“Disappointment Upon Arrival”

Inn of America
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Disappointment Upon Arrival”
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I had made the mistake of booking one night at this motel through SHDweb on March 12 2008. The internet appearance of The Inn Of America in Palm Beach Gardens appeared quite inviting! Previously, I had made a reservation at a much more expensive Hotel in that City. But I thought that I needed to cut back on costs for my vacation. The internet absorbed a rate fee of $107.10 for the intended nights stay on March 19. Also taken was the tax amount and SHDweb nonrefundable fee of $5.99. On that particular day I had driven 5 long and hard hours from St. Augustine, Florida south. I arrived Palm Beach Gardens and located the motel at about 5:00 pm totally exhausted. I didn't care for the outward appearance of this motel along side of I-95. It seemed to be quite dirty and worn-out. I asked to see my room and was escorted by a staffperson. She could not open the door with the card-key. Just looking in the window told me that I had arrived at a very seedy motel. I informed the Manager at the front desk that I did not wish to stay at this motel. He said that it is paid for and there will be no refund. I left and sought alternative arrangements for that overnight stay. This and another similar situation which had occurred during my 5 day vacation has convinced me that I cannot reserve a motel/hotel room sight unseen through the internet based upon the description and photo's offered by such a location to innocent travelers. I absolutely do not recommend that any traveler stay at The Inn of America in Palm Beach Gardens! This motel needs a thorough overhaul.

Stayed March 2008
5 Thank Ripped-Off08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
FL
Reviewed July 31, 2007

While in lobby checking in a gentlemen behind me was meet by a local "lady" of the streets and from over hearing conversation he regularly come that way and she "watched for him". Driving around hotel to room noticed what seemed to be vagrants hanging out around parking lot and noticed the other local attraction a large ABC liquor store next door. I was very cautious when leaving and returning from dinner and if my company had another approved hotel anywhere near meeting for the next morning would have left.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank jdwanabe
Chicago
Reviewed February 1, 2007

I stayed here one night--and that was enough. While one of the hotel staff was very polite and eager to assist (he seemed almost embarrassed by the lax attitude of his co-workers), it failed to make up for the lack of safety of the place. Florida is full of transients; unfortunately, this motel is one of the places where they shack up for extended stays. While checking in, one of the transients wanted to show me to my room. Yea, right!! Like I would trust that guy! The staff didn't seem to think this was strange. After that, I made sure to look over my shoulder while on motel grounds. The room itself appeared nice, at least externally. I liked the decor. However, the faucet was falling out of the counter and every time I turned it on it wrenched out of place. Later, after returning from dinner, I found the parking lot full of about 10 police, donned in bullet-proof vests and riot gear. I didn't hang out in the parking lot long enough to find out what was going on. I figured some of the transients got busted for drug possession. I scurried into my room and locked the door. I would have loved to have chained or bolted it, but there was none! Scary, especially considering the place is a criminal hangout. Also a big disappointment was the $8 wireless Internet surcharge. Most motels give you free wireless these days. The one plus was the long pillows. I got to cuddle with them to comfort me at night wondering who would try to break down my door. But I wonder how many others have done the same? Dirty transients? Ick!

Stayed January 2007
5 Thank ittybittbetty
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 30, 2006

I was charged for an extra night due to a clerical error on their part. I asked for a refund. The manager is the rudest most inhospitable person on the planet. He refused to admit the error was on his part and to give me my refund. It turns out that errors are charged to the pay of the desk clerks. Imagine that! This place is major ripoff, stay away.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alabama
Reviewed January 27, 2006

I would stay away, as this place doesn't appear safe. Very shady people walking around, and no lights working in the parking lot. Has interstate about 50 feet from one side and car wash on the other.

The bottom of the bucket of hotels. Like every other hotel, it isn't American owned. Bring your tranlator.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Homer H
Reviewed April 9, 2005

Arrived at 10.30 PM as we had to get off the freeway due to bad thunder storm the hotel is as close to the I. 95 as is humanly possible.. without accually touching it. Got ripped off over $170 for a hotel that Motel 6 would have scrapped. A disturbance started around midnight in one of the rooms near us, called the hotel lobby waste of time because the guy could not speak English had I been fluent in Indian or Parkistani then the problem might have been sorted out. Cops came eventually but we were ready to leave by then The walkways were full of empty beer can and bottles and the trash cans were overflowing had a shower, by the way the best part of the stay and left. Cannot comment on the breakfast as we had gone, If you like noisy rooms or nascar racing noises then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
5 Thank dalymath
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 16, 2003

Perspective; this is an $80/night hotel. It looks, feels and smells like an $80/night hotel. That part matched my expectations. The incredible highway noise from I-95 just a few hundred feet away was beyond anything I could have imagined. Every truck that went by all night was so loud that it rattled the vent in the air conditioner unit. I hardly slept at all. I guess this is OK if you're from a noisy city or live on a busy road or highway. I don't and couldn't stand it. I almost left at 2AM but had nowhere else to go! I was happy as a lark when the sun came up and I checked out without a moments hesitation. One night from Hell. Never again.

14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member