“Worst hotel ever”

PGA National Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

The service was some of the worst we have ever seen. Golf was just okay. The lost our clubs twice and scrambled to find them.

Motel 6 provides better service. Hotel room was nice.

They are also grossly understaffed to support clients.

If your expectations are high lower them quickly. Also if you are a golfer do not play the Estates course....it's a dump.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Enzo S
bhorn_9, Bill Horn, Director of Operations at PGA National Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you very much Mr. Enzo for your comments on your expereince this past weekend. And please except my sincere apologies if our service standards didnt exceed your expectations. We realize there are choices available when spending your well earned money, and I again apologize if we fell below the mark. Please contact me directly in the future if you wish to try us again, and perhaps we could improve your memorable experience in a positive way. Be well.

There are newer reviews for PGA National Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 28, 2014

I was not sure about using PGA for my daughters wedding reception until I met the catering manager who was over the top helpful. I quickly realized that I was going to get a lot of "bang for my buck". I truly do not believe I would have received this level of service at any other venue in the area. The most professional, friendly staff (and this was right after PGA resort's largest event of the year ...The Honda Classic). The catering manager was spending time emailing details of our upcoming wedding during this huge event even though I knew she had a million other things to take care of that week. There were 3 weddings taking place on the grounds that day but you would have thought we were the only ones. The food, service, location for pictures, amenities for guests were the best we could ask for and every guest raved about how wonderful it turned out. Highly recommended! Many of our guests stayed the weekend enjoying the golf and tennis facilities and wonderful accommodations.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
bhorn_9, Bill Horn, Director of Operations at PGA National Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful response to our property and services that you and your guests experienced while stay at PGA National. Our Catering team is just one part of an incredible team charged with making lifelong memories for the couple and family. Congratulations to your daughter and her new husband from all the staff at PGA National, and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed three days. This is a busy convention hotel. The grounds are sprawling and beautiful. The location is thirty minutes from Palm Beach so this is likely a destination hotel with wonderful, golf, pool, racquet, croquet and fitness facilities. We had a pool side junior suite which was very nice. Our friends had a run of the house room that while smaller, was also very well done.

The bar was active and very good. We didn't have dinner in the hotel but we did have breakfast in the Terrace Restaurant on two occasions.

I would rate the breakfast as the low point in the stay. The buffet on Monday morning had an omelet station which was just ok as was the small limited buffet. On Tuesday morning the omelet station was missing so it was canned fruit, oatmeal, breads, scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage in the usual buffet vessels. Mediocre, by any standard. Disappointing, for a resort where you are spending over $400 a night for a room. I was surprised that the buffet had an automatic 18% gratuity added to the bill. I have traveled all over the world and never remember a gratuity being added to a buffet breakfast. On the third morning we left the hotel for our breakfast.

This resort charges a $25 resort fee per night per room regardless if you use any of them as was our case.

Nice place. Beautiful resort and golf, good service and friendly staff all around. I am sure it is a great venue for a corporate meeting or a golf vacation. The valet staff was excellent.

Room Tip: Request a pool exposure room. So called golf course view rooms may look over assorted views of bui...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for posting your comments about your experience, and for noting the service and friendliness of our staff. Thank you also for your points about the breakfast restaurant, as we are currently reviewing with our team some positive ways to improve that experience for our guests. We look forward to hosting you as our guest again. Have a Championship Day!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I enrolled in the Leadbetter Golf School and stayed at PGA National Resort. The food & beverage prices are a little on the high side bordering on outrageous BUT the friendliness and first class service more than made up for it. The golf courses are some of the best we've ever played on and the resort staff bend over backwards to make sure you have a great experience. The food IS great, however expensive, and the rooms are clean and all and all, it is a great place to stay and play golf. If you need golf instruction I recommend the David Leadbetter Golf Academy as the ratio of instructor to student is like 2 students per instructor. Our teacher, Bob Hite, is the best I've ever had and I've played golf for over 40 years. What he taught me in two days was worth every penny.

Room Tip: 2nd floor looking East are great
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind response to your experience at PGA National. The entire David Leadbetter team, including Bob, are really true golf instructor professionals so thank you for mentioning that personalized experience. We truely appreciate your comments and hope to see you back soon. Have a Championship Day!!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Stayed last week after the Honda Classic. I expected the staff to be worn out...not! I have never been treated better at any resort. I have stayed in Delray and Boca at resort hotels. This is the first in South Florida that treated me like I mattered. The others were doing you a favor. Golf, restaurants, pool and spa were all outstanding. I will be back.

Room Tip: The patio room by the pool great access to everything
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
bhorn_9, Bill Horn, Director of Operations at PGA National Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind words and were glad you had a wonderful experience at PGA National and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

My wife and I arrived Thursday evening. Had a great meal in the Ironwood restaurant. Excellent Steak and Seafood entries. Wait Staff was very personable and engaging. Breakfast Friday morning at the Terrace restaurant...where the wait staff seems to know your name. Ordered off the menu. Great start for the day. Warmed up on the Champ Range Friday morning and played the Faizio on Friday. Excellent track.

Played the Champ on Saturday with another couple..with caddies...the only way to go on the Champ. It was in great shape and really fun to play the same course as the Pros played the weekend before. The Bear Trap was intimidating but I managed to birdie 17. So much talk about the Bear Trap and it is a very difficult and visually intimidating 3 hole stretch, but when your done with that stretch, you still have the 18th, which I also find challenging.

We enjoyed the new Piano bar outside the Ironwood Restaurant where we enjoyed some cocktails and made special request of the preforming duo....great fun. Dinner followed in the Ironwood. I had the filet and my wife had the strip steak. Both were very flavorful and cooked to our exact requests. Excellent meal followed by a great desert.
One more day of golf on Sunday....back to the Fazio.

We relaxed at the pool after Golf on Sunday. I personally really enjoyed the background entertainment which consisted of a guitar player playing all the classics...at least from my generation. Very relaxing. A dip in the salt water pool was very refreshing.

Great facility with great golf courses that provides attention to every detail. The rooms were comfortable and very tastefully done. Golf equipment was loaded on our carts in anticipation of our arrival each day.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for being our guest during a very special time of year with the Honda Classic. Its amazing to be able to play the exact same course as the Pro's, and The Champ surely tests your golf skills. The Piano Bar is our newest concept and entertainment amenity and its receiving rave reviews so thank you for mentioning.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were not guests of this hotel, but went to Ibar on a Friday night to listen to the piano & lounge singer and decided to eat dinner. The room is cozy and the entertainment was very good. They offer a bar menu as well as a full service menu. We went with some bar items and some appetizers. Karen had the French onion soup which had way too much of a blob of cheese. she also had the crab cake and said it was good. Eric had the fondue, which was a really weird bright white milky flour tasting concoction, no real taste other than described. Kind of an odd bread accompaniment as well. He then had the Charcuterie plate, which wasn't much better. Very unimaginative & poor quality meats & cheese. I had the roasted beet salad with goat cheese & heirloom tomatoes, which I enjoyed except it was way too much of it. I then had the crab cocktail which in contrast was not enough but was very good. The dinner menu was very $$$$$ and we were glad we didn't order any main courses based on what we ate.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your response and for enjoying our new Piano Bar concept. I'm sorry if some of the selected food options didn't meet your expectations. We are still tinkering a bit with the menu options and will bring these points up to the Chef to review.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Gardens
Embassy Suites by Hilton Palm Beach Gardens PGA Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Palm Be...
#4 of 11 in Palm Beach Gardens
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and Executive Meeting Center Palm Beach Gardens
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel and E...
#6 of 11 in Palm Beach Gardens
Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa

Been to PGA National Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!