“The Great Escape”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stuart, Florida, United States
“The Great Escape”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I had a fabulous time as we do every year when we come for Fathers Day weekend. We love the newly decorated rooms and everthing from the service to the facilities was top notch. The breakfast buffet was delicious, the grill cheese at the poolside bar is the best you'll ever taste, and the Delmonico steak at the Ironwood Grill was cook to perfection. The golf course was in pristene condition and my wife says the Spa alone was worth the trip. PGA always does a superb job of making you feel welcome. We love it here and intend to visit as often as possible.

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are great if you want easy pool access but the other side is great too if you want mo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We spent a wonderful 5 days at the Resort. We have family that live in the resort and with a 3 year old, we thought having a room of our own may be a better option. SO glad we did! The room was perfect! We had a kitchen table, fridge, a leather sectional and a large balcony! The bathroom area is great with 2 sinks (one in the shower area, one outside) and the only complaint I had was no bathtub. Not only do I enjoy a nice bath, but convincing my son a shower was fun, didn't really work. The lobby is beautiful with a coffee shop that served a nice assortment of hot & cold coffees & breakfast items that we brought back & enjoyed in the room, along with lots of sitting areas and a fantastic large bar. The Spa was wonderful. We took turns going for massages and enjoyed the private pool area. Might not have been the best massage, but it was a massage and I was on vacation. Works for me. The zero entry pool is perfect for kids & adults. My son loved it and it meant I didn't have to stand guard at a set of stairs that he would want to climb up & down the entire time. They even had another pool with sprinkler type fountains that was ankle deep but he enjoyed the other pool better. Every day we had a wonderful lunch at the poolside restaurant and enjoyed some pretty delicious Pina' Coladas!! We will stay here every time we visit our family and would take a trip here even if they didn't live at the Resort! The price was very reasonable too!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed at PGA in June 2013, it is a pretty nice property. The grounds are very clean and manicured. The bellmen and valet are very attentive, the check-in went very smooth. We were in rm# 4042 the room was clean and fresh, looks like a recent renovation. I think the room amenities were lack luster and could have been better quality. Housekeeping service was a bit slow, but that is to be expected now days my guess is it's like every other hotel ( they pile the rooms on the housekeeper and limit her cleaning time instead of having enough staff to do the job properly) Let me guess: 18 rooms and 30 minutes per room, yea, that's not enough time to clean a room properly! We did not eat in the restaurant, there are plenty of great eateries around the area, and hotel restaurants are over priced. I did try to purchase a coke from the grab-n-go but there was a sign on the counter that said "Be back in 5 minutes" and the coke would have been $4.00 for a 16 oz. so I passed. We did have drinks at the lobby bar they were served properly and priced right (for hotel lobby bar) The lobby is beautiful and well kept, a very busy place. It seems like the hotel does many things to liven up the atmosphere like having DJ's and bands in public areas Pool and Lobby. Overall it's a nice hotel and I would go back and recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank conchmac
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This is our second year going for Father's Day. The resort does a great job making Father's Day Fun. The Burger and Beer Bash was fun. The spa is amazing and the special salted pools make it the perfect place to relax and unwind. I used my Hotel Inspector UV Stain Finder to examine the cleanliness of the room and it was perfect and clean!

• Stayed June 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our golf group of 40 players visited PGA Naitional for the fourth time just last week. The golf courses are first rate and the Ironwood restaurant, the lobby iBar, and poolside facilities make the after-golf experience very enjoyable. The golf staff takes care of our every need with a smile and asks if there is anything else they can do. Re-modeling of the lobby, iBar, and rooms looks great and for the most part is very comfortable. Our bed was a little soft, but that's the only negative among many positives. We have visited other resorts around the country and we love coming back to PGA National!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room away from the pool area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank George G
Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed at PGA because they had an event held there. Lovely resort. It was hot outside so we enjoyed the afternoon in the lobby's iBar.
The resort itself boasts friendly, helpful staff, delicious food and comfy rooms.
I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I'll start off saying I'm not a picky traveller. One learns that not everything is perfect and you strive for a relaxing, enjoyable experience. The impression I get from my stay at PGA National is that the resort thinks it doesn't have to work as hard as its competitors. This visit is part of a 3 resort tour my son and I are taking as part of a golf odyssey. The contrasts are interesting and disappointing. First and foremost is the condition of the golf courses. Each of the resorts are "premium", but the PGA resort is the only one of the three which did not inform of the on-going maintenance on their courses. In fact the other resorts went out of their way to emphasize this during the reservation process. I was able to switch some dates around to maximize the experience. Not so with PGA. Our first round on the Palmer course was paid at full rate, no mention of course conditions. The greens were recently top dressed with sand and were basically sand greens. A nice course, standard resort fair, but $140 for such conditions? And no warning even at the pro shop when paying? Our hopes were up for the next day though, a round on the Champions course had to be a highlight to anticipate. But not so much. Upon arriving at the golf desk the next morning, we were informed of a discounted round due to recent aerification of the champions course. The conditions were better that the Palmer course to be sure, and the layout of this tour event host course was enjoyable. But why did we learn of the conditions the day of the round when I had spoken to the golf staff a month earlier when booking tee times?

A few other minor notes. The check in process showed a similar lack of attention. We arrive at 4pm, which is the advertised check in time. We were informed the room would be ready in twenty minutes. An hour later, I had to approach the front desk. For a resort that considers themselves to be top notch, maybe they need to look at the service they actually provide. And lastly, when checking in for golf, they asked if I were on a package, I said "I think so". I was brusquely told I was not and that I should check with the front desk to see if a package was available. My expectations of a premium resort is that the resort staff should coordinate amongst themselves to provide the customer with the best experience, not pass the buck to another department.

In summary, a nice golf resort which needs to focus on the customer experience and not rest on their reputation.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Greg H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm Beach Gardens
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#2 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Beach Gardens
Hilton Garden Inn Palm Beach Gar...
#2 of 11 in Palm Beach Gardens
Embassy Suites by Hilton Palm Beach Gardens PGA Boulevard
Embassy Suites by Hilton Palm Be...
#4 of 11 in Palm Beach Gardens
Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa
Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to PGA National Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!