“We Like it Here: Unpretentious and Pretty Good”
Review of Ebisu

Ebisu
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
West Palm Beach, Florida
“We Like it Here: Unpretentious and Pretty Good”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

There is nothing pretentious about Ebisu Japanese restaurant. It is located in a smallish strip mall in Palm Beach Gardens. It's easy to find. It is just across the street from the PGA Boulevard entrance and exit to the Florida turnpike and also at the entrance into the PGA National Resort and community. There is also a large LA Fitness Center in the mall. Ebisu occupies one of the corners, somewhat hidden away from the main activities of the mall.

There is ample parking directly in front of the restaurant. When you walk in you are greeted by a friendly host or hostess. The dining room is simple, if not somewhat traditional. There is a sushi bar where the sushi is prepared along with a series of tables and booths. The menu is complete. Pretty much every traditional or typical offering one comes to expect from a mid-level American Japanese restaurant. Pretty much all of our food was good with one exception. The Beef Negimaki was tough and chewy. A bit of a disappointment in an otherwise nice meal. We had the Gyoza soup and Shumai to start along with a Spicy Tuna Sandwich, a Shrimp Tempura Roll and something they call Light My Fire. It was probably too much food, but we enjoyed all of it.

There's not much of a wine selection. In fact, what you get are single serving bottles from somewhere providing the usual suspects: Cabernet, Merlot, Chardonnay. Not expensive, but not particularly good.

We had a Groupon coupon. That was nice. We've been here before and we'll be back again.

• Visited April 2013

“Couldn't be better”
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

They have a wonderful and diverse happy hour menu. A bit like Japanese tapas. Everything I tried I loved.

• Visited April 2013
Boston
“Good lunch experience....not so great service...”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We went for lunch on a Groupon 2 for 1 box lunch special normally priced at $12.95. I had shrimp tempura as my selection - 1 shrimp, thin slice of avocado, smallish broccoli head and one other veggie. My friend had sushi. Both seemed fresh, as well as the rest of the lunch. Accompanying salad was minimal and miso-tofu soup ok. Place appeared clean, had no odor, ladies' room was clean. Not flash, but comfy for friends to meet and have Japanese food in comfort. Not particularly warm and welcoming but not unfriendly - kind of neutral.

For using Groupon I was expecting less; not sure if I'd be happy to pay $12.95 as regular lunch price. I'd eliminate the soup/salad and reduce the price by $2 as it would be worth that.

• Visited March 2013
Whittier, North Carolina
“Great Asian Experience”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Not a great deal of atmosphere but wonderful, fresh food. The service was excellent and the seaweed salad was great (and I don't especially like seaweed salad). It is a must try in PBG

• Visited February 2013
Hobe Sound, Florida
“Super Slow Service”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

First one in the restuarant when it opened. Waited almost an hour to get served. They brought my wife's entree first (after about 1/2 hr). She didn't wanted to start without me so we both stared at her food for another 1/2 hr. Wasn't worth the wait.

• Visited February 2013