Palm Beach trip with us. We're certainly disappointed to read that our property did not meet your expectations during your stay. It is our priority to provide all of our guests with exceptional service and accommodations and we apologize that we fell short of these expectations during your vacation. We would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort but understand if you choose not to. Thank you again for your feedback as it does not go unnoticed.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

We were booked in for a week and left after one night. RCI described this place as "comfort and elegance" so far off the mark I'm horrified to think who might have wrote this. From the surly, miserable check in staff, to the dirty, small, parking lot facing unit, things couldn't have been worse. We spent one night in case we had missed the point, we hadn't so left. The cut and paste management replies to negative feedback sums this resort, we just can't be bothered, unless trying to sell you a timeshare that is. Avoid.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank John P
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Thank you for your candid feedback. We’re sorry that we failed to meet your expectations during your brief time with us. Many of our guests have enjoyed our hospitality as proven by the countless reviews that have been shared with RCI and here on tripadvisor. We offer a great beachfront vacation value for our guests and we regret that we could not provide you with the same experience. Thank you again for your feedback as it does not go unnoticed.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas

Gold Crown? More like Tinfoil Crown.

The Good -
The parking lot attendant was a super nice guy, always happy and smiling. What a nice welcome! The valet/bellmen, and the activity/concierge folks were very nice. The folks at the restaurant were pleasant and the food was good, although slightly pricey for what it is. Those were the only bright spots at this resort. The management at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas turned our vacation into a nightmare.

Room Request -
Previous to our trip, my father called the property to request rooms close together, because we had both traded in via RCI. He was told that was no problem. He also asked about the view and was told that there were no rooms with a bad view. They all offered either ocean, bay, or pool views.

Check-In Timeshare Scam -
At check-in, we were directed over to another desk to pick up the parking pass that we already agreed to pay $6/night for. My wife walked over ahead of me and was told they wanted to give us a free breakfast or lunch. They requested a $20 deposit to secure our spot. As we walked to the car, I realized what had just happened. Classic, aggressive timeshare sales tactic. We own at a reputable resort that doesn’t do this, so I had only heard about such things.

The Room -
We entered our room, which was dated and had a strange layout. The kitchen was tiny, with only a convection microwave and a 2-spot cooktop. One of the few cabinets had loose doors. The fridge had an icemaker at one time, but you could see it had been ripped out and replaced with two old school ice trays. The living area was clean, but dated and tacky. The bathroom was enormous, as large as the master bedroom. Unfortunately, it was mostly wasted space, and also in disrepair. The towel holder was broken and rusty, and the towel bar was loose on the wall. The bedroom was nice enough, although the mattress was soft and a bit lumpy. We could hear the people in the room below, although I’m not sure if it was because they were loud or the resort needed better insulation. But the most important part is the view when visiting the beach, right? We slid the loose/broken lock on the sliding door to go out and check out our view. Wow, breathtaking… The view was of the parking lot and the slums across the street, you couldn’t see any beach or water. At least the room was clean, although it had a bit of a chemical deodorizer scent.

Disrespectful Management, Timeshare Sales Annoyance -
My father talked to the manager about our views, which were not as promised on the phone. She told him that the rooms with a view are reserved for OWNERS and PAYING RENTERS. What?? We own at a Gold Crown resort, pay over $1000 per year, per week for our own maintenance fees. The concept is that an owner at this resort was supposed to have traded THEIR week into RCI, which we then claimed. So why would we not be treated as well as owners? This is shameful and not at all acceptable. Regardless, the manager wasn’t interested in discussing. She was very matter-of-fact about this. My wife immediately went down to the timeshare sales desk and requested our $20 back. She told them this resort wasn’t up to our standards and we absolutely would never buy. They coughed up the $20 without hesitation, apparently this wasn’t the first time they’ve been told that. Laughingly they told her that this wasn’t a timeshare sales presentation. Just a free meal and a survey. I guess lying is not above these folks! Regardless of our statement, they continued to leave a voicemail each day offering us a free gift if we would just come down to claim it. They also slid papers under our door each day with the same claims. We’re firm believers that a good resort (like our own) sells itself.

At this point, we should have left and cut our losses. But we were determined to make this a fun family trip anyway.

Pool / Beach -
The pool area was outdated and crowded with rows of chairs almost on top of each other, so we opted to pay for a set of beach chairs for the week. No one mentioned that the sand here gets so hot that it will burn your feet. That would be good information to share with your guests. Our first day at the beach, we were walking up for lunch and my son started yelping and running fast. We thought he had stepped on something. He was the only one barefoot in the group. Poor guy. Thankfully he is quick and no damage was done. Unfortunately, my father had the same experience, but he wasn’t as quick to realize it. He wound up staying in their room with 2” blisters on the balls of his feet for the next day and a half.

Locals / Safety -
The resort is right next to the public beach as well as a run-down strip mall. Most of the mall is empty, although there are two nicer bar/restaurants on the corners and a wings for your tourist needs. Two Drunken Goats had awesome food at reasonable prices. The ice cream shop was dingy and included “bathroom is for customers only” signs, like you see in other classy establishments. We were lucky enough to attempt to walk down to the Marriott one evening to meet some friends. I can honestly say I feared for the safety of my family walking through the locals. While walking we enjoyed the sounds of ghetto rap full of curse words, blaring from blinged out cars as they cruised by the public beach/park entrance. We also saw cops and an ambulance in the parking lot, from what appeared to be a fight. Needless to say, we asked our friends to drive us back to our resort after dark.

Car Ding, Lackadaisical Management Response -
On Wednesday, we were leaving to meet friends for dinner when I realized someone left a massive ding on the side of our car. This left a 3-4” round crease full of red paint on my almost brand new grey car. Of course, there was no note. We went in to discuss with the manager. She told me that we should have valeted the car. Unfortunately we had returned at midnight the night before and valet was closed. I asked about cameras and security. I was told that they have no cameras and apparently no sympathy for their guests. She made no attempt to appease us.

Car Break In -
Angrily leaving for dinner in our freshly dented car, my parents flagged us down before leaving the lot. Get ready, this is the icing on the cake... Their car was broken into! Someone rifled through their glove box and left everything spread out all over the floor. They stole some odds and ends, but nothing of major value. The resort security guy said they had never had a break-in in the 7 years he had been there. However, the officer who took the report (in tactical vest, mind you), mentioned they patrol the 10 blocks of this city constantly. I find it hard to believe that we were the first break in, if the area requires that much supervision. Looking just across the street, I don’t see how they don’t have break-ins and muggings daily. The police called my dad the next morning to tell him that security had caught someone earlier in the week with my parents’ belongings. It was a homeless guy, and they chose not to press charges. But, I’m not sure why they didn’t inform all of the guests of that, for our own safety!

Leave Early, Management Doesn’t Care -
We decided to leave Thursday morning, even though our check-out was Saturday. Despite our best attempts, this vacation was not going to get better. No attempt was made by management to make things right. There were no apologies, they just charged us for the parking and safe (which we didn’t use) for the nights we were there and sent us on our way. They refused to partially refund our weekly beach chair rental, which was expected, but again it would have been a nice apology for the nightmare vacation! Again, it seems no one in management cares about their guests in the least. They seem to only care about suckering people into buying more timeshares from them. I feel sorry for anyone who falls for that and has to go back there again!

Singer Island -
Friends of ours stay at the Marriott up the road every year. They convinced us to make this trade through RCI and join them. Palm Beach Shores was the closest to them and based on RCI photos, the nicer looking of our two options on Singer Island. PBSR is also rated Gold Crown, although I’m not sure how that’s possible! The Marriott was a beautiful property with quality amenities. We visited and used their pools and hot tubs rather than the ones at PBSR. I’d probably be willing to visit the Marriott again in the future… That said, Singer Island rates very low on our future vacation plans. As soon as we came over the bridge, I knew we would be in for some trouble. The street is lined with old, dilapidated buildings. Many with broken out windows. Apparently our friends come in the back way, just to avoid having to drive through the main area. There were plenty of four families for rent along the main road. I noticed the “Singer Island Yacht Club” on the way in, complete with busted out front door. I guess the building must be vacant. I would not feel safe walking these streets, especially at night. Because I prefer that my family is safe on vacation, I think we’ll stick to the west coast of Florida in the future.

RCI –
A word of caution to other RCI traders. Be careful where you trade. We trusted the RCI ratings and reviews. If you take the time to read reviews on TUG (tug2.net), TripAdvisor, and others; you will get a more realistic representation of the resort. It seems we would have benefitted from this, as there are similar stories on these sites. We did call RCI and request a refund of our trade, but our request was denied and we were advised to contact the company that owns PBSR for compensation. The CSR we talked to mentioned that if we had called while we were there, they would have moved us to a different resort. I’m not sure why they couldn’t give us our trade points back after the fact, if that’s the case. They also noted how surprising it was for us to have so much trouble at a Gold Crown resort. Apparently, this designation isn’t what it once was. I’m not sure we want to bother with the ownership of PBSR, as I’m sure the timeshare sales techniques are in use at any of their properties. I think we might be better off switching to Interval International or Hilton Grand Vacations Club, both of which are offered at our home resort.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Phil F

Thank you for sharing your experience. We’re sorry that we couldn’t provide you with the vacation you were expecting. We work hard to ensure that travelers enjoy their stay and we’ve received many positive reviews here on tripadvisor and with RCI. We apologize if you were misinformed about our room views. Our website clearly states that our room views are of either the Atlantic Ocean, Singer Island or the courtyard pool area. Every effort is taken to fulfill special requests but we don’t guarantee them. We empathize with your point of view regarding exchanger room assignments however we believe that it is only fair that an owner should get the view they requested at their own home resort. It’s one of the many reasons an owner decides to purchase at a beachfront resort. We’re sure that most exchangers would agree with us and would expect the same level of service at their own home resort while on vacation. Like most hotels renters can choose to pay the full rack rate for a specific view if they find it necessary and if there is availability. We apologize that our marketing process disrupted your own vacation. Many of our guests attend the presentation and like you, see the value in timeshare and leave as a timeshare owner. Palm Beach basically has the same weather as Bradenton and sand will get hot under the Florida sun with no shade. We regret the unfortunate incident with you and your parent’s car. You did report that your car had been scraped with red paint however later told us that you couldn’t be sure if it happened in our parking lot. Your father advised the Manager on Duty that he wasn’t sure if his car door was locked. While there may be some questionable areas in Palm Beach County, police patrol Singer Island quite frequently which helps make the area safe. Our resort has consistently maintained a Gold Crown Status with RCI, which recognizes quality and is given based on positive comments by members who have visited us on exchange. Though you felt we couldn’t provide you with the same hospitality we will view your experience as an opportunity to work and improve our service for our future guests.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed here for a girls long weekend from Wednesday to Sunday. The room was very clean, the front desk gave us a little upgrade to a room with a beach view, which was awesome. The Tiki Bar food was wonderful and the service was fabulous. We did not encounter any time share hoopla, the staff was overall really wonderful. The only thing I will say to the negative, was the spa is not really a full service spa, it is more like a nail salon with a treatment room, but if you are not going for the spa experience, and want to stay at a really nice family friendly place, this is it. The pool is really nice, live music most of the day which was awesome, the beach is very clean, and you can rent little cabanas or chairs with pads and umbrellas for 30 bucks a day, which was really reasonable. I would definitely go back !!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bellrbi
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Thank you for your recommendation of Palm Beach Shores Resort. It is our goal to provide a great vacation at a great value and we’re happy to hear that we have succeeded in making your Girls Weekend a memorable one. We look forward to sharing our hospitality with you the next time your travels bring you to Florida’s east coast!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Shores
#5 of 5 in Palm Beach Shores
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Shores Resort & Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!