“Comfortable conference stay, worked well, didn't feel exceptional”

PGA National Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Shalimar, Florida
“Comfortable conference stay, worked well, didn't feel exceptional”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I stayed at the PGA for a conference. I'm not a golfer, so was not overawed by the location.
The staff were efficient and helpful. The room was comfortable, but not exceptional. I was concerned to find that in the bathroom, though on the face of it clean, there was a dried contact lens on the floor and some very small pieces of trash. I left them to see what would happen, and the next day the bathroom was perfectly clean.

The conference food was good. Not exceptional, but nothing to complain about.

Overall I can't really fault the hotel, but had a niggleing suspicion that it could be better.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
North Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Great place to stay, loved the area near the Garden Mall. Everyone was helpful even during this very busy time of the year. Everyone at the bar was great with drinks and food although they were very busy. Would return anytime!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I had high hopes but it wasn't impressed. I went to check in 3 hours prior to the stated check in time (my choice, I know). The reminded me that checking time was 4pm and said that they would call my cell phone. We went for a drink by the pool then went back to the lobby to read. While we were in the lobby, I watched party after party checking in. I went back to the desk at 315 pm and asked if my room was ready and the front desk agent said yes it's been ready for awhile (where's was my call????). After I checked in, I requested a bellman to bring our bags to our room(checked the bags with them when I found out we couldn't check-in early. They were promptly brought to our room. I have to admit, the rooms are pretty and modern. I liked the robes in the rooms and having a extra sink outside of the bathroom so both people could get ready at the same time. I liked having a mini fridge in my room, however, ours didn't work. They brought us another, but that now didn't seem to keep anything cold. I was told that it's not a true fridge, but a cooler. At 9pm, our water was warmer then when we put it in at 4pm. The front desk agent told me other guests put bags of ice in them and that helps with keeping it cold. We didn't want to chance a puddle of water on the floor. If that's what you need to do, I don't get it. Also, the TV kept going out or freezing, like a satellite tv system does during a storm. The front desk agent said they knew-the satellite company has been there daily and there's nothing they can do about it. There was a group of children playing tag in the lobby and down the halls, but the staff didn't say anything to them. The restaurant and bars (not the coffee shop) automatically add 18% gratuity to the bills, regardless of the size of the party. Only one bartender informed us of this. The coffee shop ran out of bagels, croissants and breakfast sandwiches by 930 am Saturday. On Friday when we had a drink at the pool restaurant while we were waiting for our room, we each had one drink, the server asked how we were doing. We said fine and she brought us the bill. That didn't mean we didn't want another! On the positive side, their fish tacos are very good, however service can be slow.

I just wasn't impressed for the prices they charged for the room, food and drinks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Allison D
Orlando
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Rooms were clean & big. Hotel was fabulous. All staff was friendly & helpful. Spa was very relaxing and wonderful. There is a lot to see and do. Many restaurants on premises. Beautiful grounds. You can't go wrong staying here..worth a trip.

• Stayed December 2013
Saugus, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have stayed at PGA National 4 times this past year. I can't say enough about the 5 star treatment I receive every time. I have played in the Italian Open twice and Bear Trap Open once. The staff is awesome and really goes out of their way at all times. Chris Berry does a phenomenal job running everything for the golf tournaments and makes it extremely enjoyable. I'd also like to comment on the great service provided by Chris George. Any time I need anything at all related to transportation, restaurants etc, Chris always has great ideas and goes above and beyond helping me out. It really is a good feeling to know that he genuinely cares about my experience at the resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Miami
Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed here for the first time with the family for a Junior Tennis tournament. The two bedroom cottages looked perfect for a family of five, but in reality, the one we stayed in at least was in need of some deep cleaning. After running around the unit barefoot our kids' feet were dark with dirt. The mattresses were fairly ancient feeling, and there were even VHS tapes under the TV, but no VHS player. I get a feeling that these may be individually owned and rented by the resort, but if so, that should be made clear. It is a little concerning to be staying in a unit next to units that are clearly occupied by full-time residents, especially when you have small kids.

The rest of the property is pretty nice and the tennis courts are very well maintained.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is the third year running the IO at PGA. The numbers have grown each year and this year we had 70 golfers. The staff and ammenities at PGA were First Class. Every detail was handled and even though they cant control the weather the staff was creative in moving our Bocci tournament inside to the ballroom. Its details and accomodations such as this that make PGA the place to be. Our Clambake in Bar 91 was over the top good. Food and selection were better than any 4 star restaurant. The Glow Ball putting was a Huge hit. I cant wait for next years event. Keep up the Great work.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Gardens
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#2 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Embassy Suites by Hilton Palm Beach Gardens PGA Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Palm Be...
#4 of 11 in Palm Beach Gardens
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Beach Gardens
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Beach Gar...
#1 of 11 in Palm Beach Gardens
Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
Four Seasons Resort, Palm Beach

Been to PGA National Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!