“Skip this one”

Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Reviewed August 30, 2012

All I can think of is cheap! This "resort" is nothing more than a boiler room for timeshare sales. They try to nickel and dime you right down to the towels and the room safe. We travel constantly so we know what we are talking about. Can not recomennd this one.

Room Tip: Skip entirely.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dan B
There are newer reviews for Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our stay at Palm Beach Shores Resort lasted a good two hours. We arrived at the hotel just about check-in time, 4:00 p.m.. It took a good 10 minutes to even reach the door because the 4 valets present were just allowing cars to pile up. Check in process was okay and I can confirm what previous reviewers have said about the pushy sales pitch to 'provide them feedback on the property' (and to buy into this hell hole). You had to endure this in order to receive your parking permit. The hotel charges $6.00 per day for parking--whether you valet or self-park which is ridiculous when you see the lot. This is just the beginning of the nickel and dime game they try to run on you in this place.

We get to the room that was supposed to have an ocean view. It turned out that our ocean view could be seen just a tiny bit past the huge dumpster that was right below us. But wait, this is supposed to be a two bedroom. Turns out the key cards they provided us didn't even open the adjoining suite. I called the front desk and they asked me to come back down for new keys. (Did I mention there was only one operational, slow elevator?) I get to the front desk and the kind young lady provides me two MORE keys--all of which look the same. So I asked if the two existing keys could be programmed to open both doors--no dice. Then I asked how I am supposed to tell which keys go to which room. She takes them back and marks one set with a sharpie. Wow.

We retire back to room to check it out. I can definitely say this resort is all about loss recovery. In our room was an 'inventory' of the things provided, along with associated prices that will be charged to you if any of them come up missing. Seriously? But that wasn't the worst part, they charge you for EVERYTHING. Do you want new towels? Sure, that'll be $10. Do you want them to take out the trash? Sure, that's another $10. If you want both, that'll be $20. Another $40 if you want your room cleaned. Late checkout? Sure, but that will cost you $125.00 extra!! Are you kidding me?!

Shortly thereafter, we decide to go to the in-house restaurant downstairs. The host greets us and escorts us into an, almost, empty dining room. He then turns to me and asks, 'Where do you want to sit?' I answered, 'This is fine'...at which he drops the menus on the table (in a stack) and rolls out. He then walks over to our server to let her know she's been sat a party at which point the two of them get into a full blown hissy-fit because she wasn't ready for another table just yet.

That was it. We went back to our room and called RCI to place us somewhere else. We ended up driving another 45 minutes away to a new hotel. On our way back to our room we noticed buckets and towels all over the place due to the leaking roof. There were so many, the lobby looked like an obstacle course. My kids rather enjoyed that part, actually. How sad is that?

Just as an additional note, if you're looking for a 'full service spa' like the one they advertise having, please be aware that this is a room the size of a closet where they do nails. Although, there is a large curtain in the corner of the small room where they do massages. Hardly the picture of 'serenity'.

5  Thank hantonism
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. While we understand that parking fees can be inconvenient, they allow us to supply you with the very best service and security for your vehicle and valet service is complimentary. RCI’s confirmation letters only state the resort is oceanfront. We try very hard to honor all specific room requests but they are not guaranteed. Most timeshare properties will include an inventory sheet in the unit listing housewares. We believe you misunderstood the other charges listed in your comments. Trash removal and clean towels are delivered every day at no charge. A complimentary mid-week full service is given on either a Wednesday or Thursday depending if guests are on a week’s exchange and depending on if check in is on a Saturday or Sunday. RCI guests who are on the Points system would still receive complimentary trash removal and towel exchange delivered to the unit every day and will be charged a $25 housekeeping fee if they stay less than 5 nights. We do offer daily maid service for an additional $15 a day if a guest would like that. The $125 on the registration card refers to an excessive cleaning fee that may be invoked if necessary. Excessive cleaning fees are standard policy for most resorts. We apologize for the service you received at the restaurant. Palm Beach Shores Resort does not own or manage the Island Grille and Tiki Bar but we have forwarded your comments to the restaurant’s management so that they may be addressed. We are very sorry for the condition of the lobby when you returned. We did have leaks spring up during Tropical Storm Isaac and we were trying our best to control them during the storm. The Maintenance Department has since worked around the clock repairing the damage done. We’d also like to comment that the room you described where manicure and pedicures are performed is where massages are booked, they are not performed behind a curtain. The curtain you described shields the pedicure station so clients can relax away from the reception area. Massages are done in a separate room. We pride ourselves on providing a relaxing vacation environment and the challenges you faced are not the normal standard we offer. We're very sorry that we could not provide you with the service so many of our other guests have received and we hope this experience does not deter you from visiting Palm Beach in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We enjoyed a much need family vacation. The kitchenette was great. The dining area wasn't so great. The glass was attached to the cabinets so it was a little uncomfortable. The sleeping was a little uncomfortable on the pull out couch, but the bedroom was great. I think having two teenagers and two adults, it was a little tight. Had a problem with the sinks and shower draining and maintenance was there within five minutes, they were great! The even had housekeeping come in and clean the bathroom over. The one thing, the staff is very pushy. Don't go to breakfast, unless you want to be pushed into purchasing there. We read the reviews first, so , we were aware of the neon sheets under your door and the phone calls daily.
The resort is beautiful! Everyone was very nice. Anything you need, they will help with out a doubt.
The pool is very nice, however, there is NO shade unless you are drinking at the TikiBar.
What we enjoyed most, was the fact that you could be on the beach within three minutes. The beach rentals are very high but much needed. The water and beach are beautiful. We even saw a manatee swimming by. It was a great experience.
Just a few minutes away, you can get what ever you need at the 7 Eleven, Subway, Wings for anything you forgot to bring with you, etc.
Want a great breakfast and/or dinner, Johnny Longboats is awesome. If you are going on a honeymoon, you will love the shops, scuba diving rentals and surf wear. There are so many other places within walking distance. Also, there is a nice park next to the resort and on the weekend, there is usually people playing volleyball. Relaxing, Quiet and a great time. We would recommend this to anyone.
Oh, by the way, make sure you always put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door, or the cleaning staff will walk in on you when you are going to the bathroom.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor facing the park. It was still nice, however, you should try to get somet...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recommendation. We are happy that your family enjoyed their time with us even though we’re sorry that we weren’t able to meet all of your expectations. We hope that our other amenities and continued attentive staff will entice you to stay with us again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Being a water lover and having small children this place holds many, many memories for me.. I "honeymooned" there, both my children grew up going each year to enjoy summer holidays and family time. Thie kichens are great with full fridges and lots of pots pans and a microwave.. They offer a shuttle to the Publix on certain days for free and if you have a car your not too far from Walmart.. Beware the drive in is "sketchy" but, well worth it. I was lucky enough after a family emergency this summer to have a friend with a unit there. They were most gracious and we traveled to near by peanut island and toke a water taxi and snokeled. We only rented chairs a few days but, they were comfy. My experience with the resturant was great the food was good --lobster night too tempting to pass up for the price --be aware tip is added in but, the service was great so I didn't mind. All the managers and front desk staff was friendly. The conciege was very helpful and even helped me save a few bucks by finding a local Hertz rental place that saved me money over renting at the airport. We had lost a dear friend that week and had a nasty court battle with a former family member and this place was a safe haven to sit on the patio, walk the beach, enjoy those rum punch specials and let time heal all wounds. They were the best ---it's no Ritz Carlton but, I can't' wait to go again!!!

Room Tip: Get the top floor corner facing the park
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely review and for your continued loyalty to our resort. We can receive no better compliment than knowing that our guests entrust us with their vacations and return year after year. We appreciate that you have allowed us to be a part of your family’s most treasured memories and that you’ve shared these experiences with us on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming our friends back to Palm Beach Shores Resort!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I though the hotel was nice. It was quite a surprise from the reviews we had read. I did think that the pool was a bit small for the size of the hotel. The food in the restaurant was ok. Loved the beach service, very convenient. We now know you really do need to rent a car because the grocery store was ove a bridge. The gator house grocery store was a life saver for us. My wife and I overall enjoyed this place for our honeymoon. I would recommend it.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jay M

First, congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are honored that you chose to stay with us for such an important occasion in your lives. We appreciate you pointing out amenities like our beach service, that sets us apart from other vacation spots here in Palm Beach. Thank you for your recommendation and we hope we can welcome you back next year on your first anniversary!

Reviewed August 17, 2012

My daughters (11 & 13) had a great time at Palm Beach Shores Resort, but they are fairly easy to please; give them a pool and they are satisfied. Give them a pool and a beach they are extremely satisfied! At their age they don't care what the room looks like or what kind of service you get, etc. we are a very well traveled family. We've been to enough resorts, hotels, and restaurants to be able to make reasonable comparisons. This resort was nice, but it was above average, but certainly not a luxurious paradise resort. The rooms were clean but not elegant. The pool was a bit small for a resort that size. We were only on the 3rd floor but had no access to the ground floor by stairs; we had to use an elevator every time (only 2 elevators on each wing of the resort). The grounds and building were clean , but nothing made us think, "Wow!"
Some of the things that approached "Wow," we're the beautiful beach, the food in the restaurant, the friendliness and helpful staff, and the poolside games/ entertainment. The beach was outstanding and clean. No need for water shoes at this beach! The food from the resort restaurant was very good and they provided service at the bar from the pool as well. The entertainment by the pool was enjoyable and even though the pool was relatively small there was usually plenty of lounge chairs to go around.
We like to visit different places all the time, so the question of "would I stay there again" would probably be no, but only because of the "been there, done that" mentality. There have been few resorts that we have returned to only because we like to explore new areas and resorts.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lonnie S
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We’re happy that your family enjoyed their time at the resort and we appreciate you sharing the details of the experience. We are constantly looking for ways to improve service and our guest’s feedback has proven to be a valuable tool in achieving this goal. We hope that you decide to give us another try in the future so that we may have the opportunity to exceed all of your expectations.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Let me start by saying I was not impressed with the check-in procedure. We arrived before check-in time and our suite was not available. This is to be expected. When I asked if they could store our luggage until our room was available, the response from the bellman was "can you keep it in your car?"

We exchanged Disney Vacation Club points through RCI and this was the only beachfront resort that was available in our window. We were only mildly hassled by the greasy timeshare salespeople. It starts at check-in were after you are booked you are sent to the "public relations" desk and they attempt to shower you with gift cards and meals if you choose to endure their sales-pitch. Luckily we have knowledge of these practices and declined any and all efforts to sell us another timeshare. If you are vacationing and do not own a timeshare and come to this place, be aware of the middle-aged men with slick hair dressed in billowy, tropical shirts with gold chains and loafers.

The staff was friendly and generally helpful, save for the bellman/valet that wanted me to store my luggage in the car. They were polite and professional and seemed to be genuinely concerned for the well-being of the guest. Patrick at the front desk was a true gentleman and would be fit to serve at any of the finer resorts. The staff were all in uniform and were able to answer any question I had.

The room itself was OK. We had a nice balcony with a view of the pool and view of the ocean, albeit slightly limited. It was clean and equipped with a kitchenette with all items needed to prepare a meal. The knives were even sharp. The bathroom was huge to the point of being too large. It had a double sink, bathtub and separate shower. It was clean and offered plenty of storage. The bed was comfortable.

The pool was crowded but clean. the landscaping surrounding the pool area was very nice. it was seriously pleasing. i aspire for my own backyard to be that nice. The turaco they keep by the lobby was my favorite bird they had on display. The macaw was pissy. Please lose the jungle squirrel.

The tiki bar outside was great. The prices are really good and they run bucket beer specials everyday. There we also lots of TVs to watch sports and just kick back.

We ate at the restaurant one night. i had some mahi-mahi, rice and avocado dish. It was boring but it was calories. If you want good fish, head north up to Jupiter to Captain Charlie's Reef Grill. I can't say enough positive comments about that place.

The beach was excellent. drink service was kind of slow. I guess that is to be expected when you have one waitress for hundreds of people. Save frustration by bringing your own food and beverages. The only thing I disagree with was the price of umbrella/chair rental. $30 a day is too much. i understand charging for cabanas. I feel the chairs/ umbrellas should be provided by the resort at no cost to the guest. Every other resort I stayed at didn't require any kind of payment for use of chairs. You are welcomed to bring your own umbrella but you are asked to remain at the fringe of the private beach to minimize dangers posed by lightweight beach umbrellas. The staff was so nice and helpful, paying them is almost a pleasure. The guy with skin like a leather jacket whose feet have only touched sand is really a great employee.

Check-out was painless. I wholly disagree with $6 per day parking fee and $1 per day safe rental fee. I'm paying lots of money to stay at your resort. parking should be included. A dollar per day safe rental fee is ridiculous, especially if you aren't using it. This is the only resort I've been too where they charge a fee for use of a safe. The resort owners should do away with this and the parking fee.

The elevators are very, very slow. They are of a hydraulic type and travel very slowly. This is probably to give you more exposure to the timeshare sharks.

As a side note, please take into consideration that the area across from Singer Island is not very nice. It's the type of place one would expect Bob Woodruff to report from donning body armor. It's kind of sad considering the disparity in income with Palm Beach proper just south. it's almost as if Florida has given up on the residents of this section West Palm Beach. I saw almost no police presence save for a dummy car they position on Broadway next to a liquor store. They moved it slightly forward one day, changing its angle. Proceed with caution. If one finds it necessary to venture out at night, I recommend heading north to Jupiter. The island itself (actually a peninsula) is safe.

Was it a good trip? Yes it was. Would I stay there again? If necessary, yes I would stay there again. Given a choice I would probably pick somewhere else.

4  Thank LimaJoe

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Palm Beach Shores Resort but we apologize for the unprofessional behavior of the bellman you encountered. We’re thankful to know that our other employees were friendly and attentive to your needs. While there may be some questionable areas in Palm Beach County, Palm Beach Shores Resort is located on Singer Island, well-known for it’s beautiful beaches and up-scale homes and hotels. Our amenity fees are quite competitive for a beachfront resort in this area. This beautiful locale is one of the reasons we have chosen Palm Beach Shores Resort as a prime location to showcase the benefits of Vacation Ownership. We understand your views regarding the hardworking people in our industry but we believe that we offer an exceptional product and many who visit us as guests leave as a member of our family of timeshare owners. Like you, these owners have the opportunity to travel with their family all over the world and pay a fraction of the cost that most consumers would have to pay for the same standards in a hotel. We appreciate your recommendation of our resort and we hope that we may have the chance to welcome you back to Palm Beach Shores Resort on your next beachfront vacation.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Shores
#4 of 5 in Palm Beach Shores
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas? Share your experiences!